GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,145
3 members and 2,142 guests
No Members online

Old 07-08-2007, 03:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Grad Student Rush

I looked through the threads that had graduate student rush information as our office just had someone inquiring about the possibility.

The school I work as an assistant does have 2 chapters that definitely allow graduate membership - Phi Sigma Sigma and Alpha Xi Delta. Are there other Panhellenic chapters that do also that I am not aware of?

Our school has deferred recruitment and fall recruitment usually consists of upper classmen and transfers. I guess it would be pretty pointless for this person to go to the events hosted by chapters that don't initiate graduate students?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-08-2007, 04:32 PM

I think those are the only two NPC sororities that allow grad students to rush and become active sisters. If that's the experience the grad student wants, she should focus her attention on those two chapters.
Old 07-08-2007, 05:32 PM

You are correct. Those are the only 2.

Lakers Nation.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Even if it is deferred, it is still formal recruitment. Are grad students allowed to go through formal recruitment?

If any student is going through formal recruitment, it would only make sense that she is obligated to attend events at all of the sororities on the first day. Anyone not eligible for membership will be released after the first round: grade risks, grad students, standards issues...

If the grad students are only going to attend informal recruitment in the fall, it would makse sense to inform them that they are not eligible to receive bids at the other sororities, and to give a heads-up to the chapters that they may have graduate student rushing and should check their sorority bylaws before they offer bids of membership to any students.

But...While Alpha Xi and Phi Sig may take grad students, this doesn't guarantee that they will. Make sure any grad students rushing are aware of this, too!!!

Last edited by adpiucf; 07-25-2007 at 01:31 PM.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
at my school we are encouraging grad. students to rush and have surveyed the chapters. 4 of them are allowed to accept them under varying circumstances and since numbers seem like they may be lower than usual this year, we're reaching out to them and many of them have been inquiring the possibility so..yay!
Old 07-28-2007, 12:20 PM
GreekChat Member

I know this is a little off topic, but aren't there chapters who let actives stay actives during graduate school? Not sure if I worded right, but if a woman joined while an undergrad and stays at college to get a graduate degree and wanted to remain an active sister are there any chapters who let them?
Old 07-28-2007, 12:28 PM

Yes, I think some do. I'm sure it's up to the member though since grad school is more intense than undergrad.

For that matter - there are women who do internships who might not take professional status or whatever your group calls it. Having an internship in the student affairs office is a lot different than an internship 30 miles away at an accounting firm. The girl who's doing the former might have no problem with all the requirements of maintaining regular active status.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Delta Gamma allows chapters to pledge graduate students. It's in our constitution.
But I wouldn't be surprised if someone at the school panhellenic office discouraged it, or even had the wrong info.

Old 07-29-2007, 03:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocalagirl View Post
I know this is a little off topic, but aren't there chapters who let actives stay actives during graduate school? Not sure if I worded right, but if a woman joined while an undergrad and stays at college to get a graduate degree and wanted to remain an active sister are there any chapters who let them?
Our chapter allowed members to petition for "5th year" status if they were going to take longer than 4 years to graduate. We had one lady who graduated, but petitioned for 5th year status so she could remain active and live in the house during part of her graduate program.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:48 AM
GreekChat Member

So if one were interested in rushing an organization as a graduate student, then one should attempt to attend the COB (or COR's) of this one organization, rather than going through the entire formal recruitment process?
Old 10-14-2008, 02:58 PM

I don't see where anyone said that in here. One could potentially get a bid either way. Neither method gives a grad student PNM any greater chance to receive a bid.

I also feel it's important to note that just because an organization allows grad students to join collegiate chapters, does not mean they will extend a bid to any grad stdent who is interested.

Lakers Nation.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:49 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by disasterscookie View Post
So if one were interested in rushing an organization as a graduate student, then one should attempt to attend the COB (or COR's) of this one organization, rather than going through the entire formal recruitment process?
NO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
I don't see where anyone said that in here. One could potentially get a bid either way. Neither method gives a grad student PNM any greater chance to receive a bid.

I also feel it's important to note that just because an organization allows grad students to join collegiate chapters, does not mean they will extend a bid to any grad stdent who is interested.
YES.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Wouldn't Delta Phi Epsilon accept grad students as active members? They were founded at a graduate school.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:38 AM
GreekChat Member

While we are clarifying things, ASA allows chapters to bid graduate students if it is allowed by the local panhellenic. In fact, I was part of a chapter that did extend a bid and then initiated a grad student. I should clarify that both her program and commitments were the same as the undergrads.

Last edited by RaggedyAnn; 10-15-2008 at 06:43 AM.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:15 AM

Quote:
I also feel it's important to note that just because an organization allows grad students to join collegiate chapters, does not mean they will extend a bid to any grad student who is interested.
Quote:
I also feel it's important to note that just because an organization allows grad students to join collegiate chapters, does not mean they will extend a bid to any grad student who is interested.
Quote:
We can't say this enough, seriously.