GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,450
0 members and 1,450 guests
No Members online

Old 03-31-2012, 09:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Do you need a kidney, lung or anything in the 12 hours...

Because I am really not liking the idea of skiing/boarding with my 7 and 10 year old nephews.
They are loud. They have NO manners. Talk more than I do...yes, it is true!
Somehow, this is payback that my brother gets for tormenting my parents.
My wicked-ass conservative Talbots wearing sister in law is not coming. Thank God!

Any ideas on how to get out of this without losing the respect of my parents let alone my inheritance are appreciated.

I will also consider a root canal for those.

My organs and tissue are standing by...
Old 03-31-2012, 09:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Lose 'em on the slopes!
Old 03-31-2012, 09:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Regarding baby showers: Yes, I think that it is distasteful to have two showers in a row for a same sex child according to etiquette rules. If it were a different sex, then it wouldn't be such a big deal. A lot of people called my cousin tacky for having a baby shower for her 5th child. But I understood--it was her first girl after four boys. She had wanted a girl for so long and her boys were old enough that she had no baby items at all so I felt that should be an exception.

The family I'm sitting for tonight decided to take all the kids to a birthday party instead of just one. Apparently, the mom throwing the party called while I was on my way and said bring everybody. So I was asked to wait in their house until they get back- then I will watch the kids when the parents go out. I am literally being paid to sit on this couch and wait for them to come home.

"My dreams have become letters." ~christiangirl
Old 03-31-2012, 09:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I am in a very scary hotel right now. I can't wait for morning to get here so I can leave!
Old 03-31-2012, 09:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
I am in a very scary hotel right now. I can't wait for morning to get here so I can leave!
Ugh, I'm sorry to hear that! What's wrong with it?
Old 03-31-2012, 09:47 PM
GreekChat Member

the shyt starter at the job is gone. let office peace reign.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Today was the mother-daughter tea I planned for the chapter. It went really well! The favors were a huge hit, and the activities were fun. My mom had a really good time, too. I'm feeling accomplished and exhausted.

MelindaWarren aka Bellatrix Lestrange
Wanna follow me on Pinterest? PM me!
"It is our choices that show who we truly are, far more than our abilities."-Albus Dumbledore
Old 03-31-2012, 10:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agzg View Post
Ugh, I'm sorry to hear that! What's wrong with it?
It's in really bad shape, some of the lightbulbs don't work, there is no Internet access as hotels.com said there is (thank goodness for tethering a smartphone.. which is working amazingly well). The carpet has visible stains, the whole place just seems beat up and run down. It's right next to the freeway and has no sound proofing. There is no alarm clock or blow dryer. A better question would be "What's right with it?" LOL.

I'm actually kind of afraid to take my socks off and walk around in my bare feet. *scary*

Last edited by AGDee; 03-31-2012 at 10:56 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
It's in really bad shape, some of the lightbulbs don't work, there is no Internet access as hotels.com said there is (thank goodness for tethering a smartphone.. which is working amazingly well). The carpet has visible stains, the whole place just seems beat up and run down. It's right next to the freeway and has no sound proofing. There is no alarm clock or blow dryer. A better question would be "What's right with it?" LOL.

I'm actually kind of afraid to take my socks off and walk around in my bare feet. *scary*
Old 04-01-2012, 01:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Regarding baby showers, I don't think it's really protocol for anyone to have their own shower! One of your friends should be suggesting it. And I could definitely see having a party or special event to honor the coming of the new baby, but more clothes, diapers, etc.? No. That just sounds greedy.

Regarding obnoxious kids, I just wouldn't do it, but then I have precious little tolerance for poorly behaved kids and no inheritance to worry about. Or you could always state ground rules in advance that you will be disciplining the kids by whatever method you deem appropriate at the time, and see if the family still wants you to take on the monsters for the day.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
TECHNICALLY you are only supposed to have a shower for the first child - and it should not be given by a family member. The way around that is to have a luncheon or tea. People still bring gifts, of course.

