GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,400
0 members and 1,400 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 08:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: campuses/campi

Quote:
Originally posted by Erik P Conard
English is constantly in change. The language has undergone a
lot of change thru radio and standardization of certain words. The
campi one I had never heard of as pretentious but sometimes used instead of campuses. I use both. I have studied Latin and
have a good romance language background. There are a goodly
number of English words from Latin and we constantly mix up the
singular with the plural...like criterion, criteria; datum, data, and
so on. However, the usage of the Latin amongst educated folk
may not necessarily be "elitist," or "snobbish" and frequently the
critics of such have unlikely darkened a foreign language classroom. We go to college to somewhat upgrade ourselves,
and if that be objectionable, take a look at yourself.
Campuses and campi are both acceptable, in my opinion. But if
you do not understand the differences, don't use 'em, hoss.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Universitätscampus Wien, Austria (details)Campus (plural: campi) is Latin for "field" or "open space". English gets the words "camp" and "campus" from this origin. In English, the plural form campuses is commonly used.

Now I can stop thinking that you and Tom are strange. Well, not completely.

Last edited by DSTCHAOS; 02-17-2006 at 08:18 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-17-2006, 08:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: jubilance

Quote:
Originally posted by preciousjeni
I was looking it up and found this to be interesting:

http://www.earlygirl.com/vi021804.shtml

See also: http://dacnet.rice.edu/projects/ling...dex=37&Type=II
Very interesting, indeed. Thanks!!!

The older Sorors always tried to correct us and say that "alumnae" is pronounced "alum-knee." I guess they were wrong. HA!
Old 02-17-2006, 08:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink Don't let me make this a Howard vs Morehouse thang

I don't know about all of this stuff on Howard's campus. The whole concept still looks shady to me and it has more to do with money than it has to do with brotherhood... In fact it reeks with filthy money.

I asked my husband, a bonafide Morehouse man, as was his father and his brother, about a predominantly, historical caucasian fraternity colonizing (still interesting terminology here) the Morehouse campus and he basically found it laughable and discredited it.

Now my husband is the biggest GDI I have ever seen. He hates all GLO's on a college campus and he sees no reason to have alumni chapters. Forget the fact he married me, a fully above ground pledged member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., from Spelman College, a legacy and her father, as well as her grandfather were men of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. Moreover having an uncle, a cousin and godfather who is very famous, members of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc. So my indoctrination was in my blood. But my husband very much thinks he has the Morehouse Man Mystique. And that is how they educated the men of Morehouse versus say, Howard ...

But hey, what can you say about the school that educated Martin Luther King Jr. et al., and the kind of education they want the young African American men to have?

Either way, it will be interesting...

As far as my alma mater, Spelman, I can foresee a MCGLO or even a NPC sorority coming on my campus. I do not see either large organizations joining Clark Atlanta University's campus... I don't know? But I think the Rockafeller's may engender a NPC sorority becoming a part of my campus. Would folks at my school be pissed off? Probably some. However, the history of Spelman was those old caucasian ladies that were the presidents in the late 19th, early 20th centuries did not want any kind of sorority on the campus for a long time until they allowed Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. Eta Kappa chapter to be chartered--I think it was 1953? (Sorry DST ladies, you cannot pledge me now... )

I think the issue for some folks is that many of the "Alpha chapters" (the first chapters) for most of the D9 organizations were founded on Howard's campus. That is what is making some folks upset...

But folks will join what they think they identify with and whatever floats their boat... Hope they find happiness and joy with their own conclusions.

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana

Last edited by AKA_Monet; 02-17-2006 at 08:53 PM.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:53 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: the clause--

Quote:
Originally posted by DSTCHAOS
Please don't use this thread as preparation for your midterm exam.

