GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,375
1 members and 2,374 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 09-06-2010, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
My ETA above clarified that I was saying that these regulations and consequences (hopefully) exist regardless of whether they come from the fraternities, NIC, or IFC. The notion that the regulations do not exist (regardless of where they come from) or that they MIGHT exist "but who knows" is baffling to me.

Bidding =/= rushing but there's inappropriate stuff that tends to happen before you get to improper bidding.
Yea, I saw the ETA, but I was responding to 33girl's post.

And in NIC world, you're told to check out each organization to see where you'll best fit. It's up to the rushee to make sure he gets to know as many people as possible so he can make an informed decision. It's not really "dirty" rushing because everyone is encouraged to use "365 recruitment" -- therefore, there aren't silent periods or times when it's inappropriate to talk to a rushee.

Bidding someone who isn't eligible, though, is a different story.

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-06-2010, 04:38 PM
GreekChat Member

The NIC isn't really concerned with being Big Brother like the NPC is (I'm using the term 'Big Brother' kind of loosely). From what I know, the NIC is just concerned with ensuring good relations between all of its member orgs, not making sure that they're all functioning exactly the same.

Usually, IFCs have rules on "dirty rushing." I know that my school's IFC doesn't allow bids to be given out between the start of summer and the beginning of Rush. Otherwise, the rules are pretty loosely laid out.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

First, it might honestly be just an expression and not a guarantee...somebody could have just thrown "oh don't worry, you have a ton in common with us, you're a shoo in" out there to show that he thinks the rushee will get a bid. He might not have meant that he's actually been discussed as a shoo in. I'm sure the context would make it all clear.

Second, I really have no problem with somebody saying this if they truly are a shoo-in. Our chapter never made a final decision until the night before bid day, but I know that some chapters make decisions on certain pledges before school even starts.

Third, I don't think it's dirty rushing. Unlike NPC recruitment, fraternity recruitment is not about seeing every chapter and giving everybody a fair shot. In fact, quite the opposite...we were usually skeptical of a guy if he was not rushing us solely. So saying things like that to keep somebody looking at one chapter only is OK in my book.

On the topic of dirty rushing, I don't think there are national rules for us like there are for NPC. Campuses almost always have dirty rushing rules though. Mine certainly did. The thing about fraternities though is that not one chapter on campus followed the rules. Nobody turned each other in either because of how hypocritical it would be. The most common infractions were hosting secret parties during rush week and taking star rushees out to lunches or sports games before school starts.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Now that I think about it, we have a few rules from our local IFC (but they're not national rules because I don't they could manage in a non-formal setting)

No hotboxing (that's what she said)
No getting rushees drunk during formal rush.

I mean, I was a Rho Chi and I'm pretty sure those were the only "infractions" we were suppose to be looking for.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 09-06-2010, 10:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Telling someone they are going to get a bid is not dirty rushing. In fact, it's a great tactic if the person loves the chapter. They won't bother looking elsewhere if they know they're getting a bid. IFC-unfriendly? Perhaps.

But, again, nothing is set in stone until the chapter votes and bids are handed out.

Dirty rushing would be telling someone, "Hey, all the other groups gave out their bids, so if you didn't receive one we're the only group you're getting a bid from, so you better accept otherwise you won't be in greek life. This bid is only good for right now."

Now, people from bigger schools might laugh and say there is no way that could happen. If IFC doesn't make its authority known and you have a useless greek advisor, this can happen. A group on my campus was notorious for doing this and ended up having people accept, only to get offered bids to other groups a day or two later. The rushees who signed the bid were then forced to stay with that group or drop out, since the other groups didn't want to deal with any baggage. Thankfully, our IFC improved greatly and now have a more active greek advisor.

It's hard to prove dirty rushing since you don't want to be 'that guy.' The person it happens to has to report it, otherwise it becomes hearsay between groups.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post
Now that I think about it, we have a few rules from our local IFC (but they're not national rules because I don't they could manage in a non-formal setting)

No hotboxing (that's what she said)
No getting rushees drunk during formal rush.

I mean, I was a Rho Chi and I'm pretty sure those were the only "infractions" we were suppose to be looking for.
You can't smoke pot with the rushees???
Old 09-07-2010, 11:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCash View Post
You can't smoke pot with the rushees???
Haha no pot is def okay with IFC, just no more than two people talking to them at the same time.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke