GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life > Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions New to GreekChat? This is where you can introduce yourself to the GreekChat community.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,442
0 members and 1,442 guests
No Members online

Old 11-16-2010, 11:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Hello I am Requesting Information

Hello All GreekChat.com members,
My name is Ryan and I am a current sophomore at Drexel University. I have been trying to do private research on how to start a Fraternity from scratch and have found myself at a road block in my search. Me and a few of my friends are very interested in starting an organization that will better our community not only on campus but in our surrounding community of Philadelphia. I have observed other Fraternities and have found that they all have their own aspects that make them who they are and make them stand out from the others. This is also where me and my fellow hopefuls have found a problem. We can't seem to find one that fits exactly to our desire's and hopes for what a fraternity can do for us and our community. We have thusly decided to start an organization of our own focused around our own ideals and principles. I am asking for information to help us start such an orginization. If any help and advice can be offered regarding insurance fees, GLO exams, how to get support from other standing and pre-existing Fraternities and what steps should be taken to make sure we do not offend any of the already existing Greek Community on campus.

Thank you,

Ryan
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-16-2010, 11:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rch480 View Post
Hello All GreekChat.com members,
My name is Ryan and I am a current sophomore at Drexel University. I have been trying to do private research on how to start a Fraternity from scratch and have found myself at a road block in my search. Me and a few of my friends are very interested in starting an organization that will better our community not only on campus but in our surrounding community of Philadelphia. I have observed other Fraternities and have found that they all have their own aspects that make them who they are and make them stand out from the others. This is also where me and my fellow hopefuls have found a problem. We can't seem to find one that fits exactly to our desire's and hopes for what a fraternity can do for us and our community. We have thusly decided to start an organization of our own focused around our own ideals and principles. I am asking for information to help us start such an orginization. If any help and advice can be offered regarding insurance fees, GLO exams, how to get support from other standing and pre-existing Fraternities and what steps should be taken to make sure we do not offend any of the already existing Greek Community on campus.

Thank you,

Ryan
This is a huge topic and I'm sure the search function can find similar threads as this one. We can't answer all of this for you because there are some things that you will have to research outside of the Internet and figure out along the way.

My only question to you is are you looking at local fraternities and trying to start another local fraternity? If the fraternities that you and your friends are observing are national fraternities, does the fraternity supposedly lack what you and your friends are looking for or does that particular chapter lack what you all are looking for?

Those questions make a big difference. Founding a GLO is not easy and it isn't always the answer. So many GLOs (and non-GLOs) are founded but do not last very long. As the years go by, there are tons of national and local GLOs. You need a clear understanding of what the existing GLOs have to offer before concluding that you need to found another one.

Last edited by DrPhil; 11-16-2010 at 11:21 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rch480 View Post
We have thusly decided to start an organization of our own focused around our own ideals and principles.
What are so different about your ideals and principles that they do not match with any existing group out there?
Old 11-17-2010, 09:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Talk to your Greek Life adviser. If your campus isn't open to having another (what I'll assume to be an NIC) group, you won't be able to attract a national organization. Your campus also might have rules against having a local fraternity. If your campus is not open to expansion and do not allow local fraternities, you will not be able to start a fraternity.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucgreek View Post
If your campus isn't open to having another (what I'll assume to be an NIC) group, you won't be able to attract a national organization.
Not necessarily. I'm aware, both from real life and from GC, of numerous occasions of NIC fraternities colonizing without campus approval or recognition.

And given his repeated references to what a fraternity could do to better the wider community, I wouldn't assume he's talking just about NIC fraternities.