GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 2,199
0 members and 2,199 guests
No Members online

Old 07-12-2010, 03:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Post I just need a little help in being a prospective..

First, I would like to say hi to any and everyone who is or will be answering this post. I stumbled upon this website as a prospective in researching XYZ Sorority, Inc. I'm a little afraid to release any info such a name and things of that nature because I understand and truly respect the needs of discretion of all of the D9 organizations. From reading past posts, I can see that the women of the organizations are so nice, are in a position to, and are willing to help. From what I understand, the individual doesn't choose the organization, the organization chooses the individual. I've read about being turned down and those who continue to try even after a letter of rejection. I don't know when my school is going to have MIP but I have taken the time to perfect my community service, write my letter of interest, beef up my GPA (now 3.7), and researched until I could no longer see straight to make sure that this is what I wanted to do with my life and I am so beyond sure that it is in my heart. Although, I am doing these things for myself (I want to attend Georgetown for law school and it's a tough school to get into.), I don't think it hurts to make myself look good on paper for this sorority, also. I just want to be prepared in case the opportunity presents itself. I'm afraid of the interview process and other things that go along with presenting myself in the hopes of being chosen. However, I don't have the courage to ask in person (as of right now) because of my severe fear of being outed as someone who wants to pursue membership and/or being rejected because they know I'm interested. I don't have any family in the sorority that I would like to join but does it matter where I get my feedback from? Is it okay to practice the interview process with those active members? Or should the books and website suffice and I just completely rely on chance when it comes to being face to face with the women of this sorority? I like to be prepared but there is a thin line between confidence and cockiness. Please help me if you can. It would be GREATLY appreciated. I apologize if this is entirely too long. I'm just really nervous.

Last edited by lady12; 07-12-2010 at 05:21 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-12-2010, 05:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady12 View Post
First, I would like to say hi to any and everyone who is or will be answering this post. I stumbled upon this website as a prospective in researching XYZ Sorority, Inc. I'm a little afraid to release any info such a name and things of that nature because I understand and truly respect the needs of discretion of all of the D9 organizations. From reading past posts, I can see that the women of the organizations are so nice, are in a position to, and are willing to help. From what I understand, the individual doesn't choose the organization, the organization chooses the individual. I've read about being turned down and those who continue to try even after a letter of rejection. I don't know when my school is going to have MIP but I have taken the time to perfect my community service, write my letter of interest, beef up my GPA (now 3.7), and researched until I could no longer see straight to make sure that this is what I wanted to do with my life and I am so beyond sure that it is in my heart. Although, I am doing these things for myself (I want to attend Georgetown for law school and it's a tough school to get into.), I don't think it hurts to make myself look good on paper for this sorority, also. I just want to be prepared in case the opportunity presents itself. I'm afraid of the interview process and other things that go along with presenting myself in the hopes of being chosen. However, I don't have the courage to ask in person (as of right now) because of my severe fear of being outed as someone who wants to pursue membership and/or being rejected because they know I'm interested. I don't have any family in the sorority that I would like to join but does it matter where I get my feedback from? Is it okay to practice the interview process with those active members? Or should the books and website suffice and I just completely rely on chance when it comes to being face to face with the women of this sorority? I like to be prepared but there is a thin line between confidence and cockiness. Please help me if you can. It would be GREATLY appreciated. I apologize if this is entirely too long. I'm just really nervous.
You can gain a great deal of information by reading the posts in the forum of your sorority of interests. I am afraid that you won't get more information than that. If you cannot approach members in real life, how can you expect to bond with them for life? *this is a rhetorical question*
Old 07-12-2010, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

I think it's the whole thing about discretion. I'm not a shy person but I do respect the NPHC as an organization and how they do things. However, I feel that talking to them as a friend is different from talking to them as a perspective. They may not be any older than I am but there is a certain respect due to members of the sorority that I am attempting to join. I'm scared of crossing that line. That's all. Other than that, I've done all the research that I can do and have learned all that a non-member is allowed to know. It's just my approach to my friends that I am worried about. I've attended events even though it just looks like I'm going to support them. Should I just bring it up casually with an individual friend or pull them to the side as a group and talk to them all?
Old 07-13-2010, 02:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady12 View Post
You are right to be cautious about revealing personal information and discretion is key. As for looking good on paper, that's great but you also need to attend the org's events and programs and introduce yourself to members. You can look perfect on paper but if the members don't know you at all or don't think you'd be a good fit for their chapter and organization, you may not be selected for membership. So you'll have to get over the fear of making your interest known and rejection is a part of life. And don't focus so much on friends you already have in the organization since I doubt they are the only ones that will decide on whether or not to extend membership to you. Don't overthink things and don't get ahead of yourself. Everything you need to know will be told to you at the appropriate time if you decide to pursue membership in any organization. Good Luck!

Last edited by rhoyaltempest; 07-13-2010 at 02:47 AM.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you so much for your response. I'm going to take that into mind.