GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 698
0 members and 698 guests
No Members online

Old 03-12-2013, 11:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sairose Send a message via Yahoo to sairose
Need input on sorority jewelry

I make and sell jewelry. I specialize in bracelets. I would like to start selling sorority ones.

I would like to post pictures of samples, not to sell on here (I'm pretty sure that isn't allowed, anyways), but to get feedback on if you think they are nicely designed or not and get feedback on what I should charge for them.

Before I do that I wanted to see if that kind of discussion is allowed on here? I want to make it clear that I am NOT selling them here--I just want opinions on the samples I made. I tried to find an answer on if it's allowed but I couldn't find an answer.

Let me know, and I'll start posting pictures if that is allowed!
Old 03-13-2013, 06:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Most sororities have licensing agreements with vendors where you have to pay a percentage to them - like college and professional sports teams. You'd need to contact them about paying the fees.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Most sororities have licensing agreements with vendors where you have to pay a percentage to them - like college and professional sports teams. You'd need to contact them about paying the fees.
That depends on the design. A licensing agreement is needed to use the Greek letters or other trademarked emblems (e.g. coats of arms) of a GLO. But there is no trademark infringement with, say, a blue bracelet with a fleur-de-lis, or to use her example here, a red and yellow bracelet with an owl charm.

Last edited by MysticCat; 03-13-2013 at 09:37 AM.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:45 AM
GreekChat Member

I am not using letters or crests because I know of the copyrights involved in those. The ones I make use colors and symbols/mascots, nothing copyrighted.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes, that would be fine. Putting the sorority letters, their colors, etc on it probably wouldn't be.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yes, that would be fine. Putting the sorority letters, their colors, etc on it probably wouldn't be.
Colors would not be a problem.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:40 AM
GreekChat Member

In all honesty, why don't you just ask your friends IRL or find a forum for people who make jewelry like on etsy? I'm just not sure how GC can advise you on what you should charge or tell you anything other than, "ooh that's cute." It's not like we're going to recommend that the owl charm be moved two millimeters to the left or something. You already make and sell jewelry, so you know how to price and design it. The best you'll get from here is word of mouth advertising.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Colors would not be a problem.
I meant all of it together....not just in those colors. Sorry, wasn't phrased well.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf View Post
In all honesty, why don't you just ask your friends IRL or find a forum for people who make jewelry like on etsy? I'm just not sure how GC can advise you on what you should charge or tell you anything other than, "ooh that's cute." It's not like we're going to recommend that the owl charm be moved two millimeters to the left or something. You already make and sell jewelry, so you know how to price and design it. The best you'll get from here is word of mouth advertising.
All I wanted was to know if the designs were simply something that other sorority members would want to buy. I don't want to invest tons of money into something that might not even sell; and it might not anyways, but at least an opinion as far as if you like them and would buy them is helpful.

So here are a few samples of what I have made so far. Chi Omega, and Zeta Tau Alpha.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I meant all of it together....not just in those colors. Sorry, wasn't phrased well.
Gotcha.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by sairose View Post
All I wanted was to know if the designs were simply something that other sorority members would want to buy. I don't want to invest tons of money into something that might not even sell; and it might not anyways, but at least an opinion as far as if you like them and would buy them is helpful.

So here are a few samples of what I have made so far. Chi Omega, and Zeta Tau Alpha.

I can't see the images?
Old 03-13-2013, 07:06 PM
GreekChat Member

I'd suggest looking at what sells on Etsy (disregard the fact that I'm sure most of those folks aren't licensed). It's pretty easy to go to the various sellers' homepages to check out their sold listings, and from there you can see exactly what items are selling and how frequently.

Some examples:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/BestSororit..._sales_leftnav
http://www.etsy.com/shop/KorenaLoves..._sales_leftnav
http://www.etsy.com/shop/designsbyjt..._sales_leftnav
http://www.etsy.com/shop/infusion8/s..._sales_leftnav
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CullensColl..._sales_leftnav

Hope that helps!
Old 03-14-2013, 12:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf View Post
Seriously untwist those panties. There may be others who are into the same thing on GC and could help.

KLTC
Old 03-14-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM_Mama00 View Post
Seriously untwist those panties. There may be others who are into the same thing on GC and could help.
Wordy word word. (You and I are brain sharing today apparently.)

sairose - I have a red & white bracelet with a ladybug on it that is nice because I (and any other sister who would see it) know what it means, but it doesn't scream OMG SORORITY GIRL JEWELRY. To me that is the main thing to keep in mind.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM_Mama00 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Wordy word word. (You and I are brain sharing today apparently.)
The OP asked for opinions. I gave her mine.