GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,306
1 members and 1,305 guests
speedsters

Old 08-06-2011, 08:43 AM
GreekChat Member

I think the small stories are as inspirational as the "big" stories. God willing, most of us will not have to deal with a major illness or calamity. ALL of us will have the stresses and strains of everyday life with which to deal. Sisterhood supports, strengthens and enables us to live out our creeds. Not only do we get to receive, but we get to give to our sisters. Being able to help a sister is a privilege.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:04 AM
GreekChat Member

I've told this one before, but a week before I was heading back to school for my sophomore year, I got a really, really bad haircut - so short that there was no fixing it.

I was terrified to have to come back for pre-rush, and just positive that they were going to ask me not to participate in recruitment.

To make matters worse, my big sister, who was also my roommate, was a Rho Chi that year, so I didn't have her to lean on. The day I got back, I just unpacked my room and cried myself to sleep.

Well, the next morning, nobody said an unkind word. We got to work, and two older sisters sort of took me under their wing.

They were seniors - both gorgeous, incredibly cool and funny. I remember we had a break one night for dinner, and we piled into one of their cars to go to, probably Chili's or something, laughing singing to music and the window down blowing what hair I had left.

It's one of those memories that's etched in my mind, and if you ask me what sisterhood is, I think of that night immediately.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:22 AM
GreekChat Member

I went through recruitment this past January and pledged. I still wasn't completely sure about whether Sorority life was for me, but I wanted to give it a shot.
(Now to interject, I have a chronic medical condition and I'm in and out of the hospital more than most people...) I started not feeling great a couple of days before spring break, but I was about to fly home so I brushed it off, and felt that I would rather be in the hospital at home. I pushed through most of spring break, but I ended up being admitted to Children's in Boston the day before I was supposed to be flying back to Witt--and 4 days before I was supposed to be initiated. I told our VP of member education and the President of our chapter (who is also my boss in my on-campus job), as well as mentioned a few things on facebook, and the outpour of support from my KD sisters that followed proved to me that I definitely was in the right place. I got texts, facebook messages, and phone calls from so many of my sisters, even though they were 800 miles away. And when I got back, a sister who I hadn't been particularly close to picked me up at the airport, and we talked the entire drive home. (It was revealed, later that day, that she was my big!!)

And when I finally had my initiation, it was the most special and amazing day of my life.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVU alpha phi View Post
Bumping this thread because I was on facebook today and came across something I thought was really nice. A girl I've met once through mutual friends (she goes to another school) had her father pass away on Christmas Day. She was a KD at another school (transferred out of that school) and her boyfriend is a DTD at her current school. She had facebook pictures up of the flowers various people had sent for her father and she had several bouquets from KD (the chapter she is no longer a part of) and her boyfriend's chapter of DTD. I thought it was really nice that the chapters took the time to send her family flowers during this difficult time.

I especially thought it was sweet of her boyfriend's chapter to send flowers- I might mention that they are at a school in the deep south, and I think it's just a great example of southern manners. I can think of a select few fraternity chapters at my school that I think would do something like that.

I can't sleep so i've been up reading these stories because they always make me happier when i've had a bad day. But, I know exactly who you are talking about!! I love her to death!! She's coming to visit this weekend!!
TFJ <3*
Old 09-08-2011, 02:43 AM
GreekChat Member

This is precious I have three big stories about my Theta experience.

My very first one was during recruitment I had two recruitment counselors, and one of them was just the coolest girl I've ever met. She knew what she was doing, she meant business, she was funny and sweet, down-to-earth and just awesome. ALL throughout recruitment I thought, "Man, I wish I knew what sorority she's in. I want sisters like that." Well, on bid day, she ran home to Theta, and now she's my big.

Second one, well, requires some background info. My ex and I started dating halfway through my senior year of high school, and we dated long-distance my freshman year of college. After that year and I transferred to a school back in my home town (not for him, I promise!) but the whole summer after I came back, things were just terrible. We were a wreck and just kept putting off breaking up. We would "take breaks" and stuff, and it was really emotionally draining... Anywho. We ended up calling it quits in October, almost two years into our relationship, the night before my initiation into Theta. I woke up and didn't want to get out of bed, but knowing my future sisters were eager to see me, I got up and went. I walked in and hadn't told anyone about the break-up (and it wasn't all over facebook) and those women surrounded me with so much love and kindness, and they had no idea what I was going through. Just seeing them that day and being around them made me feel a million times better. I was such a mess. But when I learned the meaning of our letters, I knew it would be okay. I knew I would survive. And I made my first steps towards moving on that very day, surrounded by my wonderful sisters and friends.

Third one is from this recruitment, just this past weekend. My current boyfriend was deployed early on the morning of Pref night, so all weekend I was a hot mess. I was tired, angry, sad, just really down. Since I'm on ERB, I got to spend a lot of time with our Membership Adviser, our Advisory Board Director, and the most incredible ELC. Being with them and the rest of ERB all weekend really re-affirmed all of the love I have for Theta. Hearing them talk about what it takes to be a member, to be a good sister to others, how incredible our sisterhood is nationally, it really drove it home for me. Not to mention they all saved me from myself and let me have the time I needed with my boyfriend before he left, and kept me too busy to wallow the couple days after.

