GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma

Old 03-18-2010, 06:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I came across a Kappa badge on Ebay today where the seller wrote in the description:

NOTE: Kappa members...please do not email me telling me that this is property of the sorority...it is not and I will not respond to your emails.

I had to restrain every fiber of my being from writing a bitchy email just to spite her.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappamd View Post
I came across a Kappa badge on Ebay today where the seller wrote in the description:

NOTE: Kappa members...please do not email me telling me that this is property of the sorority...it is not and I will not respond to your emails.

I had to restrain every fiber of my being from writing a bitchy email just to spite her.
Ha, probably good that you didn't! I agree, it drove me nuts at first too. But they have that reaction for a reason, and it is most likely not due to actual Kappas contacting them prior. I'm sure some may have, but there've been some nasty things in the pin world. As noted:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetygerlily View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespink88 View Post
There's a Kappa badge right now, and even though it's not my org. I'm SO mad with what the seller put in the listing:

"This sorority pin is in very good condition. This is an older sorority pin from the Kappa Kappa Gamma house. It tests at least 10K and could be 14K gold. Comes from the Delta Phi chapter. Has the key pin with small seed pearls and attached via a small chain is the chapter letter also complete with small seed pearls. Back fastener works fine and is fully functioning. NOTE: Kappa members...please do not email me telling me that this is property of the sorority...it is not and I will not respond to your emails."
This goes a bit into the world of collectors, but things can get crazy. Some collectors have posed as a member of the Keepers to eBay sellers and were rude or obnoxious. As a result some other collectors/sellers are on the defensive and are not interested in working with us when we really do contact them. And of course there are members who are horrified to see things on eBay and contact the sellers without really knowing what's happened in the past or the actual badge rules.

But yeah, I definitely bristle when I see things like that. It's hard when some sellers feel like they have to be so defensive.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie93 View Post
Has kaokite posted in this thread? She collects Theta badges and has quite the historical collection. In addition, from what I hear, she is also very, very knowledgable on recognizing historical significance/dating of badges. However, she only comes around GC occasionally.
I'll send her an email and tell her that her presence is requested.

Old 03-19-2010, 03:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
*blush*
I honestly didn't post that to toot my own horn - I just wanted to point out that sometimes there's a reason someone sells her pin. I would have felt guilty keeping them, under the circumstances. She did email me to say that she put her pin on the ribbons of her bouquet! That made me feel wonderful!

Besides, as our open motto states, "We Live For Each Other"!
Wow Honey your "pledge" mom or whatever they were called must of really installed our motto into you lol. You are so so sweet and incredible. I am still eternally greatful to you for being such a help and encouragement to me. I also would love love love to see your pin collection as I'm sure it is absolutely stunning and I ADPi pins are my favorite ones to look at. Although I will admit I like them all.

My pin recently came in and I'll have to get a picture of it up here soon. Not old, infact its bran spankin new, but hey everyone can see my "badge trend" which I'll call a blinged outish pin on a college student budget lol. Picture later as I have class in like 7 hours (eeekkk).
Old 03-19-2010, 07:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Here's a good picture of a badge clasp. This is from a 1903 Gamma Phi Beta badge.

A beautiful Alpha Delta Phi badge from 1895. Look at the size of that emerald!

Old 03-19-2010, 09:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappamd View Post

The thing is . . . and I know it's not popular to say it . . . but legally she's right, especially if the badge is as old as she says.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:10 PM
GreekChat Member

MysticCat, I am sending you a PM.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

This is my favorite thread ever! I love all the pix of all the badges. Bring on the bling and the simply elegant...I love them all!

Gamma Phi had a badge very early in her history, so I'm guessing Alpha Phi also had a badge pretty much from her founding. I was wondering if that was also true for the NPCs that are older, esp ADPi and Phi Mu, or were badges for sororities something that developed over time?

True Lives to Live From Day to Day

Old 03-19-2010, 02:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crescent&pearls View Post
This is my favorite thread ever! I love all the pix of all the badges. Bring on the bling and the simply elegant...I love them all!

Gamma Phi had a badge very early in her history, so I'm guessing Alpha Phi also had a badge pretty much from her founding. I was wondering if that was also true for the NPCs that are older, esp ADPi and Phi Mu, or were badges for sororities something that developed over time?

