GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,207
1 members and 1,206 guests
JayhawkAOII

Old 08-26-2012, 01:10 AM
GreekChat Member

A Sophomore Recruitment Story...Rush take 2 :)

Okay, so I went through rush as a freshman and ended up declining the bid I got...I know that sounds shallow, but the girls had a terrible reputation on campus and I felt like every conversation there was forced. I came to the conclusion that I was having an off week, and a lot of my unsuccessful recruitment was due to some bad stuff going on at home, yadayada.....

So. I met a ton of greek girls my freshman year, and they all encouraged me to go through recruitment again as a sophomore! So, here's my story!!

I go to a medium-sized state school in the south where greek life is a big deal! (Granted it's not Ole Miss, but we had almost 500 girls going through recruitment.) The chapters at my school are:

Alpha Delta Pi
Alpha Gamma Delta
Alpha Omicron Pi
Alpha Xi Delta
Chi Omega
Kappa Delta
Phi Mu
Sigma Kappa

I decided to name them after soda flavors!
Dr. Pepper
Sprite
Coke
Diet Coke
Pepsi
Ginger Ale
Mello Yello
Root Beer

Night One: Greek Orientation. Because I went through recruitment last year, this night was basically a rehash of last time, with a new video and a new Pi Chi group!

Night Two: Our Pi Chi group met up and wore cute t-shirts and shorts to visit all 8 of the chapters! Here were my thoughts:

Dr. Pepper - I talked to a girl who also rushed as a sophomore. It was super loud in this chapter room, but I liked it. I hadn't really met any girls from this chapter around campus throughout the semester though, so I had no idea how to take them.

Sprite - The girl I met from this chapter had a hard time keeping conversation with me...this chapter is a bit notorious for that.

Coke - I ended up getting paired with a girl from my major whom I absolutely LOVE. She is so much fun. We had a great conversation and I hoped to go back.

Diet Coke - This chapter has a great reputation on campus. The girls I talked to seemed really chill and both rushed as sophomores. So cute. I was impressed! Hope to return!

Pepsi - I am not a fan of this chapter at all...I was paired up with a girl from my floor last year who I rarely saw, and when I did she just didn't bother to talk to me. It felt a little forced.

Mello Yello - Every girl at this chapter seems so REAL. They're sweet and I would be honored to be a member.

Ginger Ale - This sorority is relatively new at my campus, and I was quite impressed with the way they handled recruitment. Sweet girls!

Root Beer - I was paired up in a 2-on-3 situation in which I was in a group with 2 other rushees. I hated this! I never got a chance to talk, and all the freshmen next to me could talk about was orientation week...I hoped I would like this chapter because I have a really good friend here.

I ranked these as my top choices for the evening!
Root Beer,
Ginger Ale,
Mello Yello,
Coke,
Diet Coke,
Dr. Pepper.

Day 3: I was pleased to find out I was asked back to 6 chapters! Unfortunately, my 2 bottom choices were both on my schedule, as Coke and Root Beer both cut me. No big deal.

My Schedule for Day 3:
Diet Coke - I LOVED this chapter today. The girls were so sweet and genuine. I want to go back!!!

Mello Yello - I could definitely see myself here. The only problem is that I only talked to girls I already knew in the chapter, so it was hard to find out how the rest of the girls were.

Dr. Pepper - Alright. I can tell this isn't my place though. I'll keep them on the list unless they drop me.

Sprite - I'm paired up with girls I already know for these parties. They are sweet but I can not see myself here, as the girls I know are pretty wild...and I am not..

Pepsi - Nope. Not happening.

Ginger Ale - So sweet and genuine!! I loved these girls!

Day 4: - Theme

I was asked back to 3 of my top 4 sororities for today!

Ginger Ale - So sweet. I could see myself here...

Diet Coke -I could definitely see myself here also! Such talkative, vibrant girls with big hearts.

Mello Yello - Their skit...eh. The girls I talked to...so great.

Sprite - Why was I the one leading the conversation....? Ugh.

I listed my top two for preference as:
Diet Coke
Mello Yello

Day 4: Preference!!

I got my top two choices for pref day. I loved both of them, and was so excited to go back!!

