GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 2,321
1 members and 2,320 guests
naraht

Old 09-20-2018, 06:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I always get the feeling that I haven’t done enough, that I wasn’t what people wanted, that I didn’t live up to the standards or expectations of others, no matter how prepared I feel. Surprisingly, I didn’t feel that way after I finished this round. In my heart, I knew I’d done all that I could at that point to show these women who I was and what I had to offer. I’d been introduced to some amazing chapters, to some incredible women. I’d cried over my losses, and I’d laughed with new friends that were just as confused as I was. I had presented these sororities with what I was. For some, it would not be enough. I knew this. But I hoped that for just one, it would be.

Good for you that you've recognized this during your recruitment journey!!! You're almost there!!! One of these three will be thrilled to extend you a bid. Then it is up to you to make the most of the opportunity. Good luck.
Old 09-20-2018, 06:24 PM
GreekChat Member

I can't wait to hear the rest of your story! You have such a great attitude!! Keeping my fingers crossed for a very happy ending!
Old 09-20-2018, 08:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I can't wait to hear where you preffed! I'm riveted to your story and the depth of emotion you're sharing in the retelling.
Old 09-22-2018, 09:37 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm really looking forward to learning what happened with your recruitment! I'm pretty sure I know who Lemon Pound Cake and Blueberry Cobbler are, and have a good idea about Strawberry Shortcake (and Mango Peach Lemonade) too! I find your insights into the UT recruitment process, as well as your own self-reflection, very interesting and refreshing.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Can't wait to hear the rest!!!

Sorry to thread jack, but ForrestGrump, you and I are locals.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Sunday, Round 4: Preference

As I meticulously fixed my hair, carefully applied my makeup, and slipped into my black dress for that day, I began to reflect on the week and all that had happened thus far. Was it possible for time to both fly by and move at a snail’s pace simultaneously? Earlier that week, I hadn’t a clue as to where I could belong, who I might mesh with, or where the wind would take me. I was now about to enter my final day of recruitment with mixed feelings. I was nervous, I was hopeful, and I was confused. I knew in my heart that I truly would’ve been happy to see any of the houses that I had visited the day before on my list. I was also incredibly surprised to hear about how many girls had been dropped from recruitment all together throughout the week, and my heart went out to them. I had figured that everyone would receive a bid if they stuck it out through the week, but that had turned out to not be the case. Many of my friends that had entered into recruitment with me had found themselves broken-hearted after answering release phone calls from their Rho Gams as the week went on. I was given my schedule, and I opened it to see:

Blueberry Cobbler

I smiled. Blueberry Cobbler. I had consistently loved this house throughout the week, and I was so glad to see them on my schedule that I barely even gave a second thought to Lemon Pound Cake or Strawberry Shortcake.

Blueberry Cobbler: The sisters sang a quietly as we came in, and I loved that. I was paired with a girl that I had met and loved earlier during the week. She led me into a room where two sisters sang an absolutely beautiful song, and another sister read a letter to one of her closest friends in the chapter. We were then led into the main area where the seats were arranged in the shape of their symbol. The president spoke so honestly about her chapter. We heard more speeches, and I talked with another girl that I had clicked really well with that week before they sang us out the door.

Ranking was simpler than simple. I cast my vote as:
1. Blueberry Cobbler

I ended up asking my Rho Gam if I was guaranteed a spot in Blueberry Cobbler. She told me that nothing is promised, but that I should remain hopeful. Ever since I was very little, my mom has always told me that what is meant to be, will be. Although this phrase is often hard to hear because it’s usually brought up in times of stress or worry, I appreciated the truth of it at that moment. If it was meant to be, it would be.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:03 PM
GreekChat Member

What a great thread. Where ever you landed they are very lucky to have you. Congratulations!
I think I know who Blueberry Cobbler is from your description of their House. As you said in the beginning it only takes one!!
Old 09-24-2018, 11:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I am loving this thread. Please make my day and tell me you are a proud new member of Blueberry Cobbler.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:53 PM
GreekChat Member

No mention of PNMs being carried on a member’s back leaving the sisterhood round and no “glitter bombing” mentioned for Pref so maybe we can rule those 2 out ...

Last edited by ChioLu; 09-24-2018 at 11:59 PM.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Being that I live in West Michigan, where we have a lot of blueberry farms, I'm really hoping to hear that you received a bid to Blueberry Cobbler!
Old 09-25-2018, 10:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChioLu View Post
No mention of PNMs being carried on a member’s back leaving the sisterhood round and no “glitter bombing” mentioned for Pref so maybe we can rule those 2 out ...
What???? I'd heard about the glitter bombing from a certain house, but not this.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Ooooh, good luck MayBeth!!!

Blueberries rock!
Old 09-25-2018, 04:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Agh! Don’t leave us hanging!! I think you might be my new sister based on your house description and the Blueberries you met
Old 09-25-2018, 04:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolene View Post
What???? I'd heard about the glitter bombing from a certain house, but not this.
Yes. The pre-selected PNMs who the chapter knew were advancing to Pref would be told to piggyback on a member while leaving Sisterhood round. (Most PNMs would be taken by surprise and comply so to not offend the member or chapter. But how awkward. Not only to command someone to get on your back, but what if the PNM was wearing a dress, or short dress!)

A recent NPC Chair (not current one) and former National President of this sorority visited UT a few years ago and hopefully shut this down. Not sure of the outcome (heavy sigh).

MayBeth - did you hear of this happening?
Old 09-25-2018, 09:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Monday, Conclusion: Bid Day!

I woke up the next morning and momentarily forgot what day it was. Suddenly, I remembered. I hadn’t received a release phone call. One of my closest friends and I walked to Hogg that evening with all of the other girls who had had bids extended to them. They passed out the envelopes, and we sat as the Panhellenic Team congratulated us on surviving the week. As I sat in the auditorium, envelope in hand, I didn’t feel the same nervous jitters that many of the girls next to me were experiencing. The girl to my left, a sophomore who had been unhappy with the house she joined freshman year but had acted as an unbiased and sweet guide for me throughout the week, ended up receiving an invitation to Mango Peach Lemonade. I can say with complete sincerity that I was happy for her. When I opened my envelope and saw Blueberry Cobbler on my bid card, I was overcome with joy. I had known that I would see their name on my card, but something about seeing it and holding it in my hand made it feel that much more real. There was no surprise, no nervous anticipation, just the comfort of knowing that I was being welcomed into a sisterhood that accepted me for who I was. Bid day was a blast, our new member meetings have been a ton of fun, and I already look up to my big sister more than anyone else.

I know that a few of you might be wondering where I received a bid from. Who exactly IS Blueberry Cobbler?
I happily ran home to...

ALPHA DELTA PI!

I am over the moon about joining this sisterhood!

I apologize if my story has been too drawn out, too detailed, or too uneventful. My favorite recruitment stories to read were always the vivid ones, the kind where I felt as though I were experiencing every thought and emotion that the poster had experienced. My story definitely isn’t perfect like some of the other girls I’ve talked with or like some of the stories I’ve read about on this website, but I’m proud. I’m proud of my friends (who mostly ended up as Watermelon Popsicles and Vanilla Cream Puffs), each of the chapters on my campus, the other 1,000 girls that went through recruitment, and I’m proud of myself. But most importantly, I’m proud to be an ADPi! PLAM!