I've never been more certain that becoming a Theta has changed my life so much more than I'll ever know. SO proud to be a Theta.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:05 AM
GreekChat Member

When Andy Jr. was born, we had a rough start with things. He was discharged late and then admitted in the children's hospital. I had my own complications from birth and was in and out of the hospital and received 2 blood transfusions. I try not to complain on Facebook, but had made a general comment on my status that caused the VP of our Alumnae Chapter to give me a call to find out how I was doing. After I told her what was going on, she got a bunch of sisters together to cook casseroles and 3 of them came down to visit and filled my freezer and brought gifts. My husband and I were so grateful!
Old 09-08-2011, 09:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to WVU alpha phi
Quote:
Originally Posted by AXiD.in.pearls View Post
I can't sleep so i've been up reading these stories because they always make me happier when i've had a bad day. But, I know exactly who you are talking about!! I love her to death!! She's coming to visit this weekend!!
That's crazy - such a small world!!
Old 11-27-2011, 06:22 PM
GreekChat Member

BUMP for gratitude.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Every time this thread gets bumped I am compelled to read it in it's entirety.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Advisor's train on how to deal with the hard stuff in official training sessions or by learning the hands on way. I've gotten my fair share of o'dark thirty phone calls (thankfully nothing too bad), but I've never been trained on how to deal with a death impacting a chapter member.

A few weeks ago I arrived early for chapter when I received a call from one of my girls to meet her outside. I could hear the tears in her voice and this woman does NOT cry! I was met outside by her parents (who I'd met a number of times). They had picked up their daughter from the house a short time before and broke the news that her brother had died. She had decided to stay at school and in the house with her sisters and she/parents called me to bring her inside. I don't have kids (though sometimes I feel like I have 25 daughters), but it must have been incredibly hard for her parents to watch her walk away and into the building.

What I saw next was the most moving few moments I've ever seen in my sorority experience. With everyone seated for chapter she shared the sad news. She got to a stopping point and before she could take a breath every girl in that room had stood up and run to her. They held her in a giant 20+ person hug for almost 10 minutes without uttering a sound, except their collective tears.

Her parents questioned her about staying and I questioned her about staying too, but she knew what she needed. She needed her sisters around her. I was told later that everyone in the house ate dinner in her bedroom and we all kept a close watch over her until she went home that Friday. The sisterhood I saw that night was incredible.

Last edited by AXiDTrish; 11-27-2011 at 08:33 PM. Reason: typos
Old 11-27-2011, 08:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Crying tears of sadness, but also happiness and pride at the sisterhood showing through, AXiDTrish.

I had some really bad stuff happen to me at the end of this spring. One of my sisters sat with me for at least 30 minutes and let me cry on her shoulder and talked me though the pain. I am so grateful to her for that.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:02 PM
GreekChat Member

So to preface this story, I broke up with my boyfriend of 2.5 years last May. This year in October I believe I was flipping through facebook (I'm no longer friends with my ex but he isn't blocked) and I saw he commented on something so I clicked on his profile. Big mistake. His profile picture was him and his new girlfriend (who he was "friends" with the whole time he was abroad and started dating basically the minute we stopped dating) holding hands in the country he was working in. It also seemed that it was recent because his hair was different than it had been while he was there.

I lost it. I knew that they were official and all but to see living proof of it killed me. Though I technically broke up with him I still had feelings for him (we had talked very seriously about engagement before breaking up, he'd looked at rings and told me about it) it hit me like a freight train to see that picture. I also had no idea that he'd been back to visit her, which made the situation that much more serious for the two of them. I immediately started to tear up, but I was trying to hold back because my roommate was in the room, and later a good friend of mine. It wasn't until a third friend came into the room that I let my facade slip a little and the third friend asked me what was wrong. I lost it. Started uncontrollably bawling, incoherent, the whole bit. See for me with painful memories I often hold in my feelings until they explode, so I hadn't thought about it in a long time, and I was not yet healed about it.

My sisters didn't say anything. They just climbed into my bed and held me as I tried to explain what they already knew. My second sister told me that she knew I was holding it in a lot and that I needed to let it out more, that it was okay, that it was really hard what had happened. When I was able to breathe again I thanked them, but they said for what because I'd been there for them at different times for different things. They told me they loved me and just rubbed my back until I stopped crying. If you ask me what sisterhood is, this is what I think about. The women that are there for you, not just when something hard happens, but even in the long months thereafter when the pain is still there and other people have stopped caring. It's why I've stuck with this for as long as I have and it's what I think of when times are hard.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:56 PM
GreekChat Member

BUMP - just 'cause.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Recently, I had to undergo a fairly extensive and emotional medical procedure/operation. Not only did I receive an incredible amount of support from my sisters through phone/text/messages, one sister who I am very close to actually drove an hour to get me, drove an hour to the doctors, then drove the 2 hours home multiple times to bring me to the doctor's appointments, because neither of my parents could do it.

She never asked for gas or any reimbursement whatsoever, and would even come over on nights where I wasn't feeling well physically, just to be with me and watch stupid youtube videos together. Her selflessness and generosity made the process a million times easier, and I'm so glad I met her through my sorority
Old 06-15-2012, 10:43 PM
GreekChat Member

This is truly the best thread on GC