GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,075
1 members and 1,074 guests
zsamulpitt5293

Old 08-26-2006, 08:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Kappa Mom's Daughter is looking for her home

My daughter and I have been following the Recruitment threads on here for quite some time, and she finally agreed to let me post her story. She has been going through recruitment this past week at the University of Florida and has loved every minute! She was very concerned going into recruitment, as she has had some difficult times over the past few years. You see, her "biological" mom left her and her brother years ago, and her father was left to raise them himself. A few years later, I started dating their father and we were engaged to be married. I loved the children right away, but it took a while for the kids to warm up to me. The kids were just starting to accept me as a permanent, loving part of the family when their father died on 9/11. Obviously, this sent all of us into a tailspin -- especially my daughter. She ended up having to take some time away from school to get herself together. I did everything in my power to help her (and her brother). I was amazed by her strength and determination while she was recovering... I am SO proud of her!! She went back to school and graduated at the top of her class (but a year behind schedule)!! And now, my beautiful angel is in college and going through recruitment! She thought that being a year older than the other pmn's would be a problem for her during rush, but it wasn't! She's had a full schedule of parties all week.
Tomorrow is Bid Day and she is on "pins and needles" waiting for the big moment. Because she is a huge fan of "Project Runway" she has named the houses after some of the designers on that show. She has visited:
Kayne
Laura
Angela
Vincent
Allison
Jeffrey
Uli
Robert
Michael
Bradley
Keith
Malan
Chloe
Santino
Daniel V.
Tim Gunn

She loved them all, but she had to say "Auf Wiedersehen" to some. I will post a little later with her thoughts on the houses... and where she preffed!!

Best wishes to all the pmn's and parents who are going through recruitment!! May you all find your new homes!
Old 08-26-2006, 08:12 PM
GreekChat Member

WE have DZ at the U of F!

Hope she likes Delta Zeta but really hopes she finds her perfect match! Best of Luck to her!
Old 08-26-2006, 08:14 PM
GreekChat Member

i can't wait to hear how her week went!
Old 08-26-2006, 08:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Bless you, Kappa Mom, for loving these children and being there for them. Good luck to your daughter.
Old 08-26-2006, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator

kappa mom, one of my best zeta friends has a daughter attending prefs. at u of f today!! i am so glad to hear that your daughter is having a wonderful experience-i am afraid that i have to be a little selfish in wishing for the ultimate happy ending and hoping that she joins kappa-you have both shared and endured so much. i can't think of a more wonderful thing !! but no matter where she ends up, i am certain that she will have your full support!
Old 08-26-2006, 08:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow... what an heart-wrenching story!!

I hope she finds the home of her dreams!
Old 08-26-2006, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta
kappa mom, one of my best zeta friends has a daughter attending prefs. at u of f today!! i am so glad to hear that your daughter is having a wonderful experience-i am afraid that i have to be a little selfish in wishing for the ultimate happy ending and hoping that she joins kappa-you have both shared and endured so much. i can't think of a more wonderful thing !! but no matter where she ends up, i am certain that she will have your full support!
I agree - truly, this has to be the most moving intro to a Recruitment thread I've ever read! Your daughter has gone through so much, at such an early age, I can only pray that she gets a bid to her first choice!

Many *hugs* to both of you!
Old 08-27-2006, 11:16 AM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
KappaMom, wow! My jaw dropped reading your story. You are one hell of a lady!

