GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 317,391
Threads: 115,922
Welcome to our newest member, thehotarticle

Old 08-16-2013, 07:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow! Would be interesting to know if/how she ends up being a valuable member to her chapter!
Old 08-16-2013, 10:31 PM
GreekChat Member

This is not a current phenomenon, but happened 30+ years ago: our Rush Counselors revealed their NPC Homes BEFORE we filled out our Pref Cards. You see, strong early tent talk during rush had correctly discovered that each rush counselor (there were ten, one for each house) began her group's Open House Tour at her own NPC Sorority Home. As a result, some rushees already 'knew' the identity of each counselor's sorority. This early reveal affected my own pref card listing, as I truly wanted to belong to a particular Rush Counselor's group.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDLynn View Post

Wow! Would be interesting to know if/how she ends up being a valuable member to her chapter!
We are in a campus group together, so I know she holds a position now and is very passionate about it. Honestly, comments aside, she wouldn't have been a great fit for our chapter. I'm very happy for her and it seems like her chapter has calmed her down and taught her a lot!
Old 08-16-2013, 10:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
I'm so used to the word Sorority, it's been a weird adjustment for me to realize my daughter is in a fraternity. When she add Pi Phi to her resume as a fraternity, it just seemed odd! I've noticed that a lot of the materials she's gotten will say "Fraternity for Women" after the name. Do other group do this, too?
Just catching up on this thread (and why, yes, I am procrastinating!). How funny that I just wrote a post this week about dear Dr.Smalley and the word "sorority."

Sometime in the past few years, Pi Beta Phi Fraternity had "for Women" added to it in printed materials. I suspect it was to head off the question posed in the graphic a few posts ahead of this. Explaining that a women's fraternity, fraternity for women, and a sorority are all one in the same is one of my elevator speeches.

Last edited by nyapbp; 08-17-2013 at 07:15 AM.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyapbp View Post
Just catching up on this thread (and why, yes, I am procrastinating!). How funny that I just wrote a post this week about dear Dr.Smalley and the word "sorority."

Sometime in the past few years, Pi Beta Phi Fraternity had "for Women" added to it in printed materials. I suspect it was to head off the question posed in the graphic a few posts ahead of this. Explaining that a women's fraternity, fraternity for women, and a sorority are all one in the same is one of my elevator speeches.
Though I don't recall any graphics referring to Alpha Chi Omega Fraternity, in many print materials, the copy reads "Alpha Chi Omega women's fraternity".

"Together, Let Us Seek the Heights"

I <3 My KΣ
Old 08-17-2013, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator

Our daughters' friend had her engagement announcement in the paper last month and my husband said, "Oh no! The paper screwed up again and put that Megan is in Alpha Omicron Pi Fraternity!" I had to educate him about all that.

(Yes, the paper screws up a whole lot.)
Old 08-18-2013, 08:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I have a weird bid day story... There's a girl in my pledge class who brought her best friend along for everything. And I mean everything. Her friend was there when she opened her bid, when she ran to the chapter, and throughout all of our bid day activities. As far as I know her friend isn't Greek nor has any desire to be. It felt very weird.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator

Panhellenic and the sorority let her hang out?
Old 08-18-2013, 09:19 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree...that is weird.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:47 PM
GreekChat Member

That is weird, but more important, congratulations to you on a successful recruitment! I was hoping you'd have a happy ending!
Old 08-19-2013, 02:35 AM
GreekChat Member

I know Panhellenic has strict rules when it comes to family/friends being at bid opening, but she must have slipped under the radar. When hundreds of girls crowd into a relatively small space, it's hard to tell who is a PNM and who is not. And I guess my sorority was just being polite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Ivy View Post
That is weird, but more important, congratulations to you on a successful recruitment! I was hoping you'd have a happy ending!
Thank you so much! I was just thrilled when I opened my bid card. I love my new sisters already and I'm so proud of my letters!
Old 09-10-2013, 05:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Really, nothing?
Old 09-10-2013, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator

Did you mean to put this in another thread?

(I was hoping for another weird rush story, haha.)
Old 09-15-2013, 02:11 AM
GreekChat Member

No. I was complaining that it is recruitment season and no stories.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:47 PM
GreekChat Member

It seems to work best when a few years have lapsed since when the weird PNM came through.