GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,240
3 members and 2,237 guests
Cookiez17, Pinkmagnolia921

Old 08-05-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gung-Ho-Chi-O View Post
Hi Ladies!

KSUViolet06...your random question regarding how parents deal with "Susie PNM" not pledging a certain sorority while being cut or of her own choice made another situation come to mind. By the way, I've never seen a new pledges mother behave in a upset manner & I have seen a handful that pledged where they were not in their legacy house on Bid Day & the moms were genuinely thrilled their daughters were happy :-)

I realize this is an Auburn thread so I want to be clear this sad situation I'll be describing did not occur in Auburn's greek system...it occured in my beloved Tuscaloosa. Imagine your oldest & middle daughters go through rush & both pledge the same sorority. Your daughters are a few years apart & enjoying their college experience, as well as making friends within that sorority that they will cherish for a lifetime. Now, your "baby", the third daughter, comes to Alabama will every expectation she'll be joining her sisters and she's been looking forward to it for years, hearing all the wonderful stories her sisters have shared with her.

This 3rd child of yours goes through Ice Water Teas & is suddenly, out of nowhere dropped. When you inquire with alumnae from your hometown what the problem may have been they seem as dumbfounded as you. Afterall, these were the same ladies who helped support your other daughters in their pursuit of pledging. It comes to light pretty soon that a very POWERFUL local alum who is way over-involved decided that your daughter was "too heavy" to even be considered & dropped her early on as soon as possible so she could find "a better fit" in the greek community. WHAT???

Yes, this happened & has occured more than once. I know it seems odd to read on a forum like this because I wouldn't believe it had I not seen it with my own eyes. I am a dear friend of one of the sisters & had graduated when this occured, but everyone seemed floored that this occured, especially since the girls from the house all loved the sister, the girls from the PNM's hometown were crazy about her, & she had incredible alum support from her hometown.

The PNM continued with rush, discouraged & shocked, but found her new home in a wonderful sorority. Our loss was definitely their gain! The local alum who needs to get a life is still around after decades & she typically sticks to supporting (or not supporting) her hometown girls. But, I don't doubt for a minute her nose is in everyone's business & if there's something or should I say someone she doesn't deem worthy, she will move heaven & earth to get her way.

I say all this because I thought of my friends parents while reading the question on moms & how they handle their emotions. Imagine the class it took to be her parents, show up on Bid Day to your youngest daughter's new sorority house, all the while your middle daughter is all upset & angry at her house which is in close proximity to her baby sisters house. Now, I wasn't there, but I know this alum & she never misses a Bid Day. She stands outside all day hugging the "new babies" she's approved of. I am more than sure my friend parents saw her numerous times that day although I never asked because I tried to listen & not ask questions. The situation was stressful & I didn't want to upset my friend. I am sure they held their heads high even though I know for a fact my friends dad wanted to get her alone & just deck her!!

Sorry it I sounds like I'm ranting... it all turned out fine. I just thought people should be aware of the power some local alums have & choose to take in order to get their way...sure am glad "Miss Perfect" approved of me when I went through rush :-)
Oh my word.

I work with chapters on recruitment in my volunteer position and I can tell you right now, this would not happen on my watch. Even if I had to make a special trip to sit in on the MS session myself.

Why do collegians/other alumnae/etc. keep allowing these alumnae to manipulate MS?

Sure, this alumna might be a big money donor or something, but really, don't these larger chapters have more than one of those? Tell Helicopter Alumna to kick rocks and take her money with her.

Lakers Nation.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-05-2010, 04:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Does anyone take photos during Rush? Is there a site where others can follow along?
Old 08-05-2010, 04:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUMOMMY View Post
Does anyone take photos during Rush? Is there a site where others can follow along?
During? That would be a "helicopter mommy step back" moment, IMO.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUMOMMY View Post
There are no photos or webcams during the rush parties for you to "follow along."

You have to get updates from your daughter via text/phone/something later on.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 08-05-2010 at 04:33 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator

ksuviolet, i bet you dollars to donuts that the other alums. and certainly the collegians are terrified of the dominant alum. maybe she is a national officer or former one and/or contributes a lot of $$ to the chapter. it shouldn't be going on, but i can see how it could happen.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

Guys, there have often been photographers who take pictures during recruitment and post them online on the Panhellenic website--"Auburn Recruitment, Day 1"; Day 2; etc. Several schools do this, just like lots of camps are doing it.

Parents know that their kids probably won't be in them because of the numbers. No big deal.

Of course, there are the photographers who take pictures during recruitment at each party and you can buy them later.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Alright, y'all's recruitment is crazy!

Photographers?!
Old 08-05-2010, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

All over the place! It's big money for photographers, who come in from all over the area.

I still have pictures of myself taken at the last 3 sets of parties.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
and then there are the Auburn campus web cameras .. but they don't usually show much during recruitment

http://ocm.auburn.edu/webcams/
Old 08-05-2010, 05:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi Ladies!

33 Girl...contacting National Headquarters sounds like a great idea but when your mother was the national president of your sorority, even if it was back in the day, I guess you feel there are no limits to your power and control! I hope this type of alumna control is the exception & I'm sure it is in most chapters!
Old 08-05-2010, 06:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
All over the place! It's big money for photographers, who come in from all over the area.

I still have pictures of myself taken at the last 3 sets of parties.
I have crossed the line from respecting the differences between regional variations on traditions related to sororities and recruitment into flat out WTF.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
I have crossed the line from respecting the differences between regional variations on traditions related to sororities and recruitment into flat out WTF.
For reals...aren't there groups whose pref is part of ritual? Letting a random photographer into that, no I don't think so.

I also certainly wouldn't want everyone to be able to see all the details of our decorations, costumes etc while rush was going on. Didn't the Patriots get in trouble for doing isht like that?
Old 08-05-2010, 08:51 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
For reals...aren't there groups whose pref is part of ritual? Letting a random photographer into that, no I don't think so.
i don't see the difference between this and letting barely known non-members attend your pref. ceremony. there is no guarantee that they will join. maybe those groups don't allow photos to be made or the photographer to be in attendance during their ceremony.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:57 PM
GreekChat Member

The photographers that were at our parties came in before the rushees did and I don't remember them being there on pref. They just took the group pictures that you usually would take at any other party. And the proof sheets were only available to the members to look at and buy. Now of course this was the early 80s - I am sure that this has all changed.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Hijack/
Just read a cute book..I won't give the name because someone might read it.

Anyway these girls who went to a private school were being killed in various ways. Turns out the killer was the school headmistress who thought the girls were not acting as proper as she thought they had been taught and should have been acting..

Okay back to thread!