GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,138
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, KristyClif
» Online Users: 1,041
2 members and 1,039 guests
LaneSig, Titchou

Old 07-16-2013, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

I seriously doubt it.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I love the Cookie Shine tradition, especially since it was started at my alma mater! At KU, we are so lucky to have several very old chapters with extremely rich history

Back to the topic...I didn't get my first choice, and believe me, it does all work out. I fell in love with a chapter during recruitment, and was dead set on them from Day 1. I was devastated on Bid Day, but I was very humbled and grateful for the bid that I received and decided to move forward and take every opportunity that I could to engage and learn more about my chapter.

I know that at 18 years old, I had absolutely no clue about the honor and priviledge of sorority membership and the lifelong friendships and opportunities that come with it. I could only see what was right in front of me - that I had been hurt and rejected from a group of women that I wanted to be a part of. I think that sorority recruitment is one of the few experiences today where rejection is part of the game, and while it can hurt, but it is a strong life lesson that I think that many young people NEED. Life isn't about getting everything that you want perfectly presented on a silver platter...it is about taking the opportunties that come your way with grace and a positive attitude!

I am extremely proud to be an ADPi and a Panhellenic woman. College was many years ago, but my membership is even more important to me, and my love for our sisterhood continues to grow year after year.

New PNM's...PLEASE open your mind and your heart to this process. Research national sorority websites and learn more about the wonderful things that women in all 26 groups are doing. We all believe in sisterhood, service, philanthropy and leadership...it is our ritual that makes us special and unique.

Best of luck to everyone!
Old 07-17-2013, 02:34 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ Well said!
Old 07-17-2013, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

I was curious as to how the Pi Beta Phi "Ring Ching" song goes, so I found this rendition on Youtube. It is so cute, as is the story told by the song leader:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szBtafzdYjY
Old 07-17-2013, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
I was curious as to how the Pi Beta Phi "Ring Ching" song goes, so I found this rendition on Youtube. It is so cute, as is the story told by the song leader:

I should have warned you, but now it's too late...I can't get the Pi Phi Cookie Shine song out of my head! Formerly, it was the Ring Ching song. My daughter loves to sing that around the house this summer.

I love that legacy story from the song leader.

At least both of my kids also know "I Love the Crescent Moon" by heart!

Last edited by Sciencewoman; 07-17-2013 at 05:47 PM.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
I know.

Peanuts and olives just can't compete. Why couldn't those fraternity boys/Alpha Phis/fill in the blank according to chapter tradition have left desert? Sheesh.

And Zetas get strawberries!
FSUZeta, please share the back story on strawberries!
Old 07-17-2013, 07:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post

I just had to put the video on and I was eating a bowl of rice so I was beating the glass bowl with my spoon at the required time. Of course, I turned around to see my husband and teenage son there at the end staring at me. Oh well!
Old 08-10-2013, 10:56 PM
GreekChat Member

. . . Sciencewoman, it's my understanding that the Zetas started the tradition after an admirer sent a member a lovely basket of strawberries, which she then shared with her sisters.

Last edited by SWTXBelle; 06-19-2014 at 08:35 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
Bumping time . . .

. . . Sciencewoman, it's my understanding that the Zetas started the tradition after an admirer sent a member a lovely basket of strawberries, which she then shared with her sisters.
Yes, from our website....
In the late 1800s, an admirer of one of ZTA’s Founders, Mary Campbell Jones (Batte), sent her a gift of strawberries. The scrumptious present prompted the group of nine friends to host their first purely social gathering and to become officially recognized as a campus organization.

A fun symbol, love that it's edible AND looks good with turquoise!
Old 08-12-2013, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator

Thank you, FSUZeta! I never heard it, either! Even though Pi Beta Phi was the first sorority on our campus, they were long gone by the time I rushed.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:52 AM
GreekChat Member

I had "Ring Ching" stuck in my head for hours!
Old 08-20-2013, 06:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I've heard a recording of "Ring Ching" before, but never with actual "ringing!" I love it.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile Didn't get my first choice

I can relate to all those people who didn't get their first choice. I went to college not knowing much about sororities but knowing I wanted to be in one. I did know a girl in high school was a Gamma Phi, so they instantly became my first choice. I also knew two girls who were Pi Phis, I didn't know those girls as well as I knew the Gamma Phi, so I decided I liked the Pi Phis, but didn't put as much effort into being there as I did at the Gamma Phi house.

On the last night I was down to three houses, Pi Phi, Gamma Phi, and A o Pi. I didn't love A o Pi, so they were a solid number three. I did feel more love for Pi Phi at the final party, but I was set on Gamma Phi, and they always seemed to like me. I had that high school connection, so I figured I was in for sure.

Imagine my surprise on bid day when I opened an invitation from Pi Phi. My first reaction was, "Oh, how did that happen." And on top of it, it was my birthday. My first birthday away from home. How do you not get your first choice on your birthday?

When I got the house for the bid day party the first girls to greet me were the girls from my high school. I started to realize they really wanted me. I went on to meet more great girls and of course fell in love with the house. I became chapter president and have been alum club president twice. I realized that while I didn't make the right choice someone was looking out for me and put me where I needed to be.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:58 AM
GreekChat Member

^^^ Great story!

It has been confirmed: there WILL be a Cookie Shine at Parents Weekend!!! I'm sooooo excited! I am solidly in support of any tradition that involves the shameless and unfettered acquisition of candy!
Old 11-04-2013, 12:21 AM
GreekChat Member

I didn't get my first choice. I got my second, but I can't imagine my life now as anything else. I met my maid of honor, two bridesmaids, and many other close friends through my sorority; these women were there for me through dealing with anxiety, falling in love, struggling with school my senior year, and my first job. They honestly are there for both my highs and lows. I could have easily shut down after not getting my first choice. I instead decided to give it my best, and you truly get out what you put in. I was able to hold an exec position and a couple of committee chair positions, met an amazing woman who became my little, and I'm able to give back as an alumnae now. I am so very proud to be a Pi Phi, and I don't know if I would have that same pride and experience if I would have been in another chapter on my campus - looking back, I definitely made the wrong choice in recruitment. I chose for silly, 19 year old reasons, and instead, got what I needed - somewhere where I was at home.