Unless you are going to go the extra step and make the logical connection to this thread topic explicit, spare us (especially those of us who have devoted a CAREER to race and ethnic relations, among other things) the history lesson.
I don't have any exams coming up, but thanks, furthermore, I was commenting on something that was said......which concerned an entire race of people that supposedly werent considered a person at one point. I don't care what you have made a career of, I can hold a conversation with you on this topic, it wouldn't be difficult. some of their problems may have been caused by their own actions, thats all I was trying to say.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: the clause--

Quote:
Originally posted by saetex
some of their problems may have been caused by their own actions, thats all I was trying to say.
I know what your post was trying to get at. I am just waiting for you to tell us how this is really a response to what Jubilance was saying. Make the connection explicit if you can.

Last edited by DSTCHAOS; 02-17-2006 at 09:09 PM.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:19 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: the clause--

Quote:
I know what your post was trying to get at. I am just waiting for you to tell us how this is really a response to what Jubilance was saying. Make the connection explicit if you can.
she was speaking for an entire group of people that she thinks went through those problems, when in actuality it was more like a specific group of blacks that endured the worst of it. i understand why they are upset, but I don't see why they should blame every part of their troubles on the white man and what they did forty and fifty years ago. some of their problems stemmed from the fact that they had no unity or resolve between their upper and lower class.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:19 PM
GreekChat Member

>>I'm a Phi Psi. I founded my chapter at DePaul university 15 years ago and I'm a 34 year old Black Man. I'm an appointed member of my fraternity's national Executive Council and one day I will probbaly be on the short list to become President. I teach at our leadership academies and our leadership school. I can speak to exactly what it's like to be 1 man on an island. I took crap from the black kids in school for selling out and from the white kids for "trying to be white." until I told them why - i believed in what Phi Kappa Psi was telling me - just like you all did when you joined whatever group you joined. you bought it - you drank the kool aid and said, give me some letters.

I am the only male member of my family that's college educated and not an Alpha. I did that becuase I wanted to start something as opposed to join anything - i'm not a joiner; im a leader. <<

Originally posted by PKPILZ003

Is the chapter still active and is it predominately white? I guess I was suprised that Howard had enough white men to start a chapter of a predominately white fraternity. I know the chapter will be mixed but I just can't imagine a predominately white fraternity having a black chapter
Old 02-17-2006, 09:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by PKPILZ003
OK, we've gotten the history lesson on where HBGLO's got there start and we see where many people stand on this (Congrats on APhiA and their 100 years this year.. we've also beaten the "whites only clause" issue to death as well. Here's my 2 cents on the issue.

I'm a Phi Psi. I founded my chapter at DePaul university 15 years ago and I'm a 34 year old Black Man. I'm an appointed member of my fraternity's national Executive Council and one day I will probbaly be on the short list to become President. I teach at our leadership academies and our leadership school. I can speak to exactly what it's like to be 1 man on an island. I took crap from the black kids in school for selling out and from the white kids for "trying to be white." until I told them why - i believed in what Phi Kappa Psi was telling me - just like you all did when you joined whatever group you joined. you bought it - you drank the kool aid and said, give me some letters.

I am the only male member of my family that's college educated and not an Alpha. I did that becuase I wanted to start something as opposed to join anything - i'm not a joiner; im a leader. I hope the guys they get for Pike are that way as well. At my fraternity's last 2 national conventions, i suggested that we do what Pike has now done. What saddens me is that when a predominetely white group comes on a black campus (Sigma Pi did the same thing at Middle tennessee state a few years back) the campus fights back instead of accepting that competition breeds grouwth for all. Not everyone at Howard fits the mold of the D9 - so they needed something else - I'm only upset that the something else isn't Green and Red.

To my Greek Brothers and Sisters at Howard - just becuase someone was an ass before doesn't mean they are still an ass-yeah, they were racist back in the day - every white group was, either with or without "the clause"; but give them a chance and see how they help the fabric of your campus before your castigate them for it.

Thank You Sir for Your Post!

Howard Un. is not the first HBC College that has had non Divine 9 GLOs come to a campus.

It is the change of life that is coming across the land and it should be expected. But one of the disturbing things is that while some yell Racist and Segregation on threads, they are the ones who are complaining the most when it comes to a situation such as this.

If this thought isnt changed, then why should others change?

It has happened and will happen again. None of the ranting and raving will not change what is happening.

The reason LXA, PKA and others went to "HPC" Campuses, is because people wanted them there period. Oh, What People, The ones who petitioned them.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 02-17-2006, 10:03 PM
GreekChat Member

"they"

"those people"
Old 02-17-2006, 10:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by starang21
"they"

"those people"
You dont act like You even have a clue?

So, where do You keep Your Naval Lint?

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 02-17-2006, 10:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Earp
You dont act like You even have a clue?

So, where do You keep Your Naval Lint?
uhh, shut up twit.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: jubilance

Quote:
Very interesting, indeed. Thanks!!!

The older Sorors always tried to correct us and say that "alumnae" is pronounced "alum-knee." I guess they were wrong. HA!
And PNP President Mona Bailey got the pronounciation from a college Latin Professor, so go figure. Anyway, per our P&T Manual we pronounce it to rhyme with gum tree - LOL
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 02-17-2006, 10:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jitterbug13 Send a message via Yahoo to jitterbug13
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: jubilance

Quote:
Originally posted by ladygreek
And PNP President Mona Bailey got the pronounciation from a college Latin Professor, so go figure. Anyway, per our P&T Manual we pronounce it to rhyme with gum tree - LOL
LOL!!!! How come I heard that so much during MIP!!

Carry on...

"I'd rather be hated for what I am than loved for what I'm not."--Kanye West

"Black is the new President."--Tracey Morgan
Old 02-17-2006, 11:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by starang21
uhh, shut up twit.
WOW, I am Impressed!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 02-18-2006, 12:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: the clause--

Quote:
she was speaking for an entire group of people that she thinks went through those problems, when in actuality it was more like a specific group of blacks that endured the worst of it.
This is a huge thread hijack.

In actuality, the within-group division of blacks does not negate the overall struggle of blacks (or the fact that the social structure only provided equal access to upper class blacks in certain contexts) which is why I was asking you why the distinction you made is important for the present discussion. While upper social class can buffer some of the negative effects of racism and discrimination, we aren't debating William Julius Wilson's "declining significance of race" in this thread.

The fact that the middle and upper class blacks were some of the more CREDITED individuals at the forefront of the Civil Rights Movement (meaning, they were the ones given the most credit, which doesn't mean they were the most profilic or that they were doing the grunt of the work without the help of the "lower classes") means that the struggle for equality goes past social class boundaries. It did then as it does now.

In fact, a case has been made in the literature that middle to upper class blacks dealt with racism and discrimination more frequently (while it may not have taken the form of dogs and firehoses, "enduring the most" is a matter of comparing within-group struggles---not a fruitful endeavor) because they mingled in white social, economic, and educational networks more often. This gave them greater opportunity to be singled out whereas lower class blacks were isolated and segregated into lower income and racially homogenous communities (then and now). Of course, you should also know that many black communities have also been a mixture of lower class blacks and middle class blacks living next door to one another--not much class divide in that regard.

Quote:
i understand why they are upset, but I don't see why they should blame every part of their troubles on the white man and what they did forty and fifty years ago. some of their problems stemmed from the fact that they had no unity or resolve between their upper and lower class.
Do you really understand? If you truly did, you would not be on this tangent and you wouldn't think that Blacks (as a whole) blamed every part of their troubles on white man. The "don't blame us" argument has been made for decades. As I said in a previous post, it is NOT about "us" versus "them." It isn't about the "white man." We are talking about structural and cultural issues here. If people in this country are too sensitive and paranoid to detach their PERSONAL issues from the topic of racial stratification and discrimination, they need to leave the discussion to those of us who can. If some whites (or blacks, or Hispanics, or Asians) think everyone's pointing the finger at them and theirs, it's best that they watch from the sidelines.

As far as where some of "their" problems stemmed from, I am still asking you what that has to do with the general topic of discriminatory practices. Black people know about class division then and now. Black people also know that you can be a physician with a mansion and a BMW, but still get watched when you go to a department store because of the color of your skin. So, while there is a degree of disconnect between the social classes, there will ALWAYS be (and always has been) a connection between the social classes and a shared struggle.

Last edited by DSTCHAOS; 02-18-2006 at 12:08 AM.
Closed Thread