I personally think it's tacky to list the registry store on the invite - when you call to rsvp (AND YES, YOU CALL AND RSVP SO YOUR HOSTESS DOESN'T TEAR OUT HER HAIR) you ask your hostess.
AMEN!!!

You have a baby shower for your first child. People bring gifts - maybe a few people will bring big-ticket items like a crib, car seat, or pram (or chip in towards same) and other people will bring onesies, cloth diapers, dolls or stuffed animals, receiving blankets, etc.

When you have a second child, it's ok to have a get-together, but not a shower. You already have the freaking crib, car seat, pram, etc. Your close friends will gift you some new toys, onesies, etc., particularly if you are expecting a baby of the other sex (although I am not a big fan of the "certain toys are for girls, other toys are for boys" idea and always gave books as gifts to my friends when I was a child ... but I digress) and maybe your other friends will be kind enough to give a gift or some $. But like I said, you already have the essentials. An exception is possible if you're having your second child on the heels of the first, or if your second child turns out to be twins so you suddenly need two cribs etc.

I always knit a baby blanket for my close friends' first children. Thus far, I have knitted three: one for a sorority sister who has only one child (and two stillbirths since ), one for a couple we've lost touch with, and one for our current next-door neighbors. My sister's daughter kept her blankie in her pram, and later in her stroller. Now I think they use it as a small throw blanket. I think she just turned 10 - note to self: send card.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Thinks that I have the most incredible boyfriend in the world...

Okay, so I have had two sake rounds, one Irish Coffee and a Stoles.

He understood when I made up may mind that I did not want to ski/board with my family tomorrow and my brother's screaming 7 and 10 year old boys. He got me! i I expected him to call my bluff and suck it up and go spend time with them because they are here only very few times. He agreed that because I am not happy with them while they are here, to why bother. I am not happy and it is not worth it. I started to cry and he stayed longer. He is trying to stay out it but I get that he got out of it on how I felt. I really expected him to tell me to suck it up and deal with it. But, he did it. He was so so supportive. I AM AMAZED!!!
Now, I really wish that my brother would appreciate me for all that I am; all the friends that I have and all that I bring to this world. It really hurts a lot. I wish that he could see me for all that I am all that I do for kids. It sucks REALLY bad. My boyfriend got that tonight. My Dad offered me to tell my brother on why I did not want to spend time with them tomorrow instead of my father getting in the middle. I get my father's comments. I declined his opportunity to speak to my brother. I was just not up for it.

These are the same kids that my brother will not discipline unless he sees them behaving badly. They can smart off to me and my father al they want but my brother will not do jack shit unless he sees it himself. Like we make this shit up.

Last edited by BAckbOwlsgIrl; 04-01-2012 at 01:52 AM.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
The constant sadness and frustration I hear in your voice just kills me. I want to do everything to make it better but I can't do a thing. It sucks... Hang in there...less than 3 months...
Old 04-01-2012, 03:39 AM

i hate boys...they are pointless and dont know when to go away.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Those children wore me OUT. The 4yo had a full out tantrum when I told him to shut off the TV and take a bath. First, he ran to his room and locked the door. I have never raised my voice to these children before but my tone let him know I was NOT PLAYING--he opened it so fast he almost hit himself with it. He was screaming about that doggone TV so I knelt right down to his eye level and I told him he had two choices: he could keep yelling at me and go straight to bed or take his bath and I would read a story before bed. Either way, it was 5 minutes before bedtime so no more TV.

He kicked me, sloshed half the bathwater onto the floor, and tried to rip down the shower curtain. I kept reminding myself that I'm a mandated reporter and it would be a trip to have to call CPS on myself.

Within minutes, he was in pj's and in bed. 30 seconds later, he was asleep. It will likely take a few more times before he figures out that I don't buckle. I'm still new-ish so he's testing me but Jesus be a Super Nanny.

"My dreams have become letters." ~christiangirl