GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 2,009
0 members and 2,009 guests
No Members online

Old 10-01-2008, 02:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Good salary

I'm curious what college students consider a "good" salary.

I know your major, what industry etc you land in has much to do with this.

But I'm working on a project that is geared toward recent college grads and would like to know what you guys think.

Thank you.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aabby757 View Post
I'm curious what college students consider a "good" salary.

I know your major, what industry etc you land in has much to do with this.

But I'm working on a project that is geared toward recent college grads and would like to know what you guys think.

Thank you.
Where you live, and the cost of living in that place, also has a great deal to do with it.

This seems to be such a general question that I can't imagine you'll get much more useful than "enough to live on and save some."
Old 10-22-2008, 04:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nikki1920 Send a message via Yahoo to nikki1920
For the DC Metro area: $32 to 50K. I've been out of school for a few years (ok, 8), but to get to and from work, pay rent, eat, maintain a car, buy some clothes once in a while, that is about what is needed to stay afloat. The variation takes in to account how close one is to the city and what the field is. The question is kind of broad. Can you narrow it a bit? Education? Technical? Computer? Non Profit? Government?
Old 10-23-2008, 04:54 PM

http://www.payscale.com/

This site allows you to plug in your education level, field, area you want to live in and such, and gives you an appoximation of your salary.

As far as I know, it's a good tool to get a ballpark number. The numbers I've gotten for my future field in my area sound about right (not unrealistically high, etc).

Lakers Nation.
Old 11-01-2008, 03:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm in Florida. I don't know much about the DC area.... but, when I graduated from undergrad (2 years ago), I wouldn't take anything less than $40k.

Dreams do come true when your an American.
Congratulations President and Vice President Elect, Barack Obama and Joe Biden!

Old 11-01-2008, 05:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki1920 View Post
For the DC Metro area: $32 to 50K. I've been out of school for a few years (ok, 8), but to get to and from work, pay rent, eat, maintain a car, buy some clothes once in a while, that is about what is needed to stay afloat. The variation takes in to account how close one is to the city and what the field is. The question is kind of broad. Can you narrow it a bit? Education? Technical? Computer? Non Profit? Government?
^^^ I agree with the above figure. I worked for Georgetown as a Development Assistant making just $28,000 or so in 2001-02. Georgetown has notoriously low salaries (I later learned) and had I gone directly into the *real* nonprofit sector that same year, I would have likely started at $32.

If I was in control of the budget, I wouldn't feel comfortable offering a recent college grad working for my nonprofit any less than $35,000. (The truth of the matter is that in HIV/AIDS work in non-national nonprofits in DC, recent college grads are passed over for this very reason. It's more likely you'll be able to hire someone older for less.)

((This is why y'all need to be donating to the link in my signature LOL I'm only serious))

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post

This site allows you to plug in your education level, field, area you want to live in and such, and gives you an appoximation of your salary.

As far as I know, it's a good tool to get a ballpark number. The numbers I've gotten for my future field in my area sound about right (not unrealistically high, etc).
I have used that website loads!
Old 03-23-2009, 09:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

This is a neat website!

Old 11-01-2008, 05:32 PM
GreekChat Member

It isn't always about money.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZetaGirl22
32 all the way up to 50? Are there kids in the area that really are getting that now? I was offered 32 at my first job after graduation 6 years ago and that was one of the higher offers. I was ECSTATIC! Just goes to show how things change as far as inflation and whatnot. I think my rent in my first place was $700/month (in Frederick County-most of us here work closer to DC-but to DC itself, probably a 40 mile commute, or more) and I was doing really well on that salary. By the time I was 3 years out of school, I couldn't even IMAGINE how I would survive on 32 a year anymore. I think NOW I'd be fine with that, but hubby is also making WAY more than what he was when he first started. I dont know where Im going with this-guess its just wild to see how things change so quickly
Loved by a Zeta Psi
Old 12-16-2008, 11:03 AM
GreekChat Member

I would say the $32-$50K range is pretty accurate. I went to the DC area a year out of college and started out at a little less than that. I was OK, but I was also sharing a crappy apartment with two (and for awhile, three) other people. But we do this stuff when we're young. :-)

Towards the end of my DC "adventure," I had moved up quite a bit in salary, but I also lived in a 1BR apartment by myself, so rent was a good bit higher. I was still able to pay all the bills, but I wasn't really able to save any money (which I realize is not as important to everyone).

Benefits are also an important consideration. Metrochek was a wonderful one for me. How much are they going to have to pay? What do they get out of it? And how consistent are your company's? (mine switched two or three times in the four years I was there, it was kind of a pain, although I understood they were trying to get the best deal for us)
Old 12-16-2008, 11:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nikki1920 Send a message via Yahoo to nikki1920
I was making maybe 23K at my first job out of school. But I did get benefits (medical) and Metrochek (whoo hoo!). I am making more than that now, with benefits (dental, visual and medical), a longer commute (not really public trans friendly), rent, utilities, gas, etc, etc. I would be able to save if I was making about $10k more, but que sera, sera. My job is stable (I work for county government) and reliable. I just wish it paid more, lol.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Good Salary

I agree with my brother Mystic Cat. It is going to heavily depend on what industry, degree and geographical location you are in. Also, would you be out of college with a Bachelor's, Master's, doctorate, JD etc? There are too many variables to consider. Another piece of the equation is do you have networking contacts in the real world that could help you land you a good job? Cost of living is huge.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:31 AM
GreekChat Member

I grew up in the DC metro area and moved back after I graduated from undergrad in 2007. I'd say the majority of people my age (24) in the DC area are living a bit outside their means only because of the cost of living here. My rent is $1,615 for a teeny little place with my boyfriend. A girl in our complex graduated from the same school as I did just a year before me and she said that her rent was 60% of her salary (I think it's supposed to be 30% according to traditional budgeting.) I barely make any money because I haven't gotten my masters yet, so I can only be an assistant right now, so rent is pretty much the only thing I spend money on. The recession is scaring the crap out of me because I'm basically realizing that I will never actually be able to afford to live the way I grew up in this area. I'd say that something decent for a recent college grad in the DC Metro area would be between 32 and 40. A good salary would be 40+ for someone as young as me. I'm going to go cry about not having money for food now. (how's that for a flounce?)

Old 03-19-2009, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri deezy View Post
My rent is $1,615 for a teeny little place with my boyfriend. A girl in our complex graduated from the same school as I did just a year before me and she said that her rent was 60% of her salary (I think it's supposed to be 30% according to traditional budgeting.) I barely make any money because I haven't gotten my masters yet, so I can only be an assistant right now, so rent is pretty much the only thing I spend money on.
Spending 60% of your salary on rent? Yikes. Why? Could she not find anything better (or does she just WANT to live above her means?)

Lakers Nation.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Spending 60% of your salary on rent? Yikes. Why? Could she not find anything better (or does she just WANT to live above her means?)

Yikes is exactly what I thought. She was living in a one bedroom place until she felt ready to move in with her boyfriend. Now that they live together they split rent, which is much more reasonable. I couldn't fathom not living with a roommate in this area. It's really absurd. She definitely didn't want to live above her means. Our places here really are nice, but not that nice. It's the kind of area where you have to pay a lot just to not share your apartment with mice and cockroaches. Hahaha.