GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,225
0 members and 1,225 guests
No Members online

Old 09-21-2016, 11:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Should I wait it out?

Hi there!

I've been interested in joining Greek Life for quite some time and was recently invited to a COB event from a chapter on my campus. However, I have plans of transferring to an SEC school next fall. At that point, I will be a junior. Does it make sense to see if I have a chance at joining the chapter at my current school, or just wait until fall of next year and rush at the SEC school to find my home?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-22-2016, 06:10 AM
Super Moderator

Does the COB sorority have a chapter at the SEC school?
Old 09-22-2016, 07:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Looking at this from all angles, your chances of joining as a junior at a SEC school will probably not be good as a transfer student if you don't know anyone. They would be better if you have good friends/connections in chapters at the new school. Most groups want freshmen because they'll be around for 4 years, and even if there is a separate upperclassmen quota (this is often less than 10 women), you're competing against women the members know and like from clubs and other activities, and transfers they know from home. Chances will also be improved if you have recs, excellent college grades, have been participating in campus activities at your current school, etc.

If you join now and transfer to a school that has a chapter of the sorority, as FSUZeta asked, you could possibly join that chapter as an affiliate (transfer) member. Each sorority has different policies for how this is handled...some chapters vote, some may automatically affiliate you. You'd still be a member for life, but if for some reason the transfer chapter doesn't affiliate you (or any transfer members), you could not be an actively participating member of that undergraduate chapter. You'd be an alumna member.

On the other hand, if the COBing chapter finds out you're transferring in the fall, they would probably not use one of their available bids to offer you membership, because they will want members who will be staying. Each group is capped at the campus total number set by Panhellenic each year/semester, and each group will want to reach that number through COB. They won't want a revolving door of add one, lose one, try to add another to get to total, etc. This is nothing personal, but groups want members who will be participating for several years.

So, there is a lot to consider and your question is a good one to ask. If you're offered a bid and accept it, do some investigating before you actually initiate...is there a chapter at your potential new school? What is the affiliation process?

I transferred and affiliated, and the new chapter had to vote on my affiliation. I didn't know I'd be transferring when I joined...I joined as a freshman and transferred at the beginning of my junior year. I communicated ahead of time with the new chapter and moved right into the house when I transferred.

Last edited by Sciencewoman; 09-22-2016 at 10:09 AM.
Old 09-22-2016, 08:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
Does the COB sorority have a chapter at the SEC school?
Yes they do!
Old 09-22-2016, 08:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
Looking at this from all angles, your chances of joining as a junior at a SEC school will probably not be good as a transfer student if you don't know anyone. They would be better if you have good friends/connections in chapters at the new school. Most groups want freshmen because they'll be around for 4 years, and even if there is a separate upperclassmen quota (this is often less than 10 women), you're competing against women the members know and like from clubs and other activities, and transfers they know from home. Chances will also be improved if you have recs, excellent college grades, have been participating in campus activities at your current school, etc.

If you join now and transfer to a school that has a chapter of the sorority, as FSUZeta asked, you could possibly join that chapter as an affiliate (transfer) member. Each sorority has different policies for how this is handled...some chapters vote, some may automatically affiliate you. You'd still be a member for life, but if for some reason the transfer chapter doesn't affiliate you (or any transfer members), you could not be an actively participating member of that undergraduate chapter. You'd be an alumna member.

On the other hand, if the COBing chapter finds out you're transferring in the fall, they would probably not use of of their available bids to offer you membership, because they will want members who will staying. Each group is capped at the campus total number set by Panhellenic each year/semester, and each group will want to reach that number through COB. They won't want a revolving door of add one, lose one, try to add another to get to total, etc. This is nothing personal, but groups want members who will be participating for several years.

So, there is a lot to consider and your question is a good one to ask. If you're offered a bid and accept it, do some investigating before you actually initiate...is there a chapter at your potential new school? What is the affiliation process?

I transferred and affiliated, and the new chapter had to vote on my affiliation. I didn't know I'd be transferring when I joined...I joined as a freshman and transferred at the beginning of my junior year. I communicated ahead of time with the new chapter and moved right into the house when I transferred.
Wow, thank you for your response. There is a lot to consider and I'll definitely take everything you said into account. How would I find out the affiliation process? How was your transition into the house you transferred to?
Old 09-22-2016, 09:33 AM
GreekChat Member

There has been a lot of growth at SEC schools and the new chapters take a few years to get the numbers they want, and therefore they may be more willing to consider you.

