GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,143
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, liscahvs8263

Old 08-28-2006, 08:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Question Information needed

I am seeking information on Spring Rush like, is it by invitation, dates when they usually start, etc...
Also some clarification on the abbreviations that are being used:
COB
PNM
SPI, etc

Thanks in advance as I have never rushed and am kind of lost ...
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-28-2006, 08:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Nolemum: Spring rush usually varies by school and chapter.

I believe most students could talk to the Greek Life office and ask which sororities are holding COR and contact information to get in touch with their Recruitment Chair. Many chapters participating in COR encourage their active sisters to invite women they already know who aren't greek.

Regarding the abbreviations you inquired about:

* COR / COB = Continuous Open Recruitment / Bidding - Means chapters who have not yet reached total can continue to recruit outside the formal recruitment structure and bid however many women they need to reach total

* PNM - Potential New Member

* SPI - Single Preference I... something? haha I don't remember this one exactly, but it pretty much means that a woman put down only one group on her bid card at the end of formal recruitment instead of ranking the 2 or 3 sororities that she preffed during formal recruitment.

I know there are several other women here who can elaborate
Old 08-28-2006, 08:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
You were close TP. It's SIP - Single Intentional Preference.

Nolemum, the best thing that your daughter can do right now is to call or visit the Greek Life office and put her name in for COR. Best wishes,
Old 08-28-2006, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator

cob=continous open bidding,also know as informal recruitment

pnm=potential new member, formally known as rushee,someone seeking sorority membership

sip=single, intentional preference, formally known as suicide-when a pnm decides she will accept a bid from only one sorority and lists that sorority alone on her preference list

quota=the maximum # of pnms a chapter can pledge during formal recruitment

total=the maximum number of members a chapter can have(the only time that chapters can go over total is when they pledge quota and that puts them over total)

ordinarily, when sororities do not make quota(pledging the mazimum number of pnms they can during formal recruitment) they will participate in informal recruitment(also known as cob or cor), in addition to being able to continue recruiting girls until they reach quota, they can also continue to recruit girls until the chapter meets total. they ordinarily invite the girls via telephone or email, but they might ask some of their new members(pledges) if they know any great girls who they would want as pledge sisters.

informal recruitment is so much more relaxed-chapters may invite pnms to go bowling with them, skating, sitting with them at a sporting event, see a movie, grab some ice cream, invite them over to the house for lunch or dinner, invite the pnms over to the house to watch a favorite tv show,etc.

they may divide the chapter up into smaller groups so that it is less intimidating to the pnm-in other words, the pnm may do an activity with four or five sisters and other pnm, or that group may meet up with another small group and do something together. they might also have a big event at the chapter house. it is totally up to the chapter what they choose to do, and there is really no time limit to when they begin or when they end. theoritically, they could recruit all semester until they reached quota or total and if they did not meet their goal in december, they could start back up with informal recruitment when they returned from christmas break.

if your daughter is interested in cob/cor, she should contact the panhellenic office to see if she needs to put her name on a list. since bid day at fsu was yesterday, today would be a good day for her to call. they might not yet know the when the chapters that did not reach their membership goals will start their informal activities, so she would have to use every ounce of patience!!

there might be a few more chapters participating in spring informal recruitment, if some chapters have enough members graduate to take the chapter below total, but i would hope that your daughter would give it a go this fall, so she doesn't miss out on all the fun starting right now!!

Last edited by FSUZeta; 08-28-2006 at 08:38 AM.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Spring informal recruitment begins, usually, the second week of classes. Interested parties need to register with the Greek Life office and then the chapters will contact them regarding open events. Past open events, it is by invitation only. Usually 2-3 houses have openings each spring.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank You

To all you wonderful ladies thank you for the information. I have passed it on to my daughter and she too is grateful. It was a long week but she will Rush in the Spring knowing what she knows now she feels better about everything. Thank you again,
NoleMUM
Old 08-31-2006, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator

best wishes to her (and to you) nolemum!!

but the way, most likely, the sororities who are doing informal recruitment right now, will be the same ones who will be participating in spring recruitment, so really, she needn't wait until spring.
Old 08-31-2006, 05:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Similar situation

Dear NoleMum, my daughter also rushed @ FSU only to find that after skit day she was cut from her top choice; she made the decision on Sat to drop. Is your daughter recovering from the pain she felt, and how is she handling it?

I am excited about the spring rush. It also sounds much less stress than what they just went through.

She was out the other night with a bunch of friends and ran into 3 girls into the restroom. One of the girls said to her, aren't you a XYZ legacy, and she said yes. Then the girl said her name, and asked why she didn't bid XYZ. She told them that they cut her after skit day. She said they were amazed and said that typically everyone who attended skit day always gets asked back. One of the girls said she was a legacy last yr & got in. They were going to investigate and get back to her. Even if nothing happens, it comforted her to know they were pulling for her, and she has made some new friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemum
To all you wonderful ladies thank you for the information. I have passed it on to my daughter and she too is grateful. It was a long week but she will Rush in the Spring knowing what she knows now she feels better about everything. Thank you again,
NoleMUM

Last edited by FSMOM; 08-31-2006 at 05:56 PM.
Old 08-31-2006, 05:58 PM
GreekChat Member

I thought FSU did a limited spring rush with chapters who did not make quota in the fall..am I right? or have they changed it where most chapters do it? I'm a huge FSU fan and love how its such a "southern" school!
Old 08-31-2006, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator

liltrixx, you are exactly right. only those sororities who are not at total or who did not make quota in the fall will hold spring recruitment. that is why i advised nolemum that there is no need for her daughter to wait until the spring- those sororities who are cobing right now, will be the ones participating in the spring. the pnms should check them out now, and get in on the fall fun.

most of the sororities at fsu are above total by a good amount of members. they would have to graduate a boatload of seniors in december and go below total to be eligible to participate in spring recruitment. they cannot participate in spring recruitment if they are above total.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:01 AM
GreekChat Member

FSMOM please check your PM box