GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,360
1 members and 1,359 guests
John

Old 04-19-2014, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator

Some of the prominent women of the early homeschooling movement were all about home businesses, home church, etc., and they were always yammering about how women should stay home. Yet most of them, one in particular, were so immersed in their businesses that there's no way that they got to spend the vaunted "one on one time" with their kids.

I can not stand hypocrites.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-19-2014, 10:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
I can not stand hypocrites.
I agree.

Although this is always presented as anti-feminism, this was also a big socioeconomic and race (and other demographics) divide in the feminist movements and the foundation for other feminist movements such as Black feminism. The argument over whether women should go to college and work was not a battle that working class and poor white and racial and ethnic minority women were fighting.

Then you had people fighting over whether womanhood should be defined as motherhood and wifehood. In 2014 people still have difficulty balancing freedom to marry and/or reproduce with social force and obligation to marry and/or reproduce.

I should've made this a poll so GCers could vote on whether they believe this ideology. I swear there are still a lot of people in the USA and around the world who believe this.

ETA: I added this to the OP: http://m.christianpost.com/news/fact...rness--117959/

The best comment in the comment section:
"Phyllis is, as usual, confused. It's equal pay for equal work. If women choose to work fewer hours, then less pay is warranted. But Phyllis is blinded by her conservatism."

Last edited by DrPhil; 04-19-2014 at 11:24 AM.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:27 AM
GreekChat Member

You can count my vote. I'm against her.
But on the same subject, my boyfriend Neil DeGrasse Tyson spoke on just this issue recently (or recently seen by me anyway).
http://www.upworthy.com/neil-degrass...m-follow?c=gt1
Old 04-19-2014, 11:31 AM
GreekChat Member

My perception of Phyllis is that she has largely focused on a very narrow demographic -- middle to upper-middle class white women whom she would perceive as having a choice about pursuing a career or staying home. People like her. Reading this piece, she still seems oblivious to the fact there are women who must work, who don't want to be/aren't/can't be dependent on a man, who go to college for a purpose of pursuing more than a MRS degree, or that there is whole world of women who are different from her. She is just plain out of touch with reality.

She is anti-matter to my matter.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:43 PM
Banned

Bumped for StealthMode
Old 04-21-2014, 05:28 PM
GreekChat Member

With the luxury of choice, I do think it's better for A parent to stay home. But for most Americans that is such a luxury that it just seems mean to accuse a woman of being a bad parent if she doesn't do what she can't. Like telling a person they can't be attractive if they aren't tall. Well thanks for that but there's no way I'm ever going to be tall or independently wealthy.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
The problem is, when one parent stays home, the spouse with an income has more power in the relationship. It would be nice if that weren't the case, but someone who gives up his or her career, no matter how much they want to do so, is valued less by society. In these United States, having no money puts you at the mercy of others.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
In these United States, having no money puts you at the mercy of others.
^^^ As my divorce clients, both men and women, know only too well.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Bumped for StealthMode
*side eye*

All of my love, my peace, and happiness...I'm gonna give it to DELTA.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:22 PM
GreekChat Member

This 12 year old girl has an amazing response to Phyllis. She is one young lady who we will see become a mover and shaker when she gets older.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/0...d?detail=email

DaffyKD
Old 06-02-2014, 02:25 PM
Banned

Kristie Allsopp drinks the Kool-Aid:

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-ra...ity-baby-by-27
Old 08-06-2014, 11:06 AM
Banned

Bump because Susan Patton reminded me of this thread. Patton isn't saying the same thing but there is a gender correlation.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:44 AM
GreekChat Member

I've made more than both my husbands, because I have more degrees and certifications. Husband #1, in fact, got a bigger share of the house proceeds when we divorced because I made more. (He had a college degree, but chose not to use it.) I didn't like it, but I guess it was fair because when women make less, they get more in the divorce settlement. (I was lucky he was due to inherit some money from his parents, otherwise I would have had to pay his lazy ass alimony.)

Even if I had chosen to have children, I would have worked. My parents raised me not to rely on anyone but myself for support and I'd be uncomfortable letting someone else pay my way since I would feel like I was at their mercy as DeltaBetaBaby said. That's just me, though.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOIILisa View Post
Even if I had chosen to have children, I would have worked. My parents raised me not to rely on anyone but myself for support and I'd be uncomfortable letting someone else pay my way since I would feel like I was at their mercy as DeltaBetaBaby said. That's just me, though.
Here, here!!

I read a comment months ago from an idiot who believes birth control was the downfall of humanity; women's rights and gender equality are against God's Will and humans shall suffer. Have we not learned from Adam and Eve (which many people take literally and not anecdotally)?