GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,582
1 members and 1,581 guests
FSUZeta

Old 06-24-2002, 07:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Question message board on MTV>!

Hmm... MTV usually puts up a message board for its shows. There's not one up for Sorority Life yet.

http://www.mtv.com/onair/sorority_life/
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-24-2002, 08:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: message board on MTV>!

Quote:
Originally posted by kdonline
Hmm... MTV usually puts up a message board for its shows. There's not one up for Sorority Life yet.
Maybe because they know we would be ripping them a new one on it?

Anyone gonna watch? If so, anyone want to chat during it?

TG
Old 06-24-2002, 09:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: message board on MTV>!

Quote:
Originally posted by TrojanGirl

Maybe because they know we would be ripping them a new one on it?

Anyone gonna watch? If so, anyone want to chat during it?

TG
There is a chat option on this board for anyone who wants to chat during the show. The chat link is up at the very top on the blue part, with black or dark blue writing.
Old 08-22-2002, 11:02 AM
GreekChat Member

RockChalk You don't have to be on national television to have someone watching you. Are they going to like what they see?

Ilike this statement, alot of truth.

Now that I know there are some involved parties represented on the board, may I say to you-
**Nothing has shocked me, I've heard worse on these boards.
Many chapters "pledge" girls who are not what they appear to be during recruitment.
Formal was indeed beautiful, but you really may want to rethink the hour and amount of time dedicated. You do have GUESTS present and they should be considered too. (Especially since the guests are MEN and TANKED UP at that.)
The actions of Candace and Jordan, and their respective cliques, were equally wrong.
The importance of your sisterhood came through IMO this past episode. Will there be consequences??? Hmmmm stay tuned!
**Ok, somethig DOES bother me. The girls who are getting drunk
hanging on guys and shacking up. I have a hard time believing your NORMAL-AVERAGE-GIRL NEXT DOOR would behave that way on natonal TV. Think about it. All your friends, parents GRANDPARENTS able to tune in and see you cussing like a sailor and dry humping some guy!?! Of course it's a part of "bar ritual" and of course it goes on. That's not my point. I just think there's a serious lack of judgement on their part or an attitude that is UNSigma like . Those I speak of may be a blast to be with, but not the sharpest knife in the drawer unless that's the image they WANT to portray! Oh, and I still like Jordan better than Candace! I just might not initiate either of them.
Old 08-23-2002, 12:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltAlum
Sisters and Brothers,

It was obvious from the producers' website, and has now been proven by the on-air promotion, that the content and storyline for this series was pre-determined by the producers. It is also obvious that it isn't likely to be positive for the Greek System.

If the women of this local think otherwise, I'm afraid they're dreaming.

In any event, it's probably too late to do anything about the damage which almost certainly will be done. The question is how to react to it and counteract that damage.

With no disrespect intended, it seem obvious to me why the producer picked a local -- no national would allow one of their chapters to be involved. And wisely so.
I completely agree here.

I went to one of the SAEP links that a GC'er posted earlier in this thread... about the "myths & facts" on why they went ahead with the show.. and one of the "facts" they posted is as follows:

"The creator of the show is Greek himself and his goal is to portray a positive image of Greek life."

... Hmmm.. that's an interesting positive image the creator is portraying there
Old 08-23-2002, 12:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: message board on MTV>!

Quote:
Originally posted by kdonline

http://www.mtv.com/onair/sorority_life/
kdonline, there used to be a chat board for the show awhile back. I think it has since been taken offline. I actually visited it once and read through some of the posts.. they were mostly all negative towards the show - about how the show doesn't portray "real greek life" & stuff like that.
Old 08-23-2002, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to snuggles12
Re: Re: message board on MTV>!

People are using the taildaters message board on mtv.com to post about sorority life. It's the unofficial message board for sorority life.

#7 snuggles
DST - RVA 12/93

Quote:
Originally posted by texas*princess

kdonline, there used to be a chat board for the show awhile back. I think it has since been taken offline. I actually visited it once and read through some of the posts.. they were mostly all negative towards the show - about how the show doesn't portray "real greek life" & stuff like that.
Old 08-23-2002, 02:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to bubblevicious
I know I've already posted this in a different thread but I will post it here again:
I completely agree that the show is displaying a negative outlook on greek life. It totally bumms me I think GLO's get stereotyped enough, and really Sorority Life is doing just that. People automatically put together "Fraternities....Animal House.... PArties!!" (Although that is a great movie, hehe, its just an example) The show needs to focus more on the postive aspects like all of our philanthropies and dedication. Instead it has created "The Candace & Jordan Show". But oh well, we can't do anything but keep on doing the great things we've always done and understand that it's hard for friends outside the greek system to understand.

Yes, I'll admit that a huge influence on me joining a sorority was for the social benefit, but I also joined knowing that I would gain great friendships, participation in school spirit, formals, and wonderful experiences helping and serving others. You guys have heard of the 19 reasons to go Greek right? If u haven't, just ask.

That's my opinion! Thanks for listening!
Old 08-24-2002, 12:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AlphaXiDiva
Exclamation Wow!

I am a bit shocked by all I have read. Just so everyone knows, I am a local girl, so now you know my bias. But I have been reading thread after thread on GC and been loving all the total Greek Love that I have seen! I was overwhelmed at the support (though sprinkled with underlying bias for your orgs!) and group love. (inter)National orgs showed love to locals, and all shared love for each separate org within either category. Now I see all this straight up haterism, and it sucks. I am a religious viewer of the show, and on first glance I thought, wow, I am stoked to see what MTV has in store. I didn't really expect to get a quality look at Sorority life. That wouldn't get as amny viewers. After all, look at all of us on this site, thread after thread venting about the show. It has done it's job, truly.
As for everyone being so judgemental to Sigma, and even the idividuals on the show, I honestly think you need to step back and take a strong look at yourslef, and who you are in your org. When I watch the show, automatically, I have my "okay, I am watxhing MTV, so everything I see will be skewed and pprobably mis-protrayed. I never had a hateful thought about the women involved. I see way too much attepted justification of spite and negative energy here, with absolutely NO sign of solution.
Rather than hate the women of sigma (sorry SAEPi girls that you have been through SO much slandering by the way, my heart goes out to you all, I hope you stay strong!) try and talk about issues you all have as Greeks. Bitching, and dissing helps no one, and manisfests any neagtive energy that already existed.
Bring back Greek love and support. If we as GLOs wish to see stronger protrayals of Greek life, how about banding together and trying to make it so. If not to rectify the potential damage already done (to sigma, and other greeks alike) to prevent a ny future negativity. They are asking other orgs to be in MTVs next sorority life (my org included). We all need to work together, no t against each other to create a positive image. Okay, I am done rambling for days!
Old 08-24-2002, 02:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to chideltjen
amen alphaxidiva... i would have said the same thing only i would basically be saying the same thing you said and it would just be repetitive and yadda yadda yadda...

but wasn't there another thread that kinda turned out like this one? oh well. i was just amazed at all the "drama" being brought up before the show even started...

such is life.
Old 08-24-2002, 05:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PandaOnProzac
This is my first time posting in General Discussion but when I first started watching Sorority Life I thought it would boost greek life and show the bonds it brings. Now that it's almost over and all the drama that goes on I really disagree with the show. I just think all the cameras brought out more of the stereotypical behaviors. I sorta feel sorry for the sister sorority of my fraternity cuz they might get the brunt of the stereotype.