GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 314,081
Threads: 115,485
Posts: 2,168,690
Welcome to our newest member, robertharrison
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #811  
Old 08-17-2009, 01:01 AM
KSUViolet06 KSUViolet06 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 18,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by pplforever View Post

At my friends school its the same deal (rush is 2nd semester, its cold, people wear uggs in between houses). Well she had finished up at her party and came outside to put on her uggs when lo and behold, someone pooped in her uggs! I still cant fathom how it could have happened
Oh. My. Word.
__________________
"Remember that apathy has no place in our Sorority." - Kelly Jo Karnes, Pi

Lakers Nation.
Reply With Quote
  #812  
Old 08-17-2009, 03:48 PM
TSteven TSteven is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Left Coast
Posts: 3,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppyGPhiB View Post
Yes. I would rather that chapters showed a video about their philanthropy or talked about it, or even had someone from the organization they support there to say something. Fill the rest of the time with normal chit-chat as in the other days of recruitment.
General hijack questions.

Under current NPC recruitment rules, is that possible? As in have a non sorority member (if no member was part of the organization) there to talk? Or even if they were a member of the sorority and part of the organization, I would guess they might be an alumnae. Again, I thought that the NPC did not allow alumnae to directly recruit. So would having an alumnae talk (either in person or on tape) about the sorority's philanthropy be considered participating in the recruiting process?

Personally, I think it would be a great idea to allow it. Perhaps if it isn't now, then something the NPC might consider down the line.

One other issue regarding philanthropy round. Regarding videos, if there is a narrative, who is allowed to do the voice over? Is it restricted to current members? Or may alumnae - either from the current or other chapters - allowed to narrate it? Can a non member do the voice over? Also, do any of the NPCs HQs produce a video that in turn may be distributed to any of their chapters for use during recruitment?

End of hijack questions.
Reply With Quote
  #813  
Old 08-17-2009, 07:23 PM
BabyPiNK_FL BabyPiNK_FL is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
Posts: 1,863
I don't think she meant talking to the girls personally, but making a presentation about the philanthropy and perhaps taking a few questions afterward. I'm certain this is allowed at my campus because my chapter was going to do it, but the representative was unable to make it at the last minute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSteven View Post
General hijack questions.

Under current NPC recruitment rules, is that possible? As in have a non sorority member (if no member was part of the organization) there to talk? Or even if they were a member of the sorority and part of the organization, I would guess they might be an alumnae. Again, I thought that the NPC did not allow alumnae to directly recruit. So would having an alumnae talk (either in person or on tape) about the sorority's philanthropy be considered participating in the recruiting process?

Personally, I think it would be a great idea to allow it. Perhaps if it isn't now, then something the NPC might consider down the line.

One other issue regarding philanthropy round. Regarding videos, if there is a narrative, who is allowed to do the voice over? Is it restricted to current members? Or may alumnae - either from the current or other chapters - allowed to narrate it? Can a non member do the voice over? Also, do any of the NPCs HQs produce a video that in turn may be distributed to any of their chapters for use during recruitment?

End of hijack questions.
__________________
I am not my hair. I am not this skin . I am the soul that lives within.
Reply With Quote
  #814  
Old 08-17-2009, 08:02 PM
TSteven TSteven is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Left Coast
Posts: 3,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyPiNK_FL View Post
I don't think she meant talking to the girls personally, but making a presentation about the philanthropy and perhaps taking a few questions afterward. I'm certain this is allowed at my campus because my chapter was going to do it, but the representative was unable to make it at the last minute.
Good to know. Thanks.

And to be clear, I did not mean talk *with* the girls, but talk *at* them. As in what you suggested (presentation and perhaps some questions).

Given all the restrictions and regulations that govern NPC recruitment - and the whole "no frills concept" - I could see where the NPC might not allow it.
Reply With Quote
  #815  
Old 08-17-2009, 09:08 PM
33girl 33girl is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Hotel Oceanview
Posts: 34,042
NPC doesn't disallow alums to directly recruit - that is up to the chapter/sorority/school. We had a recolonization attempt at my alma mater where the chapter alums had parties the same as all the other groups rushing.

You might have to disclose the cost of a video if you have it specially made for your chapters, but if James Earl Jones wants to narrate it for free, I don't think that would be a problem. After all, the people being helped by the philanthropy who are in the video aren't members either.
__________________
It is all 33girl's fault. ~DrPhil
Reply With Quote
  #816  
Old 08-17-2009, 09:38 PM
UGAalum94 UGAalum94 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Atlanta area
Posts: 5,387
I'll be the jerk.

I think it's a little goofy to emphasize philanthropy at campuses that have a rather lackadaisical approach to philanthropy during the year.

If your chapter isn't spending a 1/4 of its time overall on philanthropy projects, why make it a 1/4 of rush?

