GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,264
1 members and 2,263 guests
Sciencewoman

Old 08-20-2005, 12:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Smu

Good Morning,

I've always wondered what rush is like at SMU. I have friends that are in a sorority there and I remember when they were going thru rush. It sounded so different than where I went to school (small southern state school). I've talked to a couple of people in Dallas over the years and they mentioned how big a deal rush is at SMU and how the media comes out for the event, etc. I remember reading about the Bid Day in the Pledged book and wondered if that is an accurate description or just fictionalized. When my friends pledged, I remember their mom saying they could remain friends since they were in the same group. She was saying that certain sororities won't socialize with other sororities. That is so different than where I went to school - looking back I had friends in each of the Greek organizations. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

BTW - that is one of the prettiest campuses I've ever been on. The houses are absolutely amazing.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-20-2005, 01:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Here's a link to the SMU Greek Life web site. http://people.smu.edu/greeks/index/

ETA: Deleted basic jargon for recruitment and to call the Office of Greek Life. Oops-- I thought you were a PNM and then reading other posts saw you are an alum from another school. Sorry!

Last edited by adpiucf; 08-20-2005 at 01:37 PM.
Old 08-21-2005, 12:35 PM
GreekChat Member

SMU is a deferred rush campus. I was an alum volunteer there a few times over the years when I lived in Dallas.

There's a hard and fast pecking order, and the social aspects go on year after year. SMU is in the Highland Park bubble, and if you went to SMU and still live in Dallas, you really need to live in Highland/University Park and make year round recruitment your life's work.

There are women who begin identifying PNM's while girls are still in junior high school. I'm not exaggerating, and I've seen it first hand. Silly stuff, IMO.

SMU is a good school, by the way, if that is at all important...
Old 08-22-2005, 05:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you AnchorAlum for the information. I would love to know about the pecking order, but I understand if we need to take the conversation off of the board. I'm not sure how the PM works, but if someone could explain it...... I'm traveling this week and my laptop crashed so I'm checking the board off and on. Thanks again.