GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,579
1 members and 2,578 guests
FlorCundif

Old 07-15-2007, 10:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
My main issue is one of allergies. I personally have a very strong sense of smell, and often too much perfume causes me to have sneezing fits. I know I am not the only one with this issue. I also think offering perfume is a bit odd, not every perfume smells good on or to everyone. I know there are some that smell like fritos and stanky fratbasement on me, but on someone else it would smell awesome. I think patchouli smells like moldy bread, and I don't think a PNM would want to be known as the girl who smells like mold.

I just don't think recruitment is a good place for a lot of scents, especially if it is August, 98 degrees, 99% humidity, there are 100 people in a room and no AC.
I wasn't disagreeing with you my any means and I hope it didn't come out like that. I use to work at a makeup counter at the end of the day my allergies were flaired and I smelled like a french whore. I am just sayin' this is what happened to me last year.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:47 PM

I would literally feel naked and very insecure if I weren't wearing some sort of fragrance, especially in a situation as high pressure as rush. That being said, you shouldn't be wearing the same scent in the middle of the day in August that you would to a party on a December night - rush or not.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink

I too wish I had known all of this well, more than 20 years ago. Here is an additional suggestion of what not to ask. How do you compare yourself to XYZ sorority? It sets the PNM up in a potentially negative light and could be reworded as , How does your sorority do in comparison on campus/panhellenically regarding grades ( or whatever topic)?Be more specific with the question about that house vs another. When a PNM asks better questions they will normally get better answers and it will show an organization you are interested in them.

Heres a few more
How do you select your members? What is your selection process? My friend said that because I had mutiple recommendations, that means I get in, right?, Since my grandma, and mom and sister are all XYZ you have to take me, dont you?

GPhiB
Old 07-27-2007, 12:13 PM
GreekChat Member

this might be a stupid question but, when we are rushing and are at the chapter houses, should we eat if they have food out?
Old 07-27-2007, 12:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Accept the food and drink if offered to you. You don't have to actually eat/drink it if you don't want to.

Something to keep in mind: some houses won't offer water, only soda. Soda can leave a bad taste in your mouth, especially when it is hot outside. So stash a bag of breathmints with your belongings (your recruitment counselor will keep an eye on your things when you are in a recruitment event).
Old 07-27-2007, 08:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shommy View Post
this might be a stupid question but, when we are rushing and are at the chapter houses, should we eat if they have food out?

Be who you are, if you're hungry eat (okay don't eat everything they put out.) I do agree about the sodas, they may make you more thirsty or the sweet along with the heat can cause a headache. If you've had cookies and punch at three houses in a row, be polite say no thank you.

Frankly, use the food as an opening to ask a house what types of food or meals do they have on meeting night? (if you're at a school which has meetings and dinners together)

I do have to tell you at one school we served chocolate fondue on the second day of recruitment(then called rush) and there were many girls (PNMs)that hoarded the food. It wasn't pretty.

GPhiB
Old 07-27-2007, 09:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf View Post
Accept the food and drink if offered to you. You don't have to actually eat/drink it if you don't want to.

Something to keep in mind: some houses won't offer water, only soda. Soda can leave a bad taste in your mouth, especially when it is hot outside. So stash a bag of breathmints with your belongings (your recruitment counselor will keep an eye on your things when you are in a recruitment event).
I don't know if its in this thread earlier or in another, but the advice was not to chew gum between rounds because a) you might forget to take it out and b) after you do take it out, your breath can actually smell bad or it leaves another weird taste in your mouth. I thought this was pretty good advice.

I know its hard to remember everything when you are nervous and trying to make conversation with girls, but it truly is good advice.
Old 07-28-2007, 02:52 PM
GreekChat Member

You'll probably hear the "take a water or your rusher can't get a water rule" but don't panic about it. We can and do get water between parties -but sometimes its nice since we're talking so much. If you want to cover all the bases just take a drink and take like, one sip. No one will be offended you didn't finish your water;
Old 08-03-2007, 02:32 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm a member of a national Latina sorority, and here are some things that I would recommend that aspirants NOT do at informationals or other recruitment activities:

1. Don't talk about the men in the campus Latino fraternity--don't talk about how you always hang with them, how hot they are, how much you hate them, etc. Refrain from asking if that fraternity is the "brother" organization to the sorority you are interested in. For one thing, you could find out that information ahead of time, and second, why does it even matter?

2. Don't talk about how much you love the sorority's jackets, t-shirts, etc. It makes it look like you are interested just so you can wear letters.

