GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,352
0 members and 1,352 guests
No Members online

Old 03-31-2010, 10:43 AM
GreekChat Member

UCF Transfer Student Rush advice

I am a freshman at UF this year and I am transferring to UCF for the fall semester. I am transferring because my father died very suddenly and unexpectedly at the beginning of this semester and I moving to be closer to my home in Orlando. I did not rush this fall because I really did not know much about greek life but before all this happened I was planning to rush at UF this upcoming fall because I really saw that greek life was a great way to be involved and meet people.

I do not want this tragedy to define my life. I feel that being an active member of the UCF community through greek life would be a very positive thing to do. I am just worried that I might be discouraged against as being a sophomore and a transfer student. I also was wondering if any one had any advice on how to approach the topic of why I am transferring. Would it be too negative to say that I am transferring because my father died or should I avoid the topic? Any advice?

Thanks so much.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-31-2010, 12:15 PM
GreekChat Member

First of all, please accept my sympathy for your loss.
I believe there are a number GCers who are familiar with UCF recruitment, including someone had a very successful rush as a sophomore last fall.
If asked, you probably would need only to say you transfered to be closer to home. You could do a search for those UCF recruitment threads for more advice. Please keep us posted on your journey.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:26 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't think too many people will ask you why you transferred. (Even if they do, it will just be a way for them to make conversation and find out what you like about UCF). If you want to avoid giving details, just tell them you wanted to be closer to your family, then start talking about Homecoming, Spirit Splash or any of the other fun things you're excited to be a part of.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:34 AM
GreekChat Member

I too am very sorry for your loss. I feel as though my story may be the ZTA72 is speaking of? But I went through as a sophomore and am VERY happy with my recruitment. I did have a few cuts but still accepted a bid to one of my favorite chapters through out the week. I was pretty prepared though. Try to get recommendations from friends and relatives (if no one is Greek that you find look into Orlando's Alum. Association. If you contact them they will speak with you and send a letter to every chapter on your behalf) and watch your GPA. More than anything though, know what is great about you and show that during recruitment. Being true to yourself is the best way to know you are ending up where you belong. Good luck and if you have any questions please PM me
Old 04-05-2010, 12:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCFlove View Post
I feel as though my story may be the ZTA72 is speaking of?
Yes, it was you! Glad you are still around GC. Your story still makes me smile.