GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Fundraising

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 1,480
0 members and 1,480 guests
No Members online

Old 10-01-2012, 05:17 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not gonna argue with you. I'm letting the subject be.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-01-2012, 05:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
Re: last paragraph. You're going to "donate" the money raised to yourself. Let's just be clear on that point.
It is really deceptive to call it a "fundraiser" when the money collected is for YOURSELF.

If you want to have a real fundraiser (in the generally understood meaning of the word) then hold the fundraiser and donate the money to a LEGIT charitable cause.

If you are going to keep the money to pay for something for yourself, then be honest and do not call it a fundraiser.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
It is really deceptive to call it a "fundraiser" when the money collected is for YOURSELF.

If you want to have a real fundraiser (in the generally understood meaning of the word) then hold the fundraiser and donate the money to a LEGIT charitable cause.

If you are going to keep the money to pay for something for yourself, then be honest and do not call it a fundraiser.
If you are raising funds for something, anything really, then it's a fundraiser.

And I'm not going to argue, I'm just pointing out facts.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulInterest View Post
If you are raising funds for something, anything really, then it's a fundraiser.

And I'm not going to argue, I'm just pointing out facts.
Well, shoot!! Who knew it was that easy? I could sure use some help with my car payment this month! Let's get the planning started for my Nissan fundraiser
Old 10-01-2012, 06:42 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^

There you go. It is that easy! Where have YOU been?

(As for the "not going to argue"... looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck )
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 10-01-2012, 06:49 PM
GreekChat Member

You know what? I'm not even going to respond if you guys are going to act so immature.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
^^^

There you go. It is that easy! Where have YOU been?

(As for the "not going to argue"... looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck )
Did you say DUCKS?
Old 10-01-2012, 07:30 PM
GreekChat Member

What you are talking about doing is selling food to earn money for something you want. That is NOT fundraising. Will you be disclosing where the profits of your home cafe will be going? If not, that is not ethical.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 10-01-2012, 07:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I posted the definition of fundraising. What I'm talking about is, by definition, fundraising. If you don't agree, that's your right. You can hold whatever opinion you want.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Grabbing definitions out of a dictionary won't get you a pass in the real world. I guarantee you that 99 out of 100 people or more would disagree with your version of fundraising. And...you didn't answer my question. Do you plan to tell your donors where the funds will be going?

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 10-01-2012, 07:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Taking it down to the basics: Since you're not donating the money to a 501c(3), you should report the profit as income for tax purposes. Don't forget that you're going to need to meet your area's (county/town) requirements for health certificates for serving food. If your guests should become ill you'll be liable since you sold them the food.

That's fundraising 101.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 10-01-2012, 07:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
Grabbing definitions out of a dictionary won't get you a pass in the real world. I guarantee you that 99 out of 100 people or more would disagree with your version of fundraising. And...you didn't answer my question. Do you plan to tell your donors where the funds will be going?
To the extent that I can. The org is extremely private about their recruitment.

Quote:
Taking it down to the basics: Since you're not donating the money to a 501c(3), you should report the profit as income for tax purposes. Don't forget that you're going to need to meet your area's (county/town) requirements for health certificates for serving food. If your guests should become ill you'll be liable since you sold them the food.

That's fundraising 101.
Since I would pretty much just be cooking for friends (something I do all the time -- I would say at least twice a week), I don't need to worry about any of that (meeting requirements for serving food etc). And since I don't make enough money to have to pay taxes, I don't need to worry about that either.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Since there has been a lot of concern about whether this fits the definition of fundraising or not, I think it would be a good idea to check with the members and find out what THEY expect from the two fundraising events you are required to organize. The intention may be that you select a charity, or two, and organize an event to raise awareness and funds for this cause. Supporting charitable efforts is important to all GLOs that I know of, and this may well be the intent. I would check to be sure. You want to make a good impression and follow the intent of the requirement.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
To the extent that I can. The org is extremely private about their recruitment.
Then why are you posting here on GreekChat?

Quote:
Since I would pretty much just be cooking for friends (something I do all the time -- I would say at least twice a week), I don't need to worry about any of that (meeting requirements for serving food etc). And since I don't make enough money to have to pay taxes, I don't need to worry about that either.
Excuse me, but you most certainly do, if you're selling the food. You are also missing the point about having to report income. ALL income. Regardless of whether you earn enough to pay taxes or not.

I think we're here now, people.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
Since there has been a lot of concern about whether this fits the definition of fundraising or not, I think it would be a good idea to check with the members and find out what THEY expect from the two fundraising events you are required to organize. The intention may be that you select a charity, or two, and organize an event to raise awareness and funds for this cause. Supporting charitable efforts is important to all GLOs that I know of, and this may well be the intent. I would check to be sure. You want to make a good impression and follow the intent of the requirement.
The fundraisers are for me as an official interest to raise money to help cover my orientation fee. They are not at all for charity. I was told this when I was told I had to do fundraising.

Quote:
Then why are you posting here on GreekChat?

Excuse me, but you most certainly do, if you're selling the food. You are also missing the point about having to report income. ALL income. Regardless of whether you earn enough to pay taxes or not.

I think we're here now, people.
Because I'm looking for ideas. I'm not really sure how you don't get that.

And no, I don't. It's the same as cooking for my friends on any other occasion. I have never reported my income (unless it is automatically reported?), so why would I have to report this? Or, I could have it be on a basis of donation, so then the money would be a gift, and you absolutely do not have to report gifts.

ETA: I just got an email from the sister in charge of recruitment and she said that some ideas sisters have used are: Collecting cans and returning them at a grocery store, selling candy, and holding bake sales.

Last edited by HopefulInterest; 10-01-2012 at 08:12 PM.