GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,447
1 members and 1,446 guests
No Members online

Old 07-28-2009, 04:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
Phi Beta Kappa was a bad example, but was said is still true. While there are organizations that have separate mottos, for quite a few the motto is the name. And yeah I looked it up after I posted that question.
Well, I used Phi Beta Kappa, because this is common knowledge (ie, its no longer secret). You can get this info on their website.

I thougth that was better then trying to either a) make something up or b) reveal another orgs secret info.
Section 71 Chair
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-28-2009, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emb021 View Post
Well, I used Phi Beta Kappa, because this is common knowledge (ie, its no longer secret). You can get this info on their website.
I think he meant "bad example" in the sense that I commented on above -- Phi Beta Kappa was a bad example of how the Greek letters are the initials of the group's real name, since FBK were the initials of the groups secret motto, not of the group's real name.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Like Theta Chi which stands for Θηρόποσα Χείρ "The Helping Hand" or even Delta Upsilon which stands for Dikaia Upotheke which stands for "Justice, Our Foundation"
Old 08-19-2009, 08:40 AM
GreekChat Member

This is getting to be a bit of an old post (maybe you've gone through recruitment already?) but I think the biggest part of this issue is that finding out the secret meaning behind a sorority or fraternity's letters, symbols, handshake, is part of the fun of initiating.

I think what you've gotten from this is that there are a lot of different ways GLO's were named, but they are all personal and special.

As far as the chapter names, one thing that some of us take particular pride in is being a "single letter" chapter, which means we are one of the oldest chapters of the national group. But I guess this would only apply if your group organizes chapters that way.

Good luck!