GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,467
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Bioxtrim
» Online Users: 1,456
0 members and 1,456 guests
No Members online

Old 12-14-2000, 11:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Post VP Mental Ideas

if you have any good ideas that work--let me know!!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-14-2000, 10:21 PM

Question

What exactly does this office entail?
Old 12-14-2000, 11:57 PM
Super Moderator

PiPhiAngel, I think we're the only group that calls the office VP Mental!!! 33Girl, it's kind of like being vice president in charge of scholarship.
Old 12-15-2000, 03:15 AM

Some great things that our VPScholarship always did...

-kept a binder in the library so that we could record our study hours

-gave us a cookie for A's

-all the study hours and A's were assigned points. At the end of the quarter you received Study Bucks. More points = more $.
We then had an auction. We'd bid on all sorts of things that the VPS had bought over the semester. Items varied from a pin pillow, to stationary, to a giant teddy bear!

The VPS would also have special awards for most improved GPA, highest GPA, family or big/lil sis combo w/ highest GPA, etc.

I loved the auctions. Girls with a lot of $ would always start the bidding high. So then the other girls would pool their $ so that they could compete. Lots of fun!

Old 12-15-2000, 08:38 PM

Talking

Oh OK - that sounds a lot more intriguing than just plain old scholarship VP!

One of the things we did for scholarship was when we called the roll at each meeting, we all said how many classes we missed the past week. For each class missed we had to pay a quarter. At the end of the semester we donated it to our philanthropy.
Old 12-15-2000, 11:26 PM
Unregistered-

I think a lot of sororities have similar Scholarship ideas.

At each weekly chapter meeting our VP Scholarship gives out an Alpha Gam dollar (only good in Gam land!) for each hour studied. Each week we turned in a study sheet saying how many hours we studied. We also have a study buddy program where we earn double bucks. In addition to that she has a brag board where she lists all our A's and B's for the semester. The person with the most study hours gets a little "study nut" certificate for the week, and it's good morale for the sisters as well as an opportunity to do well academically.

At the end of the semester (usually at the last chapter meeting), the VP Scholarship holds an auction and we bring our Alpha Gam Dollars. We get LOTS of stuff donated by the Alums and Junior Circle, and it's a fun way to end the year!

------------------
*I'm an Alpha Gam...Yes I am, Yes I am!*
Old 02-03-2001, 11:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Our VP Mental always passes around an A and B jar in which we put all the A's and B's from the week for a drawing...eventually you end up with quite a few chances. She also has a slacker jar...in this we tell when we had been slackers during the week.
Old 02-04-2001, 02:20 AM
Unregistered-

Cool

Just an update from last semester:

Our VP Scholarship is doing a similar thing to what 33girl mentioned in her previous post. She got a jar and called it the "SKIPPY JAR" and we donate a quarter for every class missed. The proceeds go to Foundation. However, if we were all good girls and went to all our classes for the week, you put your name in the jar, and she picks one at random. The winner gets a small cool prize. It's easy and fun, and a great way to help bring up those grades!

------------------
*I'm an Alpha Gam...Yes I am, Yes I am!*
Old 02-06-2001, 10:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Our grades have been very low but with our new exec. and our great new VP Mental we have started pulling them up. One thing she does is leave little reminders and candy on our chair in meeting, everyone loves getting treats. We have also started doing proctored study hours for those girls on acedemic probation. One activity is that if you come to the study table and study for a couple of hours after we go to a movie paid for by our chapter. I hope some of those Ideas work. Proud to be a Pi Phi!

Old 02-06-2001, 11:19 AM
GreekChat Member

We used to have this funny thing called "The Kappa Support Bra."

Basically, it was this really really huge cotton support bra--I mean it was the biggest bra I have EVER seen in my life; I have no idea where the Scholarship Chair got it from!!!

Anyway, it was decorated with paint pens and stuff, and said "Kappa" (on one boob), and then "Supports You" (on the other boob). Each week at Chapter meeting, we could vote on who had a stressful week of tests or papers coming up. They would announce who won at the end of chapter, and we would all write little notes of support and encouragement to the person. Then we would pin the notes to the bra with safety pins.

After Chapter, the Scholarship Chair would take the bra with the notes pinned all over it, and then fill up the cups of the bra with goodies, like candies or sometimes KKG pencils--or anything else that we could buy in large quantities for cheap. Then, once all of this was through, the Scholarship Chair would put the bra on the door of the girl who we'd all voted for. Then she'd know how much support she had from us!

It was really a lot of fun, and really did boost morale, in a silly kind of way.

------------------
Oh, Kappa Kappa Kappa Gamma,
I'm so happy that I am a
Kappa Kappa Kappa Gamma,
Nobody knows . . . how
happy I am!
Old 02-08-2001, 08:16 PM
GreekChat Member

WOW iamsohappythatiama!!!!!

What a GREAT idea that your sorority had! I might mention that to my sorority's Scholarship Chair if you don't mind!!!!!

Is that ok? thanks!!

hehe...it might be hard to find such a large bra though
Old 02-16-2001, 10:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Hey Sammie--

No problem. Spread the love of the Scholarship Support Bra, I say!

Good luck finding such a big bra--I think our Scholarship chair got it at a medical supply type of place, actually.

Good luck!!!
Old 02-17-2001, 12:09 AM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
VP Mental Ideas...now that is something new and different, although if it catches on, we'll all have one of those

In any case, our scholarship chair found that if you say that the goal is for everyone to get a 3.2 or something, the people who are so far from there have no motivation to try. SO, what we did was make a board at our house called "Rising Stars", and each sister who raised her GPA, even if it was .01, got her name of the Rising Stars Board, and a little gift from the Scholarship Chair.

We also do study buddies, where women with the same major are assigned to each other. They help each other out with classes and stuff. And it doesn't necessarily have to be helping them study, but just calling them to remind them of a test or congratulate them on writing a kick butt paper. Study buddies work well if you have members with low GPAs who need help.

Finally, it's always good for someone from Career Development to come in and do interview workshops and resume writing workshops. This stuff is great for Seniors.

Hope it helps By the way, I love the BRA thing!! Cracked me up!