ADPi and Phi Mu both have old badges from when they were the Adelphean and Philomathean societies more than 150 years ago! Maybe honeychile can tell us when the founders' of ADPi made their first badge.

As for AOII, we aren't nearly as old (only 113 years! ) but directly after our founding, our founders'
pledged our first pledge, Ann Richardson and sent her off to our jeweler to pick up their first badges.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Last edited by AOII Angel; 03-19-2010 at 02:49 PM.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

While the Adelpheans didn't have metal badges at the time of their founding, my understanding is that they did have them made by the end of 1851. When they (and the Philomatheans) attended Wesleyan College, they were very restricted in all that they did - think of a convent! They were not permitted to leave the campus, and even had to count how many students were on the front porch to see if they could join them. So, the original Adelphean symbol was ribbons, with Adelphean Society written on one, and We Live For Each Other on the other - nothing very fancy.

The badges were each made by whichever jeweler they normally used, so for the first few years, they all differed just a bit in size or gold/silver - but always having the important symbols on the diamond - the stars and clasped hands. I haven't been to the new (to me!) Memorial Headquarters to see the transition, but maybe later tonight, I'll see if I can find some pictures that my friend took.

ADPiTigerGurl, I'm thrilled that you have your own pin now, and can't wait to see which style you ordered! When you get a chance to help a sister, just pay it forward!

ETA: The pictures I thought were available are missing, but I'll keep looking. I was second-guessing myself about the Founders having pins made, when I remembered that, just last year, a descendant of Founder (Mary Evans Glass?) was initiated with an original Adelphean Founder's badge!

Last edited by honeychile; 03-19-2010 at 04:10 PM.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator

Found one!

Here's an Adelphean badge:

and the Adelphean Room in the Cannonball House, where both Alpha Delta Pi and Phi Mu had their meetings: The Adelphean Room.

Note that the guard goes the "wrong" way! IIRC, it's the owner's monogram.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:31 PM
GreekChat Member

That's awesome! I clicked around that site, Honey, and there's also a Philomathean badge... gorgeous!

Old 03-19-2010, 05:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
OMG! I have a pic of TONS of old Phi Mu badges over time from Cannon Ball House, I completely forgot. Be back with a post soon!
ETA: It's nice to have something to contribute to this thread. There is a large badge on the left of the 2nd picture. It is a replica (from what I can make out) of Philomathean badge of our lead founder. I beleive the original is at HQ, all the HQ badges are in the first pic, the rest are Cannon Ball House.

No do you see why I think our badge should be enlarged?

Last edited by BabyPiNK_FL; 03-19-2010 at 06:16 PM.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Adpi use to have two size of badge (see I learn quick) they larger one had four pearls or jewel in between the points and the smaller one has 3 pearls or jewel inbetween the points. Today the smaller is the one all members get as there is no longer an option for the size. The smaller and today's standard badge measure 13/ 16 of an inch where the larger one was 1 inch exactly ( I believe). I wish the badge was badges were arger I'd love to rock a 3 or 4 inch diamond .

Calling Honey for verification and possible pictures.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADPiTigergurl View Post
Adpi use to have two size of badge (see I learn quick) they larger one had four pearls or jewel in between the points and the smaller one has 3 pearls or jewel inbetween the points. Today the smaller is the one all members get as there is no longer an option for the size. The smaller and today's standard badge measure 13/ 16 of an inch where the larger one was 1 inch exactly ( I believe). I wish the badge was badges were arger I'd love to rock a 3 or 4 inch diamond .

Calling Honey for verification and possible pictures.
Our ADPiTigergurl speaks the truth - I'm not sure when Standard (20 jewels total) and Minature (16 jewels total) became simply the Minature as the standard. I think it was around the time that the engraved hands became raised. Jen, I'm looking for my camera to take photos of both.

I love the photos of the Philamathean Badges! I have similar ones, but I think they're at my house. What I noticed that I hadn't before was that the monogrammed guard on both the Adelphean and Philomathean Badges is the monogram for Georgia Wesleyan College! Was Mary Ann DuPont who roomed with Eugenia Tucker Fitzgerald?