GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,460
Threads: 115,512
Welcome to our newest member, anthonshtolze75
» Online Users: 2,287
1 members and 2,286 guests
Sarak24034

Old 07-03-2009, 02:27 PM

As a recruitment/panhellenic advisor to my own chapter, allow me to recommend this book (which has been discussed here before), I Heart Recruitment: The Eight Steps to LImitless Possibility for Sororities. It is written for sorority leaders, greek professionals, alumni advisors, and new members. They address how internal issues effect recruitment. Sometimes it may take just five of you willing to work hard and setting that example for your enthusiam to spill over to others. If the older members are the ones mainly responsible for the internal problems, stick with your pledge class and future pledge classes to not keep passing on those attitudes. The older girls will be leaving soon as they graduate.

My chapter has had a history of internal problems. This book has really helped us to change that as well as having sisterhoods that are team building focused. A good sisterhood will lead to a good recruitment. A good recruitment will lead/sustain/reflect on a good sisterhood.

PS--There is a similar book out there for fraternities. Good Guys: The Eight Steps to Limitless Possibilty for Fraternity Recruitment.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-03-2009, 04:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Oooh, I agree with so much of the advice here.

Hairbrush - I applaud you and your pledge class for being willing to work hard and lift up the chapter. Sometimes it's true that chapters go on for years just doing the same old thing because that's what they've always done. Some chapters are small and have performance issues, and tend to attract new members who like that kind of vibe, thus perpetuating the problem.

Some of this advice is the same as what's already been posted, but it's good to reiterate:
- Focus on the actions of your pledge class and recruiting like-minded women in the fall
- If you want to make behavioral changes, bring your pledge class together and create unofficial rules of conduct for yourselves. Wait until you are in leadership positions before bringing this code of conduct to the chapter as a whole.
- Study to get good grades (especially if your chapter doesn't have a great GPA now)
- Go to ALL the sorority and fraternity philanthropy events as a noticeable group
- Have sisters get ACTIVELY involved in other big groups on campus: homecoming committee, student leadership, the alumni association, the steering committees for big events
- Develop a great "giving back" service event that will pull in the whole campus and Greek system: a clean-up, a free women's self-defense workshop, etc.
- Cultivate your style and pay attention to your appearance. We're women, we feel better and more confident when we look good. Plus, if your chapter isn't perceived as being attractive, then it won't hurt to make an extra effort on a daily basis.

And this last thing is very important: don't get TOO caught up in the rankings and being the underdog, it can really start to take a toll on your self-esteem. When you are so focused on bringing a chapter "up" in the Greek world, there is an inherent reiteration that you or your chapter are somehow less desirable. Take the time to focus on your, and your sisters', individual worth and betterment. Don't get too caught up in what the fraternities think of you, because that can lead to a "get the boys to like us/me at any cost" mentality, which can lead to a very unclassy culture within a chapter.

Think about what it would take to make the very best YOU that you can imagine: great grades, great involvement, social, classy, always put-together, witty, athletic, etc. Cultivate that in all of your members, and the chapter as a whole will be that, too.

Good luck!!
Old 09-16-2009, 06:10 PM
GreekChat Member

I know what youre talking about. I know of a chapter that was considered "lame" on campus.

First off....peoples opinions dont matter, you need to be true to yourself, and your sisterhood (and honestly, there will be people who like your org, and people who hate your org...it will change, you need to wait and see what the actual respected people think!)

Secondly, if you feel like your org is having problems being fun, laid back, friendly, etc., this is not permanent. Stereotypes are not real, and how your org acts is not permanent. Every class that comes in can change the entire tone of the sorority!

The change has to start with you, be fun, peppy, wear letters out to games, the library, etc! Go to socials, have fun. Girls will get in on it, they will have fun too. Establish a culture of friendliness and fun, have more sisterhood bonding - hang out, go to movies, etc. Be visible. If you take on a bright sunny personality, when you go through recruitment, you can pick up girls like that too, and the next class can follow the same route.

What I am saying is, it starts with YOU, you make a bigger impact on your org than you realize. Try to imagine (whether this is true or not) for every active in your org, two more like that girl will come in next time around.

So BE that girl that you want your sorority to be! You'll start to multiply.