GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 791
2 members and 789 guests
LarryByday

Old 04-14-2004, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator

She may want to look into a reporting job with the Enquirer.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-14-2004, 02:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Pi Phi
Are you serious. She really did use that website??

I was only joking!
I didn't check all the footnotes, she may have--it wouldn't surprise me--but I was referring to the other one that focuses on just one group.
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 04-14-2004, 02:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: "...maybe tomorrow I'm gonna settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on."
Send a message via AIM to Lady Pi Phi
Quote:
Originally posted by ISUKappa
I didn't check all the footnotes, she may have--it wouldn't surprise me--but I was referring to the other one that focuses on just one group.
Ok.
But either way, websites aren't really a reliable source of information. She should know better.
Old 04-14-2004, 03:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

DA ME, you mean not everything on the Internet is not True? The Inquirer is a pack of BS wrapped in a brown paper sach with a pretty ribbon tied is not for real!

This is what many of us have said before, the only thing that sells about Greeks is the worst part, not all of the good that is done.

Who will buy a book on LXA, SX, KS, GPB, SK, Tri Delt, AGD ETC, about the hours spent collecting food, playing with children, cleaning highways or any other thing that is done for betterment?

Well it doesnt take much to reason that out does it!

Who cares that LXA North American Food Drive is the largest of anyone ever, or the SX Derby Day is one of the most recognized Campus Charity Events?

Good dont sell, so in watching the Sprint Ads. the two Greek Organizations look like idiots! Check out the Letters, DA!

I cringe everytime I seem them!

Oh, if ayone buys the book, how about passing it around so we can scan it and not make the Author anymore, $$$$$$$, our own lending library?

LX Z # 1
Alumni

Last edited by Tom Earp; 04-14-2004 at 03:14 PM.
Old 04-14-2004, 03:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Ya know, I SERIOUSLY do not get what it is with people's obsessions with making Greeks sound bad! I mean, if they had ANY idea what it's really like, and went beyond all those damn stereotypes, they would finally get it. I'm a theatre major at my school, and have to constantly listen to people bash me and my choice to be in a sorority. I'm so sick and tired of "non- conformists" saying that I'm a sellout or whatever. My sorority made me a better person, and got me to stop doing very self- destructive things (ah, the "willpower of a dancer"). They have NO idea how much it means to me!! I swear, it's just rampant immaturity! As for this sketch- as- hell reporter, she obviously knows nothing about true journalism. She says that she researched... she may havem but she then twisted it. She then tried to butter the Greeks up about it, being all "I have respect for those girls I interviewed".... if you respect us, show it! I just don't understand it. Can anyone explain this to me?!?!
Old 04-14-2004, 03:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

Ah, seeing your number of posts a newbie so to speak at least on Greek Chat! Yes, it is a sad thing, and I think all Greeks will admit it helped all of us become much better people!

We understand that, but those who have never been through it have no clue!

Those who have never been through a Ritual whether it be mine or anyone elses really dont have a clue!

:Just a throw in, a young Man Who is now a Brother Of LXA, emailed me telling me about how I told Him how he would feel form going through our Ritual emailed me back saying how right I was and was so glad to have been a part of it!:

We all know what it is like to go through the workings and teachings and our Rituals and what it means to us. Those that havent, dont have and never will have a clue!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 04-14-2004, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator

Tom, while all that may be true, the originator of this thread/author of this book belonged to a local group and therefore, was likely privy to some sort of ritual. Why doesn't she reveal her own ritual in this book? Or does she? I never read it... better things to read, ya know?

Some folks will do anything to make money. The author saw a potent source of income and simply tapped it. All of this indignation merely validates what she did. Of course, what she did was unfair to the individuals she used in her book. It did all work out for her though. I cannot think why she would post here and expect anything but outrage though.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 04-14-2004, 03:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ISUKappa
She used that website???
Old 04-14-2004, 09:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to damasa Send a message via AIM to damasa Send a message via Yahoo to damasa
Quote:
Originally posted by IheartAGDandAPD
Read the book before you make judgements.
Don't make assumptions that people haven't read the book.