But here's a caveat. Many sororities that are strong in the SEC won't automatically accept transfers into the chapter. There would be so many girls who would go to some school where the top chapter at Bama is the worst chapter at that school. Easier to get in. And neither chapter benefits from you gaming the system. So in short, your plan could fail, even after joining and committing for a lifetime.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Personally, I would go to the COB event and see how it goes. Maybe you don't like the girls or they don't offer you a bid, and then your dilemma is moot. Or maybe you decide not to transfer and then you can still be a member at your current school. However, I would rather join a sorority and have lifetime alumna membership than potentially never join an organization at my new school. Is there a new sorority colonizing at the SEC school? Those are usually more open to upperclassmen or women who are transfer students.
Old 09-22-2016, 10:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherryblossom90 View Post
Wow, thank you for your response. There is a lot to consider and I'll definitely take everything you said into account. How would I find out the affiliation process? How was your transition into the house you transferred to?
Ask about the affiliation process after you accept a bid from this group, if they offer one. You have a window of time before initiation where, if it turns out the transfer chapter doesn't take affiliates and you're definitely transferring, you could drop and try recruitment afresh at your new campus. You will probably need to contact the transfer chapter and ask what their policy is...even if the national/international sorority has an affiliation process, the specific chapter may not accept affiliates as a rule, due to the reason DubaiSis mentioned. Just realize that if you initiate, you are a life member and you can never join another NPC sorority...and there are no extenuating circumstances that would allow this.

I had a great experience as an affiliate...fit right in with my new sisters. But, your mileage may vary, as chapter vibe and personalities vary. If you get a bid, initiate, and then definitely decide to transfer, and you know they accept affiliates, I would reach out to the new chapter ahead of time and make a friendly overture, visit once or twice, etc.
Old 09-22-2016, 01:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
There has been a lot of growth at SEC schools and the new chapters take a few years to get the numbers they want, and therefore they may be more willing to consider you.

But here's a caveat. Many sororities that are strong in the SEC won't automatically accept transfers into the chapter. There would be so many girls who would go to some school where the top chapter at Bama is the worst chapter at that school. Easier to get in. And neither chapter benefits from you gaming the system. So in short, your plan could fail, even after joining and committing for a lifetime.
From what I understand, the chapter that invited me to COB isn't very good on my campus, but is a good chapter at the SEC school.
Old 09-22-2016, 01:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
Personally, I would go to the COB event and see how it goes. Maybe you don't like the girls or they don't offer you a bid, and then your dilemma is moot. Or maybe you decide not to transfer and then you can still be a member at your current school. However, I would rather join a sorority and have lifetime alumna membership than potentially never join an organization at my new school. Is there a new sorority colonizing at the SEC school? Those are usually more open to upperclassmen or women who are transfer students.
Interesting, thank you
Old 09-22-2016, 01:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
Ask about the affiliation process after you accept a bid from this group, if they offer one. You have a window of time before initiation where, if it turns out the transfer chapter doesn't take affiliates and you're definitely transferring, you could drop and try recruitment afresh at your new campus. You will probably need to contact the transfer chapter and ask what their policy is...even if the national/international sorority has an affiliation process, the specific chapter may not accept affiliates as a rule, due to the reason DubaiSis mentioned. Just realize that if you initiate, you are a life member and you can never join another NPC sorority...and there are no extenuating circumstances that would allow this.

I had a great experience as an affiliate...fit right in with my new sisters. But, your mileage may vary, as chapter vibe and personalities vary. If you get a bid, initiate, and then definitely decide to transfer, and you know they accept affiliates, I would reach out to the new chapter ahead of time and make a friendly overture, visit once or twice, etc.
Perfect, I'll keep this all in mind, thank you!!
Old 09-22-2016, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherryblossom90 View Post
From what I understand, the chapter that invited me to COB isn't very good on my campus, but is a good chapter at the SEC school.
Then the SEC chapter probably wouldn't welcome you anyway, and if they did, you might feel uncomfortable if you liked the chapter at your present school.

If the transfer isn't set in stone, go and see how you like this chapter. It might actually be the thing that makes you have a new perspective on your current school. But if the transfer is set in stone, you owe it to the women of this sorority to let them know. It sounds like they are looking for women to help them strengthen and build and a member who's going to be there less than a year might not be something they need right now.