GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Gamma > Gamma Phi Beta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,390
Threads: 115,508
Welcome to our newest member, MichaelSix
» Online Users: 956
2 members and 954 guests
LaneSig, MichaelSix

Old 06-02-2014, 10:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
It was on Pearl Street (SO PERFECT AN ADDRESS!) and was torn down.

It was replaced by either apartments or an assisted living facility.
Ugh. Sorry about that. Was it across from the current Sig Ep House (and down the street from Theta, catty-corner from SAE?). If memory serves, that might be the only spot it could have been? When I was at UT it was the Old Main Apartments...

I just looked at Google Maps, and while I go to Austin quite a bit, I don't do the "West Campus Tour" very often. Holy Moly, Pearl street has changed...it must have been where one of those giant apt complexes is. Yowza.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-03-2014, 12:15 PM
Banned

Will Gamma Phi Beta re-colonize at Vermont?
Old 06-03-2014, 12:18 PM
Banned

The U. of Vermont lost a lot of its fraternities after 1970- Theta Chi, Sigma Nu, ATO, SAE, Sig Ep, Acacia and others. Any plans for re-colonizing at Vermont?
Old 06-03-2014, 12:34 PM
GreekChat Member

While I am sure we would love to be back at the University of Vermont, first it 1.) has to be open for expansion and 2.) has to select us to present and then 3.) chose us over all the other sororities that were chosen to present.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Bumping this thread because....

1) Beta is back!
2) We're presenting at the University of Florida tomorrow!
Old 10-21-2014, 01:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCLAblondeGPhiB View Post
I am OBSESSED with the idea of colonizing/recolonizing more chapters!! When I'm an alum, I would love to help fund and work with expansion efforts.

I think MORE CHAPTERS IN THE SOUTH would help us soooooo much with our international reputation! But since I'm in California, I would like to see a couple more CA/west coast chapters, too.

West Coast:
-Stanford (recolonize)

-University of CA-San Diego (we have such a strong rep. in SD with our USD and SDSU chapters being sooo strong, that even the UCSD greek system is impressed by Gamma Phis; I think we would have an easier time of establishing a strong base there than at most schools)

-University of CA-Davis (just because)

-University of Nevada-Las Vegas

-CSU-Northridge

SOUTH:
Alabama:
-U of South Alabama
-Birmingham-Southern College
-Troy State U.

Arkansas:
-Arkansas State U.
-U. of Arkansas-Fayetteville

Florida:
-U of Florida!!! (they have something like 20 sororities, why not us?)
-U of South Florida
-U of Central Florida

-U of West Florida

Georgia:
-Valdosta State
-Mercer U.
-West Georgia College

Indiana:
-Depauw U.

Kentucky:
-U. of Kentucky
-U. of Louisville
-Western Kentucky U.
-Eastern Kentucky U.

Louisiana:
-Louisiana State U.

Mississippi:
-U of Miss.
-Miss. State U.
-University of Southern Miss.

North Carolina:
-U. of NC-Chapel Hill
-Duke University
-Wake Forest U.
-High Point U.
-North Carolina State

Oklahoma:
-U. of Tulsa

South Carolina:
-College of Charlston
-Wofford U.
-Furman U.

Tennessee:
-Vanderbilt
-U. of Memphis
-U. of Tenn.-Knoxville
-U. of Tenn.-Chattanooga
-Union U.

TEXAS:
-Baylor U.
-U. of Texas-Austin
-Texas Tech.
-U. of Texas-Dallas
-Texas Christian U.

Virginia:
-William & Lee
-Virginia Tech.
-Longwood U.
-Randolph-Macon

West Virginia:
-West Virginia U.

If we got those chapters up and running, I'd be a happy camper

Also, more chapters at the more prestigious universities that have Greek Systems, like:
-Brown
-Columbia
-Cornell
-Dartmouth
-Duke
-Emory
-Tufts
-Tulane
-U Penn
Bolded are places where we are now present. Someone correct me if I missed anything.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:57 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm super nervous and excited about Truman State. Of course, I'm excited about all our upcoming presentations (four in the next two and a half weeks, which is AMAZING), but Truman is my alma mater. I would so very much love to have Gamma Phi Beta there.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

In Virginia, it's Washington & Lee, not William & Lee. My daughter and her friends are always laughing about how people can't get the name of the school straight. A former International President told me at Convention that she's always wanted to have a chapter at W&L, but I personally don't think that campus will ever be able to support another sorority...with only 1800 students, and 6 sororities on campus, and 80% of the campus being Greek, there just aren't enough women to support another chapter. The current sorority row is also full...room could probably be made for another chapter house if needed, but it would take moving a campus road and a parking lot.

Last edited by Sciencewoman; 10-22-2014 at 03:52 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:29 PM
GreekChat Member

It's not on UCLAblondeGPhiB's list; but, I have California State University San Marcos on my list. We have such strong chapters at San Diego State University and the University of San Diego, I would love to see GPhiB at every campus in San Diego County.

I always thought we'd get UC San Diego first and then pick-up CSUSM; but, we were recently passed over/shut-out at UCSD. Maybe if we get CSUSM, we'll have a stronger case at our next UCSD attempt. Though, do you think that having so many chapters in the area might lead the selection committees to be concerned about our ability to supply enough alumnae advisers?

True and Constant
Old 10-22-2014, 07:02 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ A few years ago, we weren't picked at Univ. of Central Oklahoma, and a CLC told me that the main reason given was that we had strong chapters at other Oklahoma universities, and there was some concern that students would join a UCO chapter and transfer (which seems a bit far-fetched to be a strong concern).
Old 10-22-2014, 10:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Pardon the craah, but in response to having several chapters in a metro area, I believe that AXO has chapters at all four principal San Diego campuses. It's not unprecedented! : )
Old 10-23-2014, 12:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinksequins View Post
Pardon the craah, but in response to having several chapters in a metro area, I believe that AXO has chapters at all four principal San Diego campuses. It's not unprecedented! : )
Yes! That is correct. Thank you for giving me some hope!

True and Constant
Old 10-24-2014, 02:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post
It's not on UCLAblondeGPhiB's list; but, I have California State University San Marcos on my list. We have such strong chapters at San Diego State University and the University of San Diego, I would love to see GPhiB at every campus in San Diego County.

I always thought we'd get UC San Diego first and then pick-up CSUSM; but, we were recently passed over/shut-out at UCSD. Maybe if we get CSUSM, we'll have a stronger case at our next UCSD attempt. Though, do you think that having so many chapters in the area might lead the selection committees to be concerned about our ability to supply enough alumnae advisers?
It seems like Alpha Phi would pose the same concern. They're at USD and SDSU, along with several Orange County schools (pretty similar to us, it looks like). It did seem like we went up against two very strong competitors for that school - a recolonization and another organization with similar strength in the region.

As for my old list (UCLA is my old handle before I forgot the password. My, don't I sound eager in that post?) - I have fingers crossed for LSU and Florida. Also, apologies about Washington and Lee.

Last edited by LAblondeGPhi; 10-24-2014 at 03:00 AM.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:38 AM
GreekChat Member

So I've been thinking, and I think my revised list of Dream Expansions can be summed up in a couple of basic criteria:

1) Any top-75 university (roughly based on U.S. News' rankings) with Greek life where we are not currently present
2) Any SEC, ACC, Big 12, or Pac 12 school that doesn't fall in the above category

By my count, there are about 50 universities in that category.