GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,136
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PoodleDeNovo24
» Online Users: 853
3 members and 850 guests
flamboyanttree, MethrenLusia

Old 07-29-2009, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Red face I'm scared!

So I'm going to be a sophomore at the University of Miami, and I'm hoping to do informal fall recruitment. It's something I've really wanted to do for a while now, but I don't know if I have a chance in hell. I'm not the traditional, skinny and pretty girl. I'm a size 16, but I'm not uncomfotable with myself, and I hardly think of myself as "fat" or "ugly". In fact, I'm quite happy the way I am. But I'm worried that going through recruitment is just going to leave me bid-less and feeling like crap about myself, and I'm going to get dropped right away for not being the typical sorority girl. There are seven sororities at UM, and I'm starting to wonder if I have any kind of chance getting into any of them. Has anyone felt like this before recruitment? What would be the best way to approach recruitment to actually have a chance? Any advice is much appreciated! Thanks!

(And by the way, telling me to lose 100 pounds in a month isn't advice. It's just rude.)
Old 07-29-2009, 02:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Don't be scared, ellebelle314. Be realistic. Yes, there may be chapters who will cut you for not being a size 0, but why would you want to join a chapter that doesn't want to get past your size. Go into recruitment with confidence, dressed to accentuate your body type with a big smile on your face. Make sure that you wow them with your personality and you will give yourself the best chance of finding a place in a sorority. Not all sorority members are size 0-10. If you go in feeling self-conscious, the members will notice and it won't help them see beyond your size. Sorority women care about more than size, but appearance is the first thing we see, obviously so make sure you look your best. Good luck. Don't freak out about it! You can't loose 100 pounds in a month, and if you could, you'd be hurting yourself to do it!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 07-29-2009, 03:02 PM
GreekChat Member

You should read this thread:
http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=105842
and a lot of other ones, too.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellebelle314 View Post
So I'm going to be a sophomore at the University of Miami, and I'm hoping to do informal fall recruitment. It's something I've really wanted to do for a while now, but I don't know if I have a chance in hell. I'm not the traditional, skinny and pretty girl. I'm a size 16, but I'm not uncomfotable with myself, and I hardly think of myself as "fat" or "ugly". In fact, I'm quite happy the way I am. But I'm worried that going through recruitment is just going to leave me bid-less and feeling like crap about myself, and I'm going to get dropped right away for not being the typical sorority girl. There are seven sororities at UM, and I'm starting to wonder if I have any kind of chance getting into any of them. Has anyone felt like this before recruitment? What would be the best way to approach recruitment to actually have a chance? Any advice is much appreciated! Thanks!

(And by the way, telling me to lose 100 pounds in a month isn't advice. It's just rude.)
We can't really say what you're chances are, as we are not actually IN the sororities at your school and we don't know you personally.

However, the above mentioned thread is a good one to read.

Also, please note that every girl in a sorority is not a size 0, or super cute, or whatever.

I'm not going to kid you and say that appearance doesn't come into play on some level, because it does. It's a factor in everything from job interviews to promotions. Are there going to be chapters who judge you based on your size? Maybe. But what can you really do about it? Not a whole lot.

Confidence is really important. If you come into recruitment acting like you're not confident in who you are (and are expecting to be cut), the sororities can tell.

Conversation and personality are also big things. A girl who looks like a model but is practically mute during recruitment isn't necessarily going to get a bid just because she's cute.

It's also important that you look put together and are dressed well according to your body type. Does this mean you need a new wardrobe? Nope. But you need to put together outfits that flatter you.

Good luck to you!

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 07-29-2009 at 06:37 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
The sororities you want to join are the ones who like that you are comfortable with who you are. They'll be comfortable with you too. Any others aren't worth your time, and remember, it's MUTUAL selection. Don't waste your cares on a superficial chapter (even assuming there is one) -- you wouldn't want to call them "sister" anyway.

In short, any rush advice that starts with anything other than "be yourself" is doing you a disservice.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

wear clothes that are cute , make you feel good about yourself and flatter your figure. wasn't it this past season on america's next top model that a plus sized model won? she wore clothes that were appropriate to her size, yet they were still cute and trendy.

show off your personality by being friendly and interested in what the members are saying-don't go overboard by being overly peppy or animated, that will just come off as you being fake. as others have said, be yourself.

do you have recommendations?

Last edited by FSUZeta; 07-29-2009 at 07:31 PM.