GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,425
1 members and 1,424 guests
Titchou

Old 05-10-2001, 02:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Sororities/Fraternities represented positively in books, mags, songs, TV, etc.

Hello! Do you know of any sororities/fraternities which are represented positively in entertainment/everyday things? For example, yesterday I was reading A Streetcar Named Desire (which is an AWESOME tragic play...I love it so much that I put some of the quotes in my sig!) for English class. One of the female characters, Blanche, mentions that in college she wore Shep Huntleigh's (an old lover) ATO pin in her senior year. So I guess the author, Tennessee Williams, was an Alpha Tau Omega??

So...has your sorority/fraternity been mentioned before? I know that Kappa is represented by the Campbell's soup can (fleur-de-lis (sp?)), and that Pi Phi is represented by Wrigley's gum!! I have also heard some rumor about a sorority being represented on the moon???!!! Something like Neil Armstrong's wife was a XYZ (forgot which sorority), and that he left a symbol of XYZ on the moon!

------------------
"You know what luck is? Luck is believing you're lucky, that's all...To hold a front position in this rat-race, you've got to believe you are lucky." ~Stanley Kowalski (played by Marlon Brando) in A Streetcar Named Desire

"Don't you just love those long rainy afternoons when an hour isn't just an hour--but a little piece of eternity dropped into your hands--and who knows what to do with it?" ~Blanche DuBois (played by Vivien Leigh) in A Streetcar Named Desire

[This message has been edited by newbie (edited May 10, 2001).]
Old 05-10-2001, 05:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to queequek
Yeah,
One of Robert Frost's poem describes our fraternity characteristic, Theta Delta Chi.
I forget the detail, but we have his poems.
Also, the Disney character Thumpers came from one of our alumni's name, Frank Thomas ... Thats why our nickname is Thumpers.
Old 05-26-2001, 06:23 PM

I mentioned this in another post, but take a look at the Katie Couric story about her college days, including Tri-Delts at:
www.msnbc.com/news/577498.asp#BODY

Also, though it doesn't have anything to do with Greeks, take a look at Matt Lauer's story on my Alma Mater, Ohio University.

DeltAlum
Old 05-28-2001, 01:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AXPAlum
Neil Armstrong's wife was an Alpha Chi Omega. He put her pin on the moon, that is unless you believe the conspiracy that we never actually went to the moon But that's the info....
Old 05-28-2001, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

My sorority has never been said, but we have been positively represented. Kappa Delta has the privilage of having Miss Ali Landry (the Dorotios girl and a former Miss America) and the Rapping Granny from the Wedding Singer among its alumnae.

------------------
All my KD love n AOT, Meghan
Old 05-29-2001, 04:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Kappa Delta Ali Landry was 1996 Miss USA, not Miss America, just for info. Also the current Miss Alabama USA is a Kappa Delta at Auburn University, and she is absolutely beautiful!
Old 05-30-2001, 11:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Jim Lovell, the commander of Apollo 13,(THe one played by Tom Hanks) is an alumnus of Alpha Phi Omega. He took his brotherhood pin around the moon on Apollo 8 and gave the pin to our National Office.

------------------
Naraht
Alpha Phi Omega Alumni Volunteer
Old 05-30-2001, 02:08 PM
GreekChat Member

About the AXO pin on the moon...

I heard it, and asked a National Council member about it. She said there's something on the moon regarding Neil Armstrong's wife, it's assumed that it was her pin (she was a fairly active member at that time), but wasn't sure.

Then, someone on this board said that she had written National about it, and they confirmed that there was not a pin on the moon.

So, I don't know what to believe.
Old 05-30-2001, 11:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ElleDelta3
About the moon and pin issue

It is not true. I was told by my chapter that it was a Tri Delta pin, and then my freshmen year dormate told me that her chapter (DG) said the same thing. Sounds like a nice story, but not true
Old 05-31-2001, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by naraht:
Jim Lovell, the commander of Apollo 13,(THe one played by Tom Hanks) is an alumnus of Alpha Phi Omega. He took his brotherhood pin around the moon on Apollo 8 and gave the pin to our National Office.

Hi Naraht! I know that Jim Lovell went to the Naval Academy so so I was wondering if you know if he was an alumni initiate into Alpha Phi Omega or if there is a chapter there? Thanks!

------------------
@~Tracy~@
Proud to be Delta-Z

By the light of the lamp, by the light of the lamp, by the bright shiny light, by the light of the lamp...if you are a DeeZee, you're the best that you can be, by the bright shiny light of the lamp!
Old 05-31-2001, 01:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KillarneyRose:
Hi Naraht! I know that Jim Lovell went to the Naval Academy so so I was wondering if you know if he was an alumni initiate into Alpha Phi Omega or if there is a chapter there? Thanks!
Actually, neither Jim Lovell went to the University of Wisconsin from 1946 to 1948 and became a brother there. He then went to the Naval Academy and graduated from the Naval Academy in 1952. I'm on Alpha Phi Omega staff for DC & Maryland and would love to see an Alpha Phi Omega chapter at the Naval Academy, but that is unlikely at this time. (If we did it, we would have to have someone inside willing to figure out exactly what regulations would apply to us)

------------------
Naraht
Alpha Phi Omega Alumni Volunteer
Old 06-28-2001, 01:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AngelPhiSig
I heard the Neil Armstrong story differently... that he was a Phi Delt and he put the Phi Delt flag on the moon... who knows?!

The creator of Guiding Light (Soap Opera) was a founder of the Theta chapter of Phi Sigma Sigma!!!

And you know, once Im famous, Im going to have like SPHINXHEAD Inc... lol....

Oh wait, Im going into congress as of this week... so... uh... Ill be famous for that!

------------------
Phi Sigma Sigma - Gamma Gamma
Tau Beta Sigma - Delta Omicron
Old 06-29-2001, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by blondie9796:
Kappa Delta Ali Landry was 1996 Miss USA, not Miss America, just for info. Also the current Miss Alabama USA is a Kappa Delta at Auburn University, and she is absolutely beautiful!
You're right, Ali Landry was Miss Louisiana, crowned Miss USA 1996 (one of my favorite Miss USA's ever).
Here she is looking beautiful:

and here is the KD who is Miss Alabama USA (Miss USA pageant took place in February), Laura Hoffman:

[This message has been edited by CutiePie2000 (edited June 29, 2001).]
Old 06-29-2001, 09:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Dr. Debbye Turner: Miss America 1990

and Marjorie Judith Vincent: Miss America 1991

are both members of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated. Also a member, Suzette Charles was Miss America in 1984 (completing the reign of Vanessa Williams).

[This message has been edited by showstopper_1908 (edited June 29, 2001).]
Old 06-29-2001, 11:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

I forgot to mention Portia Lyndell Johnson Miss North Carolina USA 2000, member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated.