GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,723
1 members and 1,722 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 08-23-2004, 09:31 PM

Please be aware.............

PNM's................please do not go about emailing alumnae chapters of sororities asking for recommendations or finding out who the Advisory Board Chairman is and emailing her about recommendations(unless you know her or people--in particularly the president--of the alumnae groups PERSONALLY)!!!!!!!!
Old 08-24-2004, 06:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Don't forget to send a thank you to the member that wrote you the recommendation and took out time to help you.

AND -- please remember to let people know what your results were from recruitment. We want to know if you joined the greek community!
Old 10-19-2004, 02:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
Angry

THANK YOU! I was just thinking about this yesterday! If we cared to take the time out to write the rec, at least have the courtesy to let us know where you went. You don't have to post it on here but you can at least email the person who wrote you the rec!

If you didn't go with our group, let us know, we ain't mad at cha ...it's all good!

If you dropped out of recruitment, let us know!

Just common courtesy!

And to the chapters that got the recs, at least write a Thank you note acknowledging that you received our recs!

How hard is that?

ETA: out of the recs I wrote, 2 girls never got back to me...funny they were both from the same school that never acknowledged that they received their recs!

Quote:
Originally posted by suwhitestl
Don't forget to send a thank you to the member that wrote you the recommendation and took out time to help you.

AND -- please remember to let people know what your results were from recruitment. We want to know if you joined the greek community!
Old 10-22-2004, 10:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I am just wondering if the PNMs are asking for recs from people they don't know. I know with my chapter (small school, small chapter) we only pay attention to recs that are very personal. How can you write a rec for someone that you don't really know? That just seems weird to me. I wouldn't read it to my chapter.
Old 11-12-2004, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jill1228
ETA: out of the recs I wrote, 2 girls never got back to me...funny they were both from the same school that never acknowledged that they received their recs!
Out of the about, oh 8-10 I wrote, I had ONE girl tell me the results...and ONE sent a thank you email. It left quite a bitter taste in my mouth, so honestly, I don't know if I want to devote my spare time to write recs anymore.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to thetagammachica
excuse my ignorence, what is a rec... ( I am assuming recomendation).... but why would you need it as a PNM
Old 02-08-2005, 12:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thetagammachica
excuse my ignorence, what is a rec... ( I am assuming recomendation).... but why would you need it as a PNM

Here is a way of explaining recs and who writes them for PNMs and why:

What are Alumnae Panhellenics? Alumnae/Area/Hometown Panhellenics: These groups are community based organizations, affiliated with the National Panhellenic Conference, whose membership is composed of representative alumnae from NPC member group fraternities. These groups promote the philanthropic efforts of member organizations, promote the advantages of sorority membership, and host educational/informational sessions to promote Greek Life to women who are going to be attending a college or university. These educational/informational meetings are held at the discretion of the individual Alumnae Panhellenic, but usually take place in the spring of the year. The purpose of these meetings will inform a woman of the opportunities for Greek Life at various universities. A form will be distributed to complete and return to a designated person on that Alumna Panhellenic. This form will be made available to the sorority alumnae groups in that area by the Alumnae Panhellenic. The Alumnae Panhellenic does not guarantee that by completing the form, recommendations will be written on a woman's behalf or that a woman will be invited to particular parties during formal recruitment. This form only serves to alert the alumnae in that area that a woman has registered with the Alumnae Panhellenic and have indicated they will be participating in formal recruitment at a particular university. It is then up to an individual sorority alumnae organization to follow-up with a potential member if they need anymore information in addition to what is listed on the form.

More about Alumane Panhelenics
http://www.npcwomen.org/alumnae/a_overview.php

And here is an example from a large greek university - http://deanofstudents.utexas.edu/gle...pc_alumnae.php
Old 02-08-2005, 12:32 AM
GreekChat Member

The idea of recs may be a foreign concept without some context.

This website for the Fort Bend Co (Texas) Alumnae Panhellenic will give you a feel for what Recruitment is like at some southern and "quasi-southern" (for lack of a better term) universities.

http://www.fortbendpanhellenic.org/

Click on "Recruitment" at the top
Then scroll down to the "Table of Contents"
If you read through each of these in order, you will get a picture of the entirely unique culture of southern recruitment, recs, legacies, etc.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tcsparky
WOW!! I just spent an hour on the Fort Bend website looking at their recruitment workbook. I don't think they left anything out. It was fantastic. Everyone going through recruitment might want to take a look, even if you're not going to a big college, a "Southern" college, or a competitive recruitment. It was absolutely fabulous.

Old 08-04-2005, 10:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know why West Georgia does this but the rec. application basically only gives her name, grades, high school and activities.

It's hard to find someone to do a recommendation when you don't know where the pnm lives! At least if the parents name were given, you could narrow down possibilities.

Any other school do this?

ETA: Send an inquiry to the Greek Life Office who said to make recommendations (no pun lol) on changes we might need to help chapters know pnms better.

Last edited by AGDLynn; 08-05-2005 at 06:51 PM.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Please be aware.............

Quote:
Originally posted by ThetaPrincess24
PNM's................please do not go about emailing alumnae chapters of sororities asking for recommendations or finding out who the Advisory Board Chairman is and emailing her about recommendations(unless you know her or people--in particularly the president--of the alumnae groups PERSONALLY)!!!!!!!!
I guess at my school we aren't sent an incredible amount of recs (I think there were maybe six last year), so I don't really know all about it, but I thought that was the kind of thing people were supposed to do if they didn't know any alumnae themselves.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Please be aware.............

Quote:
Originally posted by ThetaPrincess24
I wonder if this is a regional issue? Most times, if PNMs do not know any alumnae personally, they are encouraged to contact a Panhellenic Alumnae group to respectfully request assistance with securing informational recs. Many alum associations and alum panhellenics expect this and willingly help those PNMs who have no family or contacts that are Greek and able to help them.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Please be aware.............

Quote:
Originally posted by adpiucf
I wonder if this is a regional issue? Most times, if PNMs do not know any alumnae personally, they are encouraged to contact a Panhellenic Alumnae group to respectfully request assistance with securing informational recs. Many alum associations and alum panhellenics expect this and willingly help those PNMs who have no family or contacts that are Greek and able to help them.
I think she meant it more as don't expect to email her your info and her to come back with rec's from all the sororities you would like without you putting in the work. I think it's fine to contact her to get some contact info, but expect that YOU will be doing the work, not her.
Old 05-29-2006, 12:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
bumping this up:

Oh yeah, don't wait till 2 weeks until recruitment and start begging for recs...

failure to prepare on your part does NOT constitute an emergency on mine
Old 05-29-2006, 02:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jill1228
bumping this up:

Oh yeah, don't wait till 2 weeks until recruitment and start begging for recs...

failure to prepare on your part does NOT constitute an emergency on mine
This should go to the ALUMNAE too. Last year I got a call from one of the members of our alumnae chapter (older woman) the DAY BEFORE recruitment was starting at HER chapter (the UW) asking me how she could go about getting the rec to the chapter. She's been involved with the collegiate chapter longer than me and knows the recruitment advisor (who's phone number conveniently isn't in our newsletter) and yet she needed my help.........lordy