It just seems lame to me because it's so clearly image over substance.
Reply With Quote
  #817  
Old 08-17-2009, 10:21 PM
Low C Sharp Low C Sharp is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 660
Some of the FSU rush videos available on Youtube have attractive young men in them, talking about how great the XYZs are.

That seems to violate the spirit of the no-men-at-rush rule, if not the letter.
________

Last edited by Low C Sharp; 08-05-2013 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Got rid of old spam in the sig!
Reply With Quote
  #818  
Old 08-18-2009, 12:11 AM
KDpeanut KDpeanut is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1
This isn't really a rush story, but when I was an active we had an active sister who was 32. Wierd.
Reply With Quote
  #819  
Old 08-18-2009, 12:43 AM
33girl 33girl is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Hotel Oceanview
Posts: 34,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDpeanut View Post
This isn't really a rush story, but when I was an active we had an active sister who was 32. Wierd.
Ummm, your chapter must not have thought it was too WEIRD or they wouldn't have given her a bid.
__________________
It is all 33girl's fault. ~DrPhil
Reply With Quote
  #820  
Old 08-18-2009, 12:54 AM
BabyPiNK_FL BabyPiNK_FL is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
Posts: 1,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAalum94 View Post
I think it's a little goofy to emphasize philanthropy at campuses that have a rather lackadaisical approach to philanthropy during the year.

If your chapter isn't spending a 1/4 of its time overall on philanthropy projects, why make it a 1/4 of rush?

It just seems lame to me because it's so clearly image over substance.
You're no jerk. I totally agree. My chapter is probably #1 in philanthropy events and donations on my campus, while some of the other chapters barely do anything, either way philanthropy night tends to be a bit boring for PNMs. They may SAY they like it, but only b/c Panhellenic does emphasize it and the chapters too because it's supposed to be an appealing aspect. However, I tend to think most PNMs' main focus lies elsewhere (ex. looks, popularity, the "fun" chapter), at least on my campus. I do wish we could think of something that's not skits or philanthropy to replace that day with.


In response to the woman who thought it was weird to have a 30 year old: my "auntie" (my big's sibling) was about 30 when she pledged, with a tween daughter. It would be less likely to happen now than it was back then, but she was and still is an amazing sister and I am so happy that she is!
__________________
I am not my hair. I am not this skin . I am the soul that lives within.
Reply With Quote
  #821  
Old 08-18-2009, 05:28 PM
phimusam phimusam is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 60
When I was a collegiate, we had a young widow come through rush - her husband had been an Air Force pilot. She was a real lady and we really wanted her, but she decided not to pledge.
Reply With Quote
  #822  
Old 08-18-2009, 07:10 PM
Zillini Zillini is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Heart of Dixie
Posts: 1,011
We had a PNM who told our active "This is a big waste of time. I'm going to be an XYZ. Can I just go outside and wait until the party is over?" Needless to say we released her. I looked her up and she did get a bid, but not to XYZ. Guess she didn't say that to all the other Chapters.
Reply With Quote
  #823  
Old 08-19-2009, 06:20 PM
born2bdphie born2bdphie is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 14
I forgot about this one-- i was a weird pnm once! When i was COBing DPhiE I showed up an hour and a half early to the second party of the week because I mixed up the times. When I got to the house the door was locked and no one was around. I kinda hung around outside in the middle of the greek lawn for a bit, until a sister came home from class and asked me what i was doing there. When they realized I was rushing, they kind of freaked out, because obviously nothing was ready yet. I felt so bad i even offered to help them set up decorations... they must of thought I was so strange.... yet here I am!
Reply With Quote
  #824  
Old 08-20-2009, 03:08 AM
Jill1228's Avatar
Jill1228 Jill1228 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Hoping the freaking BATSH*T psychos would disappear
Posts: 7,160
Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillini View Post
We had a PNM who told our active "This is a big waste of time. I'm going to be an XYZ. Can I just go outside and wait until the party is over?" Needless to say we released her. I looked her up and she did get a bid, but not to XYZ. Guess she didn't say that to all the other Chapters.
Y'all had restraint! I would have told her not to let the door hit her in her rude pretentious ass on the way out! What a biatch!
__________________
"OP, you have 99 problems, but a sorority ain't one"-Alumiyum
Reply With Quote
  #825  
Old 08-26-2009, 04:11 PM
AOEforme AOEforme is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: With Germs and a Lack of Sleep
Posts: 998
Not really a recruitment story, but it does help to reiterate the "Be Discrete" idea:

Some dorms in Madison opened yesterday so the incoming freshmen are beginning to move in... and enjoy their freedom from Mom and Dad.

As I was leaving my house, I ran into some XYZ friends in front of their chapter house. As we're chatting, a very (very) intoxicated young lady runs up to us and asks if we are in XYZ. My two friends nodded (They really didn't want to start a conversation- HELLO, period of silence rule). The girl proceeds to squeal and yells "I'm going to be your sister soon! I'm rushing only for you guys!"

Classy!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.