GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Phi Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 2,340
1 members and 2,339 guests
oncegreek

Old 05-07-2009, 09:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile Brother Dan Blue - Appointed to . . .

RALEIGH -- The leadership of the Wake County Democratic Party picked state Rep. Dan Blue on Wednesday to replace state Sen. Vernon Malone, who died last month.

Blue, a veteran legislator, received 52 of the 84 votes on the first ballot. He defeated Bernard Allen II, 44, who works for the State Employees Association of North Carolina, and Mills Holloway Jr., 47, the owner of a media consulting group.

By law, Gov. Beverly Perdue must follow the group's wish to appoint Blue. He will fill out the rest of Malone's term in District 14. The term runs through 2010.

The executive committee of the Wake County Democratic Party will eventually have to pick a replacement for Blue. Jack Nichols, chairman of the Wake Democratic Party, said Blue doesn't plan to resign his House seat immediately because he wants to finish some work first.

Blue, 59, a Raleigh lawyer, was first elected to the state House of Representatives in 1981. He became the first African-American speaker of the House in 1991, a position he held until the Democrats lost control in 1995. When Democrats came back into power in 1999, Blue fell one vote short of the speaker spot, losing to Jim Black.

Blue gave up his House seat in 2002 for an unsuccessful run in the Democratic primary for U.S. Senate, losing to Erskine Bowles.

Blue was reappointed to the state House in 2006 to fill the District 33 seat left vacant by the death of Rep. Bernard Allen.

Eight people had expressed interest in filling Malone's seat, but only six received nominations.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-07-2009, 10:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to psychdesire Send a message via MSN to psychdesire Send a message via Yahoo to psychdesire
Congrats to him!
Someone called me their hero today, because I refuse to get hype about graduation OR to just limit my talents to four years. I am pursuing another year of college because I feel I am not ready (skilled enough) in subjects I should be skilled in - How amazing is this
Old 05-07-2009, 11:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations to Bro. Blue on this appointment.

I had to prepare a presentation for a committee he was on when he visited my city last year. During the course of our exchange, and afterward, we got the opportunity to exchange fraternal greetings -- he is a good bruh.

Condolences to the Malone family.
~ Luke 19:10