GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,357
1 members and 1,356 guests
acg233

Old 05-03-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
Because everybody is a special little snowflake and the rules don't apply to them. I also think there is an issue with my generation with understanding the concept of commitment.
Yep. Welcome to today's college student where every situation is unique!
Old 05-03-2012, 09:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDCat View Post
I don't see the great harm in leaving these ladies on alumna status. For KD, a transfer student on alumna status has all the rights of an alumna. She can attend chapter and participate in recruitment as an alumna. She can attend any of the events the local alumnae are invited to -- Homecoming, philanthropy events, chapter dinners, etc.

If a transfer isn't accepted for affiliation, it's often because the chapter is at quota or close to it, and they'd like to fill the available spots with freshmen. It doesn't mean that the transfer isn't welcome. If she suits up, shows up, and volunteers to help out, she'll make friends and be included in the chapter's social life.
You can accept transfers even if you are above total.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Imagine what would happen on highly competitive campuses. Women might go through recruitment, be rejected by every single house, transfer to a regional/smaller/less competitive school, get initiated, then transfer back to the original competitive school to be automatically accepted and count against their quota. This would happen all the time.
I highly doubt this would happen that terribly often. Women may transfer to Big State U and try to affiliate all the time, but the number of women who specifically go to Small State U to get into a chapter through a back door is more advertised than reality. In my experience in a state that had a Big State U with the supposed issue, all the same chapters at the Small State Univs were also hard to get into.

Also in my experience, however, meeting at least 5 transfers from Big State U during my tenure in at Small State U, they had no interest in affiliating with their chapters upon transferring. (Who am I kidding, I'm talking about LSU and ULM.)

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 05-03-2012, 10:44 AM
GreekChat Member

I can totally understand how when someone from [I]little[I] college transfers to [B]BIG[B] U - the girls at Big U want to maintain some control about who moves into the house with them.

Let's review. How about a top five reasons I have heard for transfer?
1. Money situation changes and need to move closer to home or need to save money.
2. Didn't get in at the school they wanted the first time, so they try again and get it on the second try.
3. Program that they want isn't offered at the school they started at.
4. Don't feel like you fit in at your school.
Oh and I almost forgot - 5. a boy (or girl? a sweetheart. whichever.)

I really REALLY feel bad for the folks in category number 1. Bad things happen to good people. Unfortunately, this could mean not being able to fully participate in Greek life at your new school (but in this case maybe early alum status might be a relief?)

In all the other categories - this is why we wanted to give you a 6 to 8 week new member period before initiation. You should see these things coming. You should talk to people about them. They are important. You are talking about the REST of your life.
But hey #2 worked when they didn't get into the school they wanted, right?
Old 05-03-2012, 11:49 AM
Banned

It's not always a matter of a top tier house at a competitive campus refusing to affiliate a member transferring from a "lesser" chapter. Here are a couple of other circumstances I have seen play out:

-An intensely academic chapter has maintained the highest Greek GPA for many years and are very competitive about it. Mary Marginal wants to affiliate and her GPA is barely at the national minimum and far below the chapter's minimum.

-At a strong chapter at a smaller regional school where almost all students come from the same general area and everyone seems to have known everyone since high school. Hannah Ho wants to affiliate but her antics at the new college already reflect her legendary patterns of behavior from high school and her previous university.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greek_or_Geek? View Post
Mary Marginal

Hannah Ho
*snicker*

Old 05-03-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadCat25 View Post
This whole situation reminds me of the stories of vindictive college coaches who restrict the ability of college athletes to transfer to other schools. In one case I remember the coach said the athlete couldn't transfer to any school closer than an 8 hr drive from his school. These coaches have received tons of bad press on this issue.
This is apples and elephants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGTess View Post
I think a factor, perhaps small, perhaps not, is the lexicon. The system is not reminding women they've taken a PLEDGE. The word PLEDGE implies so much more than "new member" in terms of commitment.
A-friggin-men. I feel the same way about getting rid of the word "suicide" and pretending that "recruitment" isn't really still "rush." And not to get on a tangent, but referring to your pledges as "baby [fill in the mascot]s" doesn't exactly convey to them that they are taking on a LIFETIME RESPONSIBILITY. If anything, it does the opposite - lets them know nothing is expected of them except to look adorable and move on when they outgrow it.

Last edited by 33girl; 05-03-2012 at 12:30 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
And not to get on a tangent, but referring to your pledges as "baby [fill in the mascot]s" doesn't exactly convey to them that they are taking on a LIFETIME RESPONSIBILITY.
THIS!

It also doesn't convey that this is an honor or a privilege?
I thought we wanted them to be ladies?
Old 05-03-2012, 12:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Originally Posted by 33girl
And not to get on a tangent, but referring to your pledges as "baby [fill in the mascot]s" doesn't exactly convey to them that they are taking on a LIFETIME RESPONSIBILITY

Quote:
Originally Posted by HQWest View Post

THIS!