Hope your daughter gets her bid day wish!
Old 08-27-2006, 11:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you for sharing! This is so exciting and I hope she has a great day!
Old 08-27-2006, 11:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinydancer
Bless you, Kappa Mom, for loving these children and being there for them. Good luck to your daughter.
I agree. This weekend I read several of the recruitment threads and Kappa Mom's post quickly made this my favorite. Best wishes to your daughter.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you so much for your kind words! My daughter is an amazing woman and I couldn't love her more!
As we wait for tonight (Bid Night), I thought I'd give you her rundown on the houses:
Kayne: This was the first house she visited and she loved it! The women were warm and friendly, and she felt like the time flew by. She was excited to go back to this house.
Laura: She was not very excited about this group. She said they were nice, but she didn't feel like the conversations flowed well. Others in her Pi Chi group really liked this group, but she walked away with a not-so-positive vibe.
Angela:The word she used to describe this group was "cute." Everything was cute... the women, the house, the conversations, etc. She had a great time there!
Vincent: To be honest, she didn't have high expectations for this house (Lord knows why, as they are terrific), but she had an AMAZING time here! She adored the women she spoke with and she loved everything about them! At the end of the day, she ranked them #1!
Allison: She felt this group was a little disinterested in her. She said that the woman who rushed her barely said anything (probably first time nerves). She is keeping an open mind about them, though.
Jeffrey: It seems that this house is a favorite among all the pmn's. She had very high hopes for this house, but she left very disappointed. She didn't go into detail, but she said this house was definitely not for her.
Uli:She loved, loved, loved this house!!! She couldn't wait to go back and chat some more with the sisters!
Robert: She had a great time here! She said the conversations were different (they asked great questions) and she loved the way the sisters complemented eachother. She was excited about this house!
Michael:This was another house that she absolutely adored!! She said she felt "at home" right away... and she hopes the sisters feel the same way about her!
Bradley:The women here were "super cute" and she had a nice time. A very positive experience.
Keith:Very sweet women here. She said the sisterhood felt very strong and that was a big plus in her book.
Malan: She had a lot of fun here, but she felt she didn't "shine" as much here because she was getting tired. But she really liked this house and was anxious to go back.
Chloe: She said she got a second wind here, because the women were so nice. She really liked them and she said they had "something special."
Santino: She felt a little overwhelmed here... she said there were two to three women for each pmn. She said they were nice, but if she had to cut a group, she would cut them.
Daniel V.: She felt like she didn't "give her all" to this group, but they were nice.
Tim Gunn: She really loved this group... great women and great conversations!

For the Philanthropy round, she returned to 11 houses and had an amazing time! She did NOT go back to Jeffrey, Laura, Allison, Santino and Daniel V.

She said the next round of cuts were very tough, and she was a little disappointed at some of the cuts she got. But, she received a full party list for the Video round! She returned to the following houses for Videos:
Bradley
Tim Gunn
Kayne
Vincent
Michael
Chloe
Uli

She said that she loved them all and had a very hard time chosing where she wanted to Pref. She knew she loved Vincent and Michael... but she also adored Kayne, Uli and Tim Gunn. In the end, she said that God was smiling over her, because she was invited to Pref at the following houses:
Vincent
Michael
Uli

She cried at each pref ceremony and would be happy at any of these houses. She didn't want to say which house she hoped for the most, but I get a feeling that it's Vincent. I would love to see her wherever she is happiest! I guess we'll find out tonight!!

Thanks for listening to our (very long) story. I'll keep you posted as soon as I know anything! And for those of you who are rooting for Kappa... it's still a distinct possibility!!
Old 08-27-2006, 11:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Kappa Mom, your post sent warm fuzzies to my heart

I hope your daughter has a wonderful time at bid night tonight!

Well, since my favorite designer (Kayne) wasn't on her pref list, I'm gonna have to go with Michael or Uli because I cannot stand Vincent. LOL.

How wonderful that Kappa (from the sounds of it) is still in the running. It sounds like your daughter is an amazing legacy.

Can't wait to find out which house she got!

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 08-27-2006, 12:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that your daughter finds her home. (And of course, I'd love to see a happy Kappa ending! )

You are a wonderful mother, and reading this rush thread made me tear up. Thank God for wonderful women like you!
Old 08-27-2006, 12:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: The interwebs. I understand it's a "series of tubes."
I'm so excited for your daughter! Three parties she's so happy to attend, and she's a legacy at one of them. Good luck tonight!

TEII
Old 08-27-2006, 12:13 PM
GreekChat Member

KappaMom - what a heart wrenching story.

May your Daughter find the home of her dreams today!