GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,471
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, veasfrances2534
» Online Users: 2,100
0 members and 2,100 guests
No Members online

Old 11-06-2004, 09:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Is FSU a competitive school?

I see that some other girls are thinking about rushing already and so I guess it is time for me to think about it, too. I am pretty sure that I am going to Florida State or Alabama. I know Alabama is competitive but what about FSU? Will I need recs for each sorority? How important is my GPA (it is pretty good) and activities? How many girls are in FSU sororities? I heard they are really big chapters and that is a little scary.

Thanks for your advice.

Pix
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-06-2004, 09:22 PM
Unregistered-

Welcome to GC.

If you do a search on recruitment at FSU, you will bring up discussions from this year's Fall Recruitment as well as in years past. There is also a thread going into detail about FSU facts and figures.

Recruitment there is competitive, judging from reading the threads alone. We've had FSU success stories here on GC, and we've also had PNMs drop out of recruitment for whatever reason.

Again, if you feel like reading more about FSU, the search function can be your friend!
Old 11-06-2004, 09:30 PM
GreekChat Member

The search function won't let you search for something with only three letters, so put FSU* and whatever else you want -- like FSU* recruitment or FSU* rush.
Old 11-06-2004, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Campus total is 135
Larger chapters run upwards to 150-180.

Yes, it is competitive, but not overly so. There are now 15 houses from which to choose.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 11-06-2004, 11:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
Welcome to GC! Here are a few threads:

FSU Recruitment Stats

SDT Colonization at FSU

Nolegirl's recruitment at FSU

Seminole Mom's Recruitment Thread

These threads should keep you occupied for a while. Happy reading!
Old 11-07-2004, 07:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via AIM to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via Yahoo to PhiPsiRuss
Re: Is FSU a competitive school?

Quote:
Originally posted by pixie123
I see that some other girls are thinking about rushing already and so I guess it is time for me to think about it, too. I am pretty sure that I am going to Florida State or Alabama. I know Alabama is competitive but what about FSU? Will I need recs for each sorority? How important is my GPA (it is pretty good) and activities? How many girls are in FSU sororities? I heard they are really big chapters and that is a little scary.

Thanks for your advice.

Pix
Yes, FSU is very competitive. GPA is important and activities are important.

The best thing that you can do is visit FSU, and get a tour from a Seminole Ambassador. Most of them are greek, so that's a great time to ask questions.
Old 11-07-2004, 10:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Hi pixie!
I'm a high school student too. Anyways, the only real reason that I've started thinking about recruitment is because most of my family is greek and I want to go greek.
I've heard that FSU and UF are a lot like rush at more traditionally southern schools. This means that recs are necassary for every sorority and multiple ones for sororities you are very intresseted in can never hurt you. GPA and activities can only make you stand out further.
Oh yea, I just got accepted to Alabama, so who knows, we might go through recruitment together!!
Anyways, Good Luck with everything!!
Old 11-07-2004, 01:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Pixie,

If I had read the FSU threads before my daughter started recruitment, I would have been a basket case for her. Luckily, I didn't and didn't drive her crazy with my worries.

My daughter did have a good GPA and several activities but she didn't ask for any recommendations. She attended a rush meeting in our town during last summer but recommendations were not really pushed. If she had realized the importance, I know she would have pursued them.

My daughter was asked back by all the sororities and found the hardest part of rush was cutting sororities from her list because she said every sororitiy had something good to offer. During the week, I think she changed her mind back and forth about which sorority was the right one for her. In the end, she received a bid from her number one choice and she is very happy. From what we saw at Parents' Weekend, it is a good fit.

I know, for her, it was best going into recruitment just planning for the best and not worrying about competitiveness. The running around all week, in the miserable heat and rain, is enough stress.

Good luck.
Old 11-09-2004, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator

pixie

please do yourself a favor and secure letters of recommendation to as many of the sororities at fsu as you possibily can. look at it this way, it gives each house the opportunity to know about you and all your accomplishments before recruitment. they will be looking for you when you come thru their door. it also gives you a leg up if there is one invitation left and it comes down to extending that invitation to you(with your rec.) or a girl who has no rec.
Old 11-11-2004, 10:09 AM
GreekChat Member

OK, I am wrong. My daughter was told that there were recommendations at her sorority for her. So, recommendations can be sent in for your without you asking? Guess she will always be in the dark as to who her benefactors were!
Old 11-11-2004, 10:17 AM
GreekChat Member

It can happen, but it could also be likely your daughter's sorority has a bylaw that requires an alumna recommendation in order to be initiated, and usually the chapter adviser signs off on these, based on the good word of the chapter members. Either way, glad she's enjoying her sorority experience and FSU!
Old 11-11-2004, 12:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Pixie -

My daughter just went through recruitment at FSU this fall and found it to be very competitive. She had a great GPA, lots of extracurricular, service and leadership experience but so did 90% of the other girls going through recruitment with her.

She worked hard to get recs this summer and was able to secure them for all but two sororities. She really liked both of those sororities and they both ended up in her top five on Skit Day. One of them cut her and one of them invited her back to Prefs. There are many many reasons why she may have been cut besides not having a rec, but it may have helped had she had one. By the same token, she was invited back to prefs by a very strong chapter that she didnt have a rec for and many people have said on GC that if a house wants you...they'll get you a rec.

I will have to say that as stressful as recruitment was, she would have been much more stressed had she not obtained recs beforehand. She read everything there was to read on GC before she left for school and it definitely helped her to feel more confident. Many of her friends that went through recruitment at both FSU and UF didn't do the same amount of research or get recs and many of them ended up either dropping out or not accepting bids to sororities they didnt feel at home in.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is...yes it's competitive. Getting recs, while sometimes a hassle, can only help you. Also, while you're still in HS try to bulk up your "resume" as much as possible. Clubs, service work, leadership positions will also show that you are wellrounded and able to keep up with a busy schedule in addition to your schoolwork.

Good Luck to you! Enjoy your senior year and I hope no matter where you go to college you wind up as happy as my daughter is at her new TriDelta home!