GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,428
1 members and 2,427 guests
No Members online

Old 09-30-2011, 04:20 AM
GreekChat Member

How long to respond to a bid?

You may or may not have looked at my other thread "How to impress a frat", so I guess this is the next step forward in my journey.

I'm kind of over the 'top' house 'bottom' house thing. I found two fraternity that I like. One is brand new, I would be rushing for their alpha class and they seem like nice people. The other one is well established with equally friendly people but with a greater net of social networking.

Personally, I like the older, more established fraternity better - maybe because they have more members or what not but there were literally 30-40 people rushing. I am confident in how I present myself but their rush week is a week half long, so I still have half a week to go before interviews. The other new fraternity on campus only has a week long rush week so they will be hosting interviews tomorrow.

The new fraternity is a lot less competitive and I'm fairly certain I will get a bid. The problem then is how long do I get before I need to reply to a bid? This is because I would like to hear back from the other fraternity first (which I will probably know a week later) before making the decision.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-30-2011, 01:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirain View Post
You may or may not have looked at my other thread "How to impress a frat", so I guess this is the next step forward in my journey.

I'm kind of over the 'top' house 'bottom' house thing. I found two fraternity that I like. One is brand new, I would be rushing for their alpha class and they seem like nice people. The other one is well established with equally friendly people but with a greater net of social networking.

Personally, I like the older, more established fraternity better - maybe because they have more members or what not but there were literally 30-40 people rushing. I am confident in how I present myself but their rush week is a week half long, so I still have half a week to go before interviews. The other new fraternity on campus only has a week long rush week so they will be hosting interviews tomorrow.

The new fraternity is a lot less competitive and I'm fairly certain I will get a bid. The problem then is how long do I get before I need to reply to a bid? This is because I would like to hear back from the other fraternity first (which I will probably know a week later) before making the decision.
You need to ask each chapter *their* specific requirements as to how long you may have to accept their bid. In *some* cases, that information may be given at the time the bid is formally extended. If it is not, then ask.

Also note that some schools may require a deadline for acceptance as well.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:16 PM

Is the new fraternity already chartered, or would you be a charter member? If it's the latter, please be aware that it's A LOT more work than joining an established chapter.