GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24

Old 06-23-2007, 08:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Regarding stupid things posted on the internet: I remember a girl who one year posted all of her rankings and reasons for them on an online journal. It's amazing how fast word can spread between houses when something like that gets found, and NOBODY wants a girl who says rude things about specific houses in a public forum because it's just bad form.

I mean, I guess I can sympathize with the girls who don't know better than to say who their favorites are because maybe no one ever taught them the motto NUBlue&Blue just posted above... but the ones who can't shut up with the negative stuff about the other houses? That's not something they should have to be told not to do.
Old 06-24-2007, 02:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Sometimes I wish I could find dirt like that regarding the chapters at my school.

Why?

Because it would be just so darn amusing to see how misled the online poster is.

Then the rational side of me hopes I never will find such comments. At least I know how to tell the difference between truth and fiction, a PNM who finds the same content may not be able to do so. I just find it silly that people would shoot themselves in the foot like that, but in the process, potentially affect others' views.

I'm doing a lot of stuff with orientation at my school and I've had to knock some girls down to earth already, then remind them that they never know who is listening.

Last edited by Soliloquy; 06-24-2007 at 02:45 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-24-2007, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
I agree.

Alot of PNMs think that recruitment is "choosing a sorority." It's not. I think there'd be fewer overconfident (and subsequently disappointed) girls in recruitment if they truly understood how recruitment worked.
This is one of the reasons I dislike the term "potential new member" in place of "rushee." It makes it sound like becoming a new member is a sure thing. Rushee is someone going through the rush process, no more, no less. It's much more accurate and doesn't assume anything about your "potential."
Old 06-24-2007, 10:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
This is one of the reasons I dislike the term "potential new member" in place of "rushee." It makes it sound like becoming a new member is a sure thing. Rushee is someone going through the rush process, no more, no less. It's much more accurate and doesn't assume anything about your "potential."
Potential just means they COULD potentially be a new member, it doesn't necessarily mean that they hold potential themselves. It's basically just telling them they are a "maybe" new member; it's not a sure thing. It would definitely be different if members of houses were telling PNMs that they have "potential," however.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:46 PM

Yeah, you'd think that - I mean every female who has the GPA and isn't Greek - including women who are graduating in 3 weeks - is a "potential new member." However, I think that including the word "member" in any context gives some women the wrong impression. I don't like calling uninitiated women/pledges new members either, but that is another thread.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yeah, you'd think that - I mean every female who has the GPA and isn't Greek - including women who are graduating in 3 weeks - is a "potential new member." However, I think that including the word "member" in any context gives some women the wrong impression. I don't like calling uninitiated women/pledges new members either, but that is another thread.
Understandable viewpoint--I knew people that felt the same way about the term "new member," because they weren't technically members yet. I also knew people that didn't like new members to call them "sisters," because they weren't technically their sisters yet (not necessarily in my org, btw ), until after initiation.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrie435 View Post
I was one of those over-confident PNM's during recruitment and thinking back on it now, I really wish my PX had sat me down and just been honest with us about our chances. No one ever told us much about the fact that a lot of girls don't end up where they want. They kept telling us it was a mutual selection process and giving us the numbers of women placed every year (and never really making sure we realized that WE could be one of those 2% not placed rather than the 98% who got bids)

The moment that my group of friends and I first realized that sometimes it doesnt happen perfectly is actually when one of us got that dreaded phone call after preference parties to let her know she had not recieved a bid after suiciding. That was when I finally realized that the house I wanted may not actually want me enough to put me on their top list and I prepared myself to recieve a bid from a house I wasn't too thrilled about (even if I was confident, I wasn't stupid--so I kept all the houses I would be 'comfortable' joining even if they didn't dazzle me at recruitment). Thank God I did that because I did get that bid from my 'not-top house' and I ended up being President 2 years later, served on our campus Panhel, and had a Greek experience 10x better and more successful than any other girl who went through rush with me that semester.

I could have reached that point a lot earlier and taken a little less time to get used to the idea that they may love me, but they just couldn't take me if only our PX's would have been a little more realistic and maybe even harsh with us from the start. I feel like there are so many unrealistic PNM's out there that could make it through recruitment but no one takes the time to knock them down from that high horse before they get cut hard and drop out completely. (Keep in mind I go to a northern school so it's not the "I've been bred for this chapter" mentality, it's the "I was popular in high school and know 50 members of XYZ" one).
I completely agree. Although I didn't have this experience as a PNM, I see it every year. Panhel and the RC's often try and sugar coat it and that ended up blowing up in their faces last year when we switched to a different matching system and it was very different from our old one. Lots of girls who thought they were guaranteed a spot to make it back to even the SECOND night of parties and they didn't get their top ranks. Almost all of those girls simply walked out and we lost about a fourth of the girls who could have joined a sorority on campus (even if it wasn't their first pick). I think it would have helped if the matching system had been better explained and the girls had been better warned that they might not get the house they feel they are a shoo-in for.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Sorry, I just re-read that and realized most of my sentences are awful! Thats what happens when I just start typing!
Old 07-06-2007, 12:42 AM
GreekChat Member

I agree that the official word is often wildly optimistic and that offices of Greek Life and sometimes recruitment counselors can do damage because they spread the word about what should happened in the perfect world, not what will realistically happen to a particular girl in recruitment.