Diet Coke - I didn't cry at this pref party. The stories and songs shared were sweet, but it felt too good to be true for me to be there so I couldn't cry!

Mello Yello - I really liked the girl I talked to at this chapter. She was so genuine, but also the only one I talked to the entire time. She made me tear up a bit.

PREFERENCE CARD TIME!!!

I went ahead and listed Diet Coke as my first choice...I have no idea why. They have just been a great house the whole time. I would be ecstatic at either one on bid day though! Mello Yello was great. I could see myself here.

I was genuinely torn. I went and called my mom after I signed my bid card.o I had always wanted to be in Diet Coke, but the girls in Mello Yello said they really wanted me. Bid day is tomorrow, and I had a breakdown over thinking I had made the wrong choice. A lot of my friends went with Diet Coke, and I know I would have a great pledge class if I went there, but I would feel terrible if the girls at Mello Yello didn't see me tomorrow...they were telling me about their bid day shirts.......I talked to a recruitment counselor after I signed my bid card, and she said that it could not be changed and that I should just be happy with my decision. I made it for a reason and she said that whatever God's will is, will happen. I really hope that I made the right decision. I've debated with myself all afternoon and cried and cried because I was so upset over the decision. We'll see how bid day goes tomorrow! The energy will be high at either place and I can't wait to see who my new sisters are tomorrow, either way.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Can't wait to find out if you got Diet Coke or Mello Yello

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 08-26-2012, 09:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Isn't it a little bit sketchy that they described their Bid Day shirts? I don't know--maybe I'm being too sensitive here.
Anyway, hope everything went well! I liked how you set up your story and am ready for the ending.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
are you going to finish this or is it about to turn into another story that doesn't end?

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06
Old 08-27-2012, 08:38 PM
GreekChat Member

I find it kind of odd that after day 1 you ranked Root Beer as your top choice when you didn't even enjoy it. Kind of sounds like you have a tendency to choose based on reputation and not where you fit. I agree with your Rho Chi that you made your decision for a reason. Stand by it. You're very lucky to have had two chapters you loved to pref. Don't worry what others have to say about your sorority - the right decision will be based on your heart and gut feeling.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab225 View Post
I find it kind of odd that after day 1 you ranked Root Beer as your top choice when you didn't even enjoy it. Kind of sounds like you have a tendency to choose based on reputation and not where you fit. I agree with your Rho Chi that you made your decision for a reason. Stand by it. You're very lucky to have had two chapters you loved to pref. Don't worry what others have to say about your sorority - the right decision will be based on your heart and gut feeling.
I thought it was odd at first too until I thought about it a little longer. She probably could only rank two chapters low and had a better time at Root beer than Pepsi or Sprite. So maybe she used "top choice" to mean that she didn't rank any of those in her bottom two, instead of meaning they were her absolute favorites.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 08-31-2012, 05:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCsweet<3 View Post
I thought it was odd at first too until I thought about it a little longer. She probably could only rank two chapters low and had a better time at Root beer than Pepsi or Sprite. So maybe she used "top choice" to mean that she didn't rank any of those in her bottom two, instead of meaning they were her absolute favorites.

Yes. That's exactly what I meant by that. Thanks for understanding!

So...my bid card revealed that I got...........

MELLO YELLO!

The girls in my chapter are SO sweet and genuine and happy that I got it. I'm excited to see what this year holds. So, if you're wondering if you should go through sophomore year recruitment, I say YES! I really wanted Mello Yello my freshman year, didn't get it, and tried again my sophomore year. So it does work. Thanks for reading and good luck with recruitment, PNM's!

(By the way, I'm a Phi Mu now!)
Old 08-31-2012, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by greekpnm812 View Post
Yes. That's exactly what I meant by that. Thanks for understanding!

So...my bid card revealed that I got...........

MELLO YELLO!

The girls in my chapter are SO sweet and genuine and happy that I got it. I'm excited to see what this year holds. So, if you're wondering if you should go through sophomore year recruitment, I say YES! I really wanted Mello Yello my freshman year, didn't get it, and tried again my sophomore year. So it does work. Thanks for reading and good luck with recruitment, PNM's!

(By the way, I'm a Phi Mu now!)
Welcome!
Old 08-31-2012, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator

Congratulations to a fellow Macon Magnolia!