GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 2,349
0 members and 2,349 guests
No Members online

Old 12-03-2012, 10:22 PM
GreekChat Member

New Family

Ok so I've tried looking online in general and browsing around this thread and I haven't been able to find any answers or advice.

I'm trying to start a new family within my sorority. The specific reasons why aren't really relevant to this but my mind has been made up. I know some people view it as really disrespectful or unnecessary, but me starting a new family is not going to end the line of the current one I'm in so don't worry. But please only answer if you have anything helpful to add.

How do you go about starting new traditions and rituals for a family?
And how exactly do you "de-activate" so to speak from your current family?

Thanks
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-03-2012, 11:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by December190 View Post
Ok so I've tried looking online in general and browsing around this thread and I haven't been able to find any answers or advice.

I'm trying to start a new family within my sorority. The specific reasons why aren't really relevant to this but my mind has been made up. I know some people view it as really disrespectful or unnecessary, but me starting a new family is not going to end the line of the current one I'm in so don't worry. But please only answer if you have anything helpful to add.

Thanks
I don't think I even understand what you are trying to say/ do. Maybe a little more detail would help? Is this an NPC org?
Old 12-03-2012, 11:20 PM

Quote:

Thanks
Just like you may have friends who are closer than your biological family, your sorority family may not be the people you are closest to in your sorority. It has happened to lots of people before you and it will happen to lots of people after you.

Unless you love your chapter so little that you feel bringing unnecessary drama to it is a good idea, and unless you really are excited about the idea of forcing your sisters to choose between you and another sister, you need to drop this.

Sorry that wasn't "helpful," but it's the truth.

ETA: I looked at your other posts and when your big leaves, it's most likely that you and your twins' families will kind of self-splinter anyway. Our chapter had one girl who was like Abraham (many many descendants) and half the chapter was technically her family. As the branches grew, they changed up the traditions slightly. It's the end of the semester and everyone hates everyone. Just go home for break and let everything chill a bit.

Last edited by 33girl; 12-03-2012 at 11:28 PM.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Like big/little family lines?

If so, that's going to depend entirely on your chapter. At mine, we had some families that were started when someone said "I have a really cool idea for a family!" and everyone else was fine with it. Others with strong family traditions/cliques/divisions might not be so okay with it. Either way, it's not that serious.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:04 AM
GreekChat Member

I am a member of a relatively new family line. My big big was part of a HUGE 'family', the turtle family, and she herself had four littles and like six grandlittles. So since the turtle family was so large, my big big chose to branch off into the peacock family. It wasn't a matter of not liking her own family anymore, it was because said family was so large that it was basically the entire chapter (our ceiling is set at 35 girls.) Since then, the turtle family has almost died off, leaving one member before big/little this year. We joked that we were all becoming turtles to keep them going! :P
In this instance, at the time branching off into a new family line seemed like a great idea at a time. The turtle family was waaayyy to big, and big big had a large enough branch to form her own family. However, in retrospect, this year we almost rejoined the turtle family because they were too small.
I don't think there is really any reason to start a new family line unless yours is just way too big. *shrugs* Just speaking from a semi-personal experience here.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:50 AM
GreekChat Member

More information: My sorority does "families" so like my twin, big, g big, gg big and all my littles are one family and we have a name and there are 4 families in the sorority.

My big is now an alum and I am not close with the head of my family or a majority of them. I've recently become really unhappy with a lot of decisions that the chapter has made and I've lost a lot of my passion and drive for my sorority, which is sad because last semester I lived and breathed this sisterhood.

This isn't about drama or forcing anyone to choose, that's not my style, and I'm not going to be a brat about it. This isn't a disrespectful tantrum thing. This is just something that I think will revive my interest in my chapter and I think the girls who want to join this new family are really excited and I'm excited.

It's not a negative thing. I was just wondering if anyone had advice or stories to share.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
More information: My sorority does "families" so like my twin, big, g big, gg big and all my littles are one family and we have a name and there are 4 families in the sorority.

My big is now an alum and I am not close with the head of my family or a majority of them. I've recently become really unhappy with a lot of decisions that the chapter has made and I've lost a lot of my passion and drive for my sorority, which is sad because last semester I lived and breathed this sisterhood.

This isn't about drama or forcing anyone to choose, that's not my style, and I'm not going to be a brat about it. This isn't a disrespectful tantrum thing. This is just something that I think will revive my interest in my chapter and I think the girls who want to join this new family are really excited and I'm excited.

It's not a negative thing. I was just wondering if anyone had advice or stories to share.
I am seeing an awful lot of "I" in those reasons. Your earlier posts said you rushed as a junior last fall so that means you'll be leaving soon. You've already talked to other girls about taking them into a new family before even finding out how or if you can do it. It sounds to me like you're set to cause a lot of unnecessary drama even if that is not your intention, just because your big went early alumna and now you aren't happy.