It appears to sound like a majoirty of people in this thread have read at least part of the book.

Anyway, unless anyone that has made a comment in this thread was actually along for the ride nobody is to tell anyone any different. If they girls knew or didn't know, if people read or didn't read the book or if people are passing judgement or not.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZetaGirl22
SO I bought this book in the hopes that she would portray an accurate picutre of greek life-I have been sadly mistaken. I have several problems with the book:

1) She did not use real names-how are we to know that the stories of these 4 girls are really true to begin with, and more importantly, how do we know that she did not twist their words and use them against these women. I doubt she was completely forthcoming when she approached these women-none of them seem overtly angry with their chapter-angry enough to make them want to do something so potentially harmful

2) Only one college and two sororities were observed. While there are some similarities to my alma mater, Robbins' State U chapters are NOTHING like my own and I am guessing nothing like your own. I know that my organization alone has close to 200 active chapters across the country, and there are 26 NPC orgs, and even more NIC orgs-we are talking about hundreds of thousands of people here. How can you make such an overaching arguement when your sample size is SO abysmally low? No credible journalist would print this.

3) I love how Robbins even manages to make greek philanthropy events look bad. She criticises us for having large charity events (i know a big one at my school was KD's Wiffleball tournament)
instead of investing in the community in other ways. Robbins does not understand the time, effort, and resources it takes to plan and successfully execute such events. I wonder when the last time was when Robbins last even though about contributing to a charity, much less the rest of the population at large. Yes, I personally donate money to RAINN from every paycheck. Does that make me a bad person because I contribute money and not time? Time is not something many of us have a lot of, and I contribute in the only way I can.

Sadly, I do not think the greek system will ever be portrayed in a positive light in the media. It is up to us then, to continue to further and promote our organizations and to show people how rewarding greek life can be from the inside.

Shame on you, Miss Robbins, shame indeed
Loved by a Zeta Psi
Old 04-15-2004, 09:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to The1calledTKE Send a message via Yahoo to The1calledTKE
This link has been big on fark.com

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4751618/
Old 04-15-2004, 09:57 PM

(from the link)

Quote:
I think if they wiped out the idea of pledging, didn’t force girls to live in a house together and really overhauled the rush process then I’d be much more likely to happily let a girl in.
Then that would not be a sorority, dipshit. That would be the library club.

I will never understand why some people get so upset about test files - it's not cheating, it's to help you know how the professor tests. If the professor uses the same test year after year, that's his dumb fault.
Old 04-16-2004, 12:23 AM

Re: (from the link)

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
Then that would not be a sorority, dipshit. That would be the library club.

FAV GC QUOTE OF THE WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously though, I am going to reserve my severe critque until I actually have time to read the book. And since I highly doubt my library will have a copy, I will have to wait until it shows up on half.com.

But using websites for info, come on. Most college profs won't take info for papers unless the site it .edu or .gov...sometimes .org (depending on the org)
I highly doubt her sites were one of the above.

Its not just poor taste, it is poor research.
Old 04-16-2004, 12:34 AM
GreekChat Member

From the link above:

Because many of the myths turn out to be more than accurate, Robbins refuses to identify the university and the two sorori_ties to protect the identity of the four girls she shadows (who agreed to particpate in the book).

I'd be willing to bet any of you all the money I have (which, granted, isn't much) that the entire book is fiction. Are people really going to be so stupid as to fall for this crap?
Old 04-16-2004, 12:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie
From the link above:

Because many of the myths turn out to be more than accurate, Robbins refuses to identify the university and the two sorori_ties to protect the identity of the four girls she shadows (who agreed to particpate in the book).

I'd be willing to bet any of you all the money I have (which, granted, isn't much) that the entire book is fiction. Are people really going to be so stupid as to fall for this crap?

I was thinking the same thing...