It also doesn't convey that this is an honor or a privilege?
I thought we wanted them to be ladies?
Wholeheartedly agree with both of you. That has turned into one of my biggest pet-peeves; especially considering they are women (I've never heard of fraternities doing this) who will become the leaders of their chapter, and maybe even officers/leaders in the larger organization one day.

Last edited by aggiegphi; 05-03-2012 at 12:36 PM. Reason: added 33's post to quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
A-friggin-men. I feel the same way about getting rid of the word "suicide" and pretending that "recruitment" isn't really still "rush." And not to get on a tangent, but referring to your pledges as "baby [fill in the mascot]s" doesn't exactly convey to them that they are taking on a LIFETIME RESPONSIBILITY. If anything, it does the opposite - lets them know nothing is expected of them except to look adorable and move on when they outgrow it.
I agree. By trying to go PC and get rid of words that have bad connotations, it would appear that some of the ideas have been lost. Mainly I feel this with "pledge". I also feel like most of the PC terms are pointless. Oregon changed "Greek Life" to "Fraternity and Sorority Life" because first term had bad connotations with it. Does it really change anything? No. Does using the terms, rush, pledge, or suicide change the fact that some people will haze or have PNMs SIP? No. It will still happen. Does New Member really carry over the idea that a person is pledging an organization?

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 05-03-2012, 12:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greek_or_Geek? View Post
It's not always a matter of a top tier house at a competitive campus refusing to affiliate a member transferring from a "lesser" chapter. Here are a couple of other circumstances I have seen play out:

-An intensely academic chapter has maintained the highest Greek GPA for many years and are very competitive about it. Mary Marginal wants to affiliate and her GPA is barely at the national minimum and far below the chapter's minimum.

-At a strong chapter at a smaller regional school where almost all students come from the same general area and everyone seems to have known everyone since high school. Hannah Ho wants to affiliate but her antics at the new college already reflect her legendary patterns of behavior from high school and her previous university.
Also have seen Linda Lost transfer from one private school to a couple of notches better/same size private school affiliate with the chapter and then stand around talking about how the other chapter and her previous school was better ALL the time. Classic was bringing a friend-who-was-a-girl (not a girlfriend cause that would have been ok, too) to formal because she did not have a date and had the two of them standing around and snarking about other ladies dresses and dates all night. So WHY did you transfer?
Old 05-03-2012, 01:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post

I highly doubt this would happen that terribly often. Women may transfer to Big State U and try to affiliate all the time, but the number of women who specifically go to Small State U to get into a chapter through a back door is more advertised than reality. In my experience in a state that had a Big State U with the supposed issue, all the same chapters at the Small State Univs were also hard to get in
Actually, this was very prevalent in the south in the not so distant past. They were actually called "feeder" schools as they "fed" additional members to Big State U. I can name "chapter andverse"on this but won't to protect the innocent. Almost anyone from the deep South can tell you it was common.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:12 PM
GreekChat Member

33girl,HQWest, aggiegphi, & WCSweet<3, you are all so on point here ^^^ I want to weep in support.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HQWest View Post
I can totally understand how when someone from [I]little[I] college transfers to [B]BIG[B] U - the girls at Big U want to maintain some control about who moves into the house with them.

Let's review. How about a top five reasons I have heard for transfer?
1. Money situation changes and need to move closer to home or need to save money.

I really REALLY feel bad for the folks in category number 1. Bad things happen to good people. Unfortunately, this could mean not being able to fully participate in Greek life at your new school (but in this case maybe early alum status might be a relief?)
I think that this is more apt to be Big Flagship U to Small State-Owned U, and that the dues go down along with the tuition. In that case, transfers are usually met with open arms - if they desire to be involved. More likely what happens is what AOIIAngel mentioned.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low C Sharp View Post
The IFC doesn't have such a strong ban on resigning and joining another chapter. Some IFC groups allow it in some circumstances. Are they less committed to lifetime membership than NPC? Or does the difference in policy just reflect a more practical mindset among fraternities as compared to sororities?
Actually the stance for the NIC (NOT IFC! I always cringe when people use that term in this context.) is pretty strict. We do allow somebody to resign membership, but that usually is not granted, at least not with the IHQs sending a formal letter to each other.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
Actually the stance for the NIC (NOT IFC! I always cringe when people use that term in this context.) is pretty strict. We do allow somebody to resign membership, but that usually is not granted, at least not with the IHQs sending a formal letter to each other.
I think we had this conversation when you first started posting on GC lol

I don't remember NIC rules stating that the I/HQs had to communicate with each other.