GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,467
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Bioxtrim
» Online Users: 1,435
0 members and 1,435 guests
No Members online

Old 08-21-2002, 01:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Top Party Schools Named (One basis being popularity of fraternities and sororities)

By SHANNON DININNY
.c The Associated Press

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. (Aug. 19) - Indiana University was crowned the nation's No. 1 "party school'' Monday in an annual Princeton Review survey that school leaders and medical experts derided as irresponsible and unscientific.

Following IU in the rankings were Clemson University, the University of Alabama-Tuscaloosa, Pennsylvania State University and the University of Florida.

IU officials questioned the No. 1 ranking. The school, which didn't appear on the list last year, has toughened its stance on student drinking since the 1998 alcohol-related death of a student.

In the past year, five IU fraternities have been suspended or expelled for violations of alcohol policies, said Bill Stephan, the university's vice president for public affairs.

"I think there are some serious questions about the methodology of the study and it really calls into question the credibility of the ranking,'' Stephan said.

IU freshman Anya Simonova said her school may be perceived as a party school, but noted that "it's getting quieter because they're cracking down more.'' Junior Erin Pritchard agreed.

"I'd be surprised to hear we're number one,'' she said. "Even though most people party three or four times a week, this past year they've been a lot more strict.''

The survey, conducted since 1992, ranks schools in 63 categories based on in-person or computer interviews with 100,000 students. The party school designation is based on student reports on alcohol and marijuana use, the amount of time spent studying outside of class and the popularity of fraternities and sororities on campus.

Princeton Review, a test-preparation and college admissions company with no connection to Princeton University, defended its survey.

"We simply are reporting on the conditions that exist on those particular campuses, and if social life continues to be an aspect that students comment on, then I will continue to include that list in the book,'' said Robert Franek, the company's editorial director.

Franek noted that the survey also lists the top-20 "Stone-Cold Sober Schools,'' where students say there is little drinking. Brigham Young University topped that list for the third straight year.

The American Medical Association has repeatedly criticized the "party school'' rankings, saying they irresponsibly legitimize high-risk drinking and portray alcohol as central to college life.

On Monday, Richard Yoast of the AMA's Office of Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse called the survey "a marketing gimmick'' and said it does a disservice to quality universities.

Following Florida, the rest of the top 10 party schools were the State University of New York-Buffalo; the University of New Hampshire; the University of Colorado-Boulder; Florida State University; and the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-21-2002, 01:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Top Party Schools Named (One basis being popularity of fraternities and sororities)

Quote:
Originally posted by SATX*APhi

In the past year, five IU fraternities have been suspended or expelled for violations of alcohol policies, said Bill Stephan, the university's vice president for public affairs.

The party school designation is based on student reports on alcohol and marijuana use, the amount of time spent studying outside of class and the popularity of fraternities and sororities on campus.

I really do not see the relativity of this. How does the suspension of a fraternity have anything to do with the "partying statistic." Furthermore, how does the popularity of fraternities and sororities on campus figure in? I can see how they are social organizations; however, there are some social org's who aren't very social, or perhaps not social at all!

I think to rank schools according to which is more of a party school than another is funny and has no purpose, other than to tell high school students that if they go to this particular school they have a better chance at finding a good party rather than finding a good study group. (Okay, that may be pushing it a little. I just think ranking schools according to social life is a little ridiculous.)
Old 08-22-2002, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I think to rank schools according to which is more of a party school than another is funny and has no purpose, other than to tell high school students that if they go to this particular school they have a better chance at finding a good party rather than finding a good study group. (Okay, that may be pushing it a little. I just think ranking schools according to social life is a little ridiculous.)
If people didn't pay lots of attention to it then it wouldn't make the news... If people percieve a subject as important (or the media think they will) it'll air.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 05-23-2003, 04:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
Ten Schools That Party the Heartiest

http://encarta.msn.com/collegeArticl...rtySchools.asp

1. Indiana University-Bloomington

2. Clemson University

3. University of Alabama at Tuscaloosa

4. Penn State University

5. University of Florida

6. State University of New York at Buffalo

7. University of New Hampshire

8. University of Colorado at Boulder

9. Florida State University

10. University of Wisconsin at Madison
Old 05-23-2003, 05:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Ten Schools That Party the Heartiest

Quote:
Originally posted by Cream
9. Florida State University
Yay! Sigh, I remember the days when we were number one.
Old 05-23-2003, 05:57 PM
GreekChat Member

sdsu used to be a top party school....but they got all strict on the rules and uped the stardards to get in, so it is not what it used to be either. back at the end of the huge party era when ther rules were getting stricter so many fraternities were kicked off...it's crazy. a lot of them are just now starting to come back on.
Old 05-23-2003, 10:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ladybug1116
Re: Re: Ten Schools That Party the Heartiest

Quote:
Originally posted by librasoul22
Yay! Sigh, I remember the days when we were number one.
I know!! Things are so much different now...it's amazing how much "Sandy" managed to crack down even just since 1997.
Old 05-23-2003, 11:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to The_Nash
surprised

I'm surprised to not see Arizona State on their. Playboy recently ranked us as number 1...
Old 05-24-2003, 01:39 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm surprised that this list differs so much from the Playboy list.

I know some people who go to IU and said that the party scene is not that intense, and they were really surprised with this ranking.

Their analysis of the Wisconsin party scene is pretty dead on, but I think that the alcohol culture here is much different than it is at many other schools. Alcohol is just integrated into almost every activity here (my boyfriend's roommate even like to bust open the vodka bottle to sip out of while he wrote papers!); it's not "just a party thing." Basically, there are a lot of people here who drink a lot of alcohol all the time and that's pretty much seen as the campus norm.

Plus there's not a lot else to do up here once it gets cold!
Old 05-24-2003, 03:51 AM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
I remember when East Carolina was on there
Hmmmm no West Coast schools representing????
Old 05-24-2003, 05:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to steelepike Send a message via Yahoo to steelepike
Re: Top Party Schools Named (One basis being popularity of fraternities and sororities)

Quote:
Originally posted by SATX*APhi
and the popularity of fraternities and sororities on campus.

exactly why OSU will never be a top party school. we get the shaft from non-greeks and administration.
Old 05-24-2003, 04:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
Re: Re: Top Party Schools Named (One basis being popularity of fraternities and soror

Quote:
Originally posted by steelepike
exactly why OSU will never be a top party school. we get the shaft from non-greeks and administration.
Don't feel bad about that. Being a top party school can be a dubious distinction.
Old 05-24-2003, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to steelepike Send a message via Yahoo to steelepike
Re: Re: Re: Top Party Schools Named (One basis being popularity of fraternities and soror

Quote:
Originally posted by Cream
Don't feel bad about that. Being a top party school can be a dubious distinction.
Oh i wouldn't really like being known as a top party school.
Old 05-24-2003, 08:48 PM

Remember that there are serious questions about the methodology used by these guys.

My strong suspicion is that how a school rates counts as much on how many students reply during any given year as anything else.

Otherwise, I can't help but wonder why things change so much from year to year. Do you really think the party climate changes that much?
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 05-24-2003, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Re: Top Party Schools Named (One basis being popularity of fraternities and sororities)

Quote:
Originally posted by steelepike
Since you're Oklahoman I'm assuming you mean Okie State.. Strange that they would not list Ok State. Doesn't Stillwater have the honor of having the highest amount of beer consumed per capita in the world?
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma