GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,482
0 members and 1,482 guests
No Members online

Old 04-25-2011, 05:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Informal Rush Ideas

For this upcoming fall semester, IFC has voted to have informal rush instead of the usual formal rush. They haven't given all the details, but it's basically like formal rush just informal. Does anybody have any ideas of like recruiting events to do? And I guess do keep in mind, an IFC exec has to be at these events.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-25-2011, 10:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIJIReezy21 View Post
For this upcoming fall semester, IFC has voted to have informal rush instead of the usual formal rush. They haven't given all the details, but it's basically like formal rush just informal. Does anybody have any ideas of like recruiting events to do? And I guess do keep in mind, an IFC exec has to be at these events.
Loyola Chicago's IFC holds fall rush as informal/formal hybrid.

Each group will have one individual night where an IFC rep will be present at the rush event. Every other event, though, is completely up to the chapters to do. Bids can only go out after a certain time the day after the last group has their individual night.

When I was an active, my group did a poker/cigar night, BBQ, hookah, and some others (which I can't think of at the moment). One group held a pig roast and another held a crawfish boil (in Chicago...). Every group also held unofficial parties with booze.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

And that's another thing, we're not allowed to have alcohol at any of the recruiting events. However if you ever were to have like an unofficial after party, how would you go about telling people about cuz if we get in trouble then we get a rush infraction & possibly lose out on doing recruitment events
Old 04-25-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
And that's another thing, we're not allowed to have alcohol at any of the recruiting events. However if you ever were to have like an unofficial after party, how would you go about telling people about cuz if we get in trouble then we get a rush infraction & possibly lose out on doing recruitment events
You could also get into huge trouble with your national office.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 04-25-2011, 09:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
We don't have any Greek housing at Loyola (except one group who is currently suspended by the university...). So we held parties in off campus apartments. None of the groups ever advertised these parties as being part of rush (there were no flyers advertisng it, everything is word of mouth at Loyola), but it always happened.

Groups would hold parties before rush started and then one during rush after the groups met some key PNMs they wanted. Then they'd call up the PNMs and invite them with a "hey, my friend is having a party on saturday, you and your friends should come" or something similar to that. Note: All of the groups always had sober brothers there to make sure nothing bad went down. So while these were unofficial events, all groups took precaution.

I'll boiler plate this by saying that yes, you may get into trouble with these. Technically, any dwelling where more than one member of the same fraternity resides could be considered a 'fraternity house.' So if you and one of your brothers lived with 2 other non-affiliated people, your place could technically be classified as a fraternity house (This is how it was explained to us by our national org). If something bad were to happen, your group would be toast and get targeted.

I'll also add that I think due to Loyola being located in a major city and the fact Loyola only got a serious Greek Life advisor two years ago is why these parties occur. If you go to a school in the middle of nowhere, it would be pretty hard to pull this off without having a high potential of getting into trouble. None of our groups ever got 'turned in' since every other group (and club sports teams) had these parties.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:10 PM
GreekChat Member

OK, so do you have any ideas of some recruiting events that are cheap that you could recommend? And where do you think are some places we could just find recruits just out of the blue?
Old 05-16-2011, 08:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
OK, so do you have any ideas of some recruiting events that are cheap that you could recommend? And where do you think are some places we could just find recruits just out of the blue?
What type of guys are you looking for? If you want athletes hang out at the gym. If you want to boost your GPA hang out at the library. You get the idea.

You can do a search here to find some event ideas, but generally you should be doing small things to meet potential members well before and after rush week is over. Visit the Phired Up blog for more tips and ideas.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Whats an IFC formal rush like? We only have informal