GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 2,235
1 members and 2,234 guests
gatordeltapgh

Old 07-06-2010, 04:47 PM
GreekChat Member

University of Kentucky

I was wondering about the recruitment at University of Kentucky. I know it's more difficult for a SEC school, but how difficult is it actually? Forgive me for asking, but is it only based on looks? Are the chapters close knit? Any information would help. Thanks

Last edited by star_dreamer; 07-06-2010 at 04:58 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-06-2010, 07:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_dreamer View Post
I was wondering about the recruitment at University of Kentucky. I know it's more difficult for a SEC school, but how difficult is it actually? Forgive me for asking, but is it only based on looks? Are the chapters close knit? Any information would help. Thanks
Yes, SEC recruitment is very competitive. This is not because they only take the cookie cutter, beauty queens. It's impossible to tell you exactly what it takes to get a bid to a sorority, because each one has different criteria. Generally, though, they are looking for women who have good grades, activities, community service and are able to have normal conversations during recruitment. Looks do play a part, but more important is the way you present yourself. Confidence and appropriate grooming can make up for a lack of natural beauty in lots of girls.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 07-06-2010, 08:28 PM

What do you mean by chapters being "close knit?" Do you mean that different chapters get along with each other or chapter members get along with each other inside the chapter?

Some sorority chapters at UK certainly get along better with other chapters than others, but that is true everywhere. Some do more events with other sororities and some do less.

As far as being close within the chapters, that depends on what you are seeking. Chapters at UK typically have between 100-170 members in them if not more than that. It is near impossible to be close to every member in the chapter. However, pledge classes and "families" will generally bond and be closest to each other.

Hope this helps and good luck to you!
Old 07-06-2010, 11:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_dreamer View Post
Check out this thread http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...light=kentucky

Also...the search function is your friend. I am a current active member at UK (I won't name my chapter until I graduate in May, though).

UK's recruitment is not all that different from other competitive recruitments. There are threads on here about looks and having recs and these are all good for you to read.

If you're looking for reputations, you won't find those here.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Nothing to add but...

Go Cats!
Old 07-07-2010, 06:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Star Dreamer, I read your first post...you still have 2 years before you should be worried about this. But to answer your question, no sorority chooses it's new members solely on looks. What kind of sisterhood would you have if you have absolutely nothing in common but being cute?

My advice to you for the next two years:
-Stay/get involved with high school activities
-Get good grades (2 years can significantly change a GPA)
-Study hard for a good ACT/SAT score
-Apply to and get into college
Then come back and ask about a specific school's greek system. You have no guarantees of getting into University of Kentucky.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

I know I still have two years, but it's a little difficult not getting involved with all the excitement, worries, and information on greek life. I see my friends going to college and many going to UK, I hear them all talking about rush next fall, so while I know my GPA can change, I'm fairly certain it won't. My pre- ACT score was a 28 and I'm working on making it even higher. All my life I've had a 3.75-4.0 while participating in many community service activities, clubs, while having a social life. I'm not only saying this because you said it, but because many people are thinking it.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSteven View Post
Nothing to add but...

Go Cats!
Yay! Waiting for the football season to start. I'm an officer of FCCLA at my school and for most football games we sell concession!
Old 07-11-2010, 06:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydney bristow View Post
Check out this thread http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...light=kentucky

Also...the search function is your friend. I am a current active member at UK (I won't name my chapter until I graduate in May, though).

UK's recruitment is not all that different from other competitive recruitments. There are threads on here about looks and having recs and these are all good for you to read.

If you're looking for reputations, you won't find those here.
Thanks for the advice! I just read your thread and I sent a link to the girls I know who are rushing next year. I will definatly use that when my time comes!
Old 07-11-2010, 06:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThetaPrincess24 View Post
What do you mean by chapters being "close knit?" Do you mean that different chapters get along with each other or chapter members get along with each other inside the chapter?

Some sorority chapters at UK certainly get along better with other chapters than others, but that is true everywhere. Some do more events with other sororities and some do less.

As far as being close within the chapters, that depends on what you are seeking. Chapters at UK typically have between 100-170 members in them if not more than that. It is near impossible to be close to every member in the chapter. However, pledge classes and "families" will generally bond and be closest to each other.

Hope this helps and good luck to you!
I'm sorry, I probably should have been more clear. I meant to ask wether girls actually got along or not. I've heard some 'horror' stories from a friend of mine in Texas that most girls in her sorority don't get along. I wouldn't even consider joining one if that applies to UK.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
Yes, SEC recruitment is very competitive. This is not because they only take the cookie cutter, beauty queens. It's impossible to tell you exactly what it takes to get a bid to a sorority, because each one has different criteria. Generally, though, they are looking for women who have good grades, activities, community service and are able to have normal conversations during recruitment. Looks do play a part, but more important is the way you present yourself. Confidence and appropriate grooming can make up for a lack of natural beauty in lots of girls.
Thanks, your reply helps alot. I try to disregard the stereotypes and I know there isn't a formula to find out my chances, but sometimes I worry. I might want to work on the normal conversations part a little haha. My brain works a mile a minute.