GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 2,135
0 members and 2,135 guests
No Members online

Old 10-13-2006, 09:33 AM
GreekChat Member

I Don't Text Message

I must be the only person on the planet who thinks texting is stupid. Yet lately the guys I go out with prefer to send me texts than to call. I, personally, think that is stupid. If you want to talk to me, call me. It's pretty direct and straightforward. If you want to share an interesting story, email or call. It's pretty simple. I make it clear with these people that I'm not into texting. I spend all day in front of a computer and when I get home/go out, I don't want to stare at my phone trying to decipher stupid messages like "U R Gr8!"

Phones=talking. Email=text messages.

Discuss. I am beginning to have visions of myself yelling at kids to get off my lawn. And I don't have a lawn. Am I just old before my time or are there other people who are anti-texting? The only time I find it useful is if I'm meeting someone in a loud place and I can't hear my phone.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:40 AM
GreekChat Member

I text, but i spell everything out. It's nice for when I'm at work. And I know my friend always has a phone by her, but might not be at her computer for hours.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:49 AM

I spell everything out too - my best friend informed me that if she ever got a text from me saying "lts go 2 the bar" she would never speak to me again.

One of my good friends doesn't have a home puter, so if I emailed her, I would have to wait for her to get to the Starbucks or wherever they have access to check her messages. We text all the time.

Plus it can be really funny to look back at them the next day.

But as far as guys you date - they should be calling. I would never go out with a guy who asked me out via text.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:53 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm ashamed to say I've gotten on the text bandwagon. I didn't start texting until about a year ago. My friends and acquaintances would often use it to save daytime minutes (but they would sometimes text me so much that I'd go over my allotted messages).

I used to HATE texting. It was a waste and I hated the fact that this particular guy would text me all the time instead of calling me and saying "how are you...what are you up to?" I used to ignore his texts and he'd be mad that he wouldn't hear from me until he picked up the phone and called. 33girl is right, men who are interested in you shouldn't text you like that UNLESS it's understood that they are in meetings all day and have something to tell you--like finalizing plans for the evening. For that instance, texting is just like a guy using his Blackberry to send me an email to finalize a lunch date if he's about to get out of a meeting and doesn't want to wait until the last minute to call me.

Now I find myself texting people and saying "just saying hi" or "what's up for the weekend?" These are people who I know are either at work or in a meeting, or I don't want to have a conversation but instead want them to know I'm thinking about them and/or have a question to ask. Many of the people I know are actually more accessible via text than by calling their cell.

Last edited by DSTCHAOS; 10-13-2006 at 09:58 AM.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:07 AM
GreekChat Member

I think I've sent one text message in the last year - and that was because my phone wouldn't get phone service, but it could send text messages (yeah, not really sure how that works) and I needed my dad to come over and fix something at my house.

My husband sent me a few texts while we were dating...just "thinking of you" type stuff, especially when we were living in different states, but not anymore.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:18 AM
GreekChat Member

I love text messaging, but I refuse to use chatspeak to do it! The people who drive me nuts about texts are the ones who want to have an entire conversation via text message to "save their minutes." Don't waste 20 of my text messages when we could just burn up 2 minutes on the phone instead.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:23 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm annoyed by people who want to text but are soooo slow. Use the friggin T9 function. (The one that lets you spell out the word quickly instead of hitting each button repeatedly)
Old 10-13-2006, 10:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
I'm annoyed by people who want to text but are soooo slow. Use the friggin T9 function. (The one that lets you spell out the word quickly instead of hitting each button repeatedly)
My boyfriend uses the T9 feature & I often end up with text messages that mean something completely different than what he intended. Even if its not the word he wanted, he will not go back & change it!
Old 10-13-2006, 10:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AznSAE
i dont text message so i had them disable it. just pick up the phone and call me.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:54 AM
GreekChat Member

For the longest time, I was getting umm...inappropriate texts on my Nextel at work. They came every day at the same time, so I'm thinking one of the plumbers thought he was being funny and signed the phone up for some joke service. There was no return # on it to block, so I had to have everything - voice mail, text messages, IP address, etc stripped from the phone to get it to stop. It is now a phone/radio and that is it.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznSAE View Post
i dont text message so i had them disable it. just pick up the phone and call me.
My thoughts exactly. My personal favorite is "what r u doing l8r?"
Old 10-13-2006, 11:10 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't understand why it is popular now. It has been around since I was in my last college at least -1999. I did it then, and only when I got a new Nokia small phone, which was popular then. About three weeks of it and I was bored.

Messages are always misconstrued as to tone. I would rather just speak to a person.....
Old 10-13-2006, 11:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Lisa_ View Post
My boyfriend uses the T9 feature & I often end up with text messages that mean something completely different than what he intended. Even if its not the word he wanted, he will not go back & change it!
Now that is laziness, when I type a word and it's not the right one, even before I move to the next I can scroll down and find the right word (or spell it if it's really weird or a proper noun) It's not that hard people
Old 10-13-2006, 11:17 AM
GreekChat Member

I remember being at Verizon recently, and a mom was trying to get a bigger text message plan for her daughter because she kept going over every month....she was using over TWO THOUSAND, FIVE HUNDRED text messages a month. The employee informed her that 2500 was the biggest plan that they have and you can't add any more.

2500...what else would you have time to do???
Old 10-13-2006, 11:19 AM
GreekChat Member

no idea, but Cingular has "Unlimited" Texts. She should switch providers

Of course, I have Sudoku on my phone now so I don't have time for anything either.