GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Fundraising

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,401
1 members and 1,400 guests
sdneyttso2029

Old 07-01-2000, 12:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Post Walmart Matching grant? and Male auctions?

Hi everyone, I have two questions. First of all does anyone know how the Walmart Matching grant works and secondly, we are planning a male auction and wanted to know what advice ( mainly how to make sure everything is done right legally) I fanyone can help please let me know, also I read some post a while ago about a "date-a theta" fundraiser if anyone knows anything about that let me know also. Please help
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-11-2000, 05:39 PM
GreekChat Member

oo, great question, we are auctioning off our girls in the fall. Can't wait for some advice.
Old 07-12-2000, 12:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
A couple of our Greek organizations have auctions here every year. A new wrinkle occurred last year when a new Director of Student Development came on board. It seems that legally you can't really auction a person. The loophole, he pointed out, was that you can auction services.

For example, you can't sell one of your sisters to a guy but she could come with a card promising to wash his car etc.

Ofcourse it depends on how anal people want to be. Most people probably wouldn't notice or know the difference.

James
Old 07-12-2000, 04:01 AM
GreekChat Member

thanks, for the reply. I didn't think of that.

Also, i wanted to know things like how well does the auction usually go and what kind of advertising is usually done.(since this is the first time, we don't want to actually go in debt knowing that it is a new idea on our campus)

also do you use contracts for both parties to sign

just basically all you can think of, please let me know, I don't want any loop holes
Old 07-12-2000, 07:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to ZetaAce Send a message via AIM to ZetaAce
WalMart matching grant- Go to your local WalMart and speak with the manager. Basically, all of the funds you raise have to go to the charity that you specify. It can't just be a general 'fundraiser'.

We had an auction when I was undergrad, (male and female) what we did is make fliers and put them up in the centers around campus (and of course, good old word of mouth). We then had the people who wanted to be in it come to a meeting and explain what it was for, write their vitals (name, age, what they like to do,) etc. on a card. We said they had to do a 2 hour 'date' with the person who bidded the highest. (You can't actually force the people to actually go on the date.)We had a 3.00 minimum bid. Here are some tips-

1)Make sure you have a person with some charisma to be the MC of the auction, that will keep the bidding flowing nicely.

2)Make sure you have a couple of random people in the audience to bid just in case someone doesn't get bidded on. The first year it was done a woman who didn't get bidded on at all burst in to tears when she got off of the stage. From then on out we had frat/sorors bid on a person who wasn't getting any response (of course we didn't make them pay.)

3)If you take checks, make sure you call the bank that holds the account and ensure that the check will go through.

4)If you have any student athletes in it, make sure they get cleared by their coach to be in it. (You don't want them to get any NCAA violations. It was ok on my campus, so it's probably ok on yours too, but better safe than sorry!)

We had both parties sign contracts when the money was paid. Anyway, it was a big success and each time we raised at least $1500 dollars. Women are more likely to bid and pay more than men. We had some guys go for over $200 (which is a lot for a regular student to pay). It was also a lot of fun. (I've got some stories!!) Hope this helps!

ZetaAce

[This message has been edited by ZetaAce (edited July 12, 2000).]
Old 08-31-2000, 03:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

Every spring during greek week IFC and Panhell join forces and auction off greeks to anyone who comes to the auction. Like someone else stated, you can't technically auction off a person but you can auction off house cleaning, car cleaning, (etc..) services. Bidding usually starts at a $1 (for the cheapskates and the less attractive auctionees)and have gone all the way up to $55! Last year we raised close to $500(and this is a small school I go to)! The proceeds are split between IFC and Panhell and services aren't carried out until cash is paid!
Old 09-02-2000, 12:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to Eli
Thumbs down

Ol' small town crusher Walmart says:

They wont match donations to our organization.

and

We cant do car washers there, as their insurance will not allow such a venue.

One more reason Walmart and the such are about trashing the quality of America. Hmmm. This is turning into more of a flame, (sorry, ). Anyway, its not like I ever shop there.

Easy E

[This message has been edited by Eli (edited September 02, 2000).]