Even reporting 98% placement is somewhat deceptive unless you point out that it's 98% placement for girls who are willing to join whatever groups want them when the whole shebang is over.

I don't think the schools that discuss placement rates even mention the often high number of girls who drop out because they didn't like their results. And at schools like UGA, it's a pretty big number.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ADPi Conniebama
Quote:

GOOD ARGUMENT MEE TOO DITTO """"""""""""""""
Old 01-21-2008, 09:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Hopefully they (entering freshman) will attend some summer orientation at their college where they will see that everyone is pretty, smart, a high school athlete for several sports, was in student government and sang in the choir. I know my daughter was shocked when she came home from the camp saying most of the people were just like her. Some did more and some did less but everybody had done something. The orientation leaders were quick to point this out and say that's why you are at this school because you are smart and did something. Now find a friend in you class who was also a team captian and don't bring you letter jacket to school. (These are popular in Texas from band members to athletes)
Old 01-22-2008, 12:16 AM
GreekChat Member

My personal pet peeve is the inevitable set of emails I get each summer that read something like this:

Dear Mrs. President of Panhellenic and all that Good stuff:

I am going to be a freshman at University of I'm Too Good For Them that has 15 plus sororities, and I am planning to go through recruitment in the fall. I am hoping you can assist me with recommendations. I plan to rush at the following houses as they are my favorites: xyz, abc, def, and zzz. Please send recs for those houses. Thanks so much. Love and stuff, Penelope PNM.

This means I have to go through my little spiel about how we as an APH do not send recs selectively, that our reps will send recs to each house on her campus for which we have delegates, that she needs to keep an open mind and give every house a chance as joining a sorority is a great honor and each one of them can offer her an amazing experience. Then I go into my explanation (short but honest) about how every year, the girls who don't heed this advice run into difficulties, when they realize too late in the game that selectivity is better left to the houses, and that the PNM should really have given each house a better chance. There's always the story about the double legacy who thought she knew better and ended up with no bid. That part I usually leave out.

It's a constant education, isn't it?
Old 01-22-2008, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator

yes it is-and one that many don't heed.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnard1897 View Post
My personal pet peeve is the inevitable set of emails I get each summer that read something like this:

Dear Mrs. President of Panhellenic and all that Good stuff:

I am going to be a freshman at University of I'm Too Good For Them that has 15 plus sororities, and I am planning to go through recruitment in the fall. I am hoping you can assist me with recommendations. I plan to rush at the following houses as they are my favorites: xyz, abc, def, and zzz. Please send recs for those houses. Thanks so much. Love and stuff, Penelope PNM.

This means I have to go through my little spiel about how we as an APH do not send recs selectively, that our reps will send recs to each house on her campus for which we have delegates, that she needs to keep an open mind and give every house a chance as joining a sorority is a great honor and each one of them can offer her an amazing experience. Then I go into my explanation (short but honest) about how every year, the girls who don't heed this advice run into difficulties, when they realize too late in the game that selectivity is better left to the houses, and that the PNM should really have given each house a better chance. There's always the story about the double legacy who thought she knew better and ended up with no bid. That part I usually leave out.

It's a constant education, isn't it?
I hope that her original request gets included when sent to the sororities that aren't her "favorites."

I swear, btwn GC & stories like this, sometimes I think every other girl going through rush these days is Veruca Salt. And a stupid Veruca Salt, at that.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:20 PM
GreekChat Member

I typically get these "my fave houses" requests from girls on deferred recruitment campuses. Indiana U. is one of these campuses. The girls attend a few informal events in the fall, shop around, and think they know what's what. I have to constantly remind them that IU is an extremely competitive Greek system with too many going through and not enough spots for everyone. AND that the houses there are all pretty strong and have something to offer.

OR, they are from a family with sorority women and they are overconfident. Two years ago, we had an unfortunate situation with a legacy of 2 NPC groups, who decided she was going to start "cutting" houses midway through recruitment at a large Greek campus.

Problem is, she was in no way outstanding or particularly outgoing, and she was riding on legacy coattails which is why she had a few courtesy invites to those 2 houses, phase after phase. She figured she was a lock at one if not both of them. To her horror, she ended up with only one pref invitation to a house that was weak and that she did not want to join--the 2 houses she had legacy ties to released her prior to preference. She was sobbing and called our APH president to say she was dropping out. We convinced her to go to her final party and finish out the process. She was encouraged to attend because frankly, it was better than sitting home all night while everyone else was at Pref, and it was courteous to go back to the one house who had invited her. To her credit, she did attend. She dropped out thereafter, but she learned some important lessons.