3. Likewise, don't ask about the parties, unless you are asking a question about maintaining balance between academic, service, and social activities.

4. Don't lie. Ever. You will be found out. Further, don't assume that the NPC and NALFO orgs. don't talk to each other. If you first go through NPC rush, do something shady, then try to join a Latina or other non-NPC sorority, it will come out (or vice-versa). When I was chapter president, I had many conversations with the NPC presidents on particular women, and we usually caught them in some sort of lie.

5. Never put down the other Latina sororities (or any sororities) on campus. It is not going to win points at all.

6. If you are invited to participate in the prospective membership process, DO NOT go to the local greek shop and pre-order sorority gear, no matter how "close" you feel that you are to becoming a member. You WILL get caught!

7. Finally, if you don't get invited to pursue membership, or if you do but you drop out, don't be tacky and start an entirely new sorority just so you can call yourself a "founder." At least show some discretion and lay low for awhile if you're going to try to pursue another sorority...but do know that the next sorority WILL ask the first sorority about you...

Things to DO:

1. Do study...HARD! Keep up your time management skills!

2. Definitely talk about your past community service and leadership experiences, as well as other interests at information sessions. We want to get to know you as much as you want to get to know us!

3. If the chapter puts on campus-wide events or activities, you should participate.

4. Think very hard about whether this is the right time for you to take on the responsibility of being in a sorority. Are your grades where you want them to be? Are you actively working towards graduate school, an internship, etc.? Do you have time to go to meetings, hold a leadership role (because most LGLO chapters are small, and EVERY PERSON has to hold an office, sometimes two), participate in service activities, hold down a job (or two), etc.? Will your family understand that you are making a commitment to the organization that will likely take you away from time with them? (This is a HUGE issue in LGLOs).

5. Relax, and be yourself.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:29 AM
GreekChat Member

HI, Im new and this all has helped me alot. I a "sister" of a member of Zeta Phi Beta and she told me a couple of things to do and not to do.

1. If you want to be a member, the whole campus does not need to know. Tell a member of the org. and leave it alone.
2. DO NOT join a sweetheart group and expect to join the sorority.(Sweetheart group is like a fan club of the Frats)
3. Do your reasearch. Be able to tell the org. about themsleves, and be able to tell them why you want to join.

Thats all I know that seems relevant.

O yea, also, Im not sure if this applies to other people, but I was told just because you know a member doesnt mean the process will be any easier for you.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mochababy_989 View Post
HI, Im new and this all has helped me alot. I a "sister" of a member of Zeta Phi Beta and she told me a couple of things to do and not to do.

1. If you want to be a member, the whole campus does not need to know. Tell a member of the org. and leave it alone.
2. DO NOT join a sweetheart group and expect to join the sorority.(Sweetheart group is like a fan club of the Frats)
3. Do your reasearch. Be able to tell the org. about themsleves, and be able to tell them why you want to join.

Thats all I know that seems relevant.

O yea, also, Im not sure if this applies to other people, but I was told just because you know a member doesnt mean the process will be any easier for you.
Greekchat is ONLY a place to discuss relevant events in Greek Lettered Organizations.

Memberships in the NPHC remain undiscussed.

What you need to know can be done by "Private Messaging" or PMing someone with the organization of your interest.

And information and rules about the Threads are posted prominently.

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Old 08-18-2007, 11:25 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but is there certain clothing choices that we should wear when visiting houses?

this is helping me so so much! Thanks!
Old 08-18-2007, 12:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.spectacular View Post
I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but is there certain clothing choices that we should wear when visiting houses?

this is helping me so so much! Thanks!
Browse around the forums, there's no way anyone on here can give you an answer to that vague of a question without knowing your school/region of the country/Greek system, etc. There are plenty of threads on the Recruitment forums that have covered what PNMs from all kinds of different schools should wear for recruitment.

To let my lyre send forth the chords of love, unselfishness and sincerity
Old 09-20-2007, 03:10 PM
GreekChat Member

I would say...Dont get so nervous that you decide to chain smoke moments before entering a house...not like you should be smoking anyways. I'm betting that factored into my last cuts. ewww.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:09 AM
GreekChat Member

when i was a PNM once, i had an active tell me how she vomitted in her mouth while watching tv the night before.

keep your mouth shut[pun intended] especially when tlaking to roommates/friends during FR!!! you don't want things to be misconstrude and you end up getting dropped from a house you like--i know too many girls that's happend to!