GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,468
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, dizzycmaarleyy5
» Online Users: 1,445
0 members and 1,445 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2001, 09:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking Rush at UCSC

Rush starts tomorrow night here at the relatively non Greek campus of UC Santa Cruz, and I'm so excited! My school has one non ethnic interest national sorority, and one non ethnic interest national fraternity. So, I'm going to be rushing Gamma Phi Beta. I know they're international but you all know what I mean. There's one multicultural sorority that is local but I don't know a whole lot about them. Point being, I've hung out with lots of the Gamma Phi girls and I totally feel comfy and happy to be with them. I'm not super close with many of them but I feel like this is going to work for me. As some of you may know, I rushed last spring and didn't get in, but I was encouraged to rush again this year. My friend in Gamma Phi told me it was because not enough of the girls got to know me well enough. So, I know what to work on this time around and I hope all goes well. I'm super nervous. I don't know what to wear, and I'm just in general freakin out! Here's the agenda:
Monday night: Info night, get to know the girls, etc
Tuesday night: Sisterhood social night, make something special with the girls, I'm guessing it's something for the philanthropy.
Wednesday night: Olympics. Hanging out with Delta Omega Chi (that's the local frat, and Theta Chi is the national one) for fun and games.
Thursday and Friday are to be announced....I know Friday is only if you get in, so hopefully this Friday will be a busy night for me! Any last minute tips or advice? I'm going to be so terribly bummed if I don't get in. There's no point in negative thinking though, so I'm going to try to stay cheerful. I'm going to be posting up a storm as soon as things get going, so stay tuned!

Last edited by wishinhopin; 08-25-2002 at 10:36 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-23-2001, 10:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SparkliiQTMTSU Send a message via Yahoo to SparkliiQTMTSU
best of luck to you! Have fun! Keep us posted.

Nichole
Old 09-23-2001, 11:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
Best of luck wishin! You have a local called Delta Omega Chi at UCSC?? We have a local fraternity of the same name at my school in PA! Wonder if either of them know

Have fun and keep us posted!
Old 09-23-2001, 11:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking sweetie

stay in touch...
you are in our thoughts..
cheers
mmcat
:>

Old 09-24-2001, 01:15 AM
GreekChat Member

GOOD LUCK!!!! I just visited UC Santa Cruz, it's very pretty! Wow, I didn't realize there were so many CA rushees on GC!! How awesome! Best of luck sweetie!
Old 09-24-2001, 01:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking Best Wishes!!

Good luck to you! I think it is wonderful that you are giving it a second chance. My best advice is:

* Smile
* Relax
* Be yourself
* Have fun

I'll be anxiously awaiting your recruitment story. I am wishing you all the best (and more)...

Jen
Old 09-24-2001, 03:23 AM

Talking Wooo! Go Banana Slugs!!

Best of luck with Rush at Gamma Phi Beta.
They are a fine sorority!
Old 09-24-2001, 03:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Question

So this is something that has been nagging at the back of my mind for a while now...if I get into Gamma Phi, am I still going to have time for school, a job, and my non Greek friends? I am so completely positively sure I want to go greek except for that one doubt, and I want to go into this experience with 100% of my energy behind it. Have you all managed to balance it ok? One of the girls I met in rush last year told me that she just couldn't find the time to hang out with any of her friends that weren't in Gamma Phi, and I don't want to do that to myself or any of my absolutely amazing friends. Maybe I just have cold feet....I dunno I dunno! I'm trying not to stress about a problem that I might not even need to deal with. Thanks for reading everyone, I'll keep you updated.
Old 09-24-2001, 09:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AOIIAngel
I will tell you this much, I had two jobs, one in a restuarant and one in a doctors office, took 12 hours and still had time for my sisters and my two best non-greek friends. Believe it or not, you dont spend every waking second with your sisters, but you will have plenty of time for everything you need to do! Just don't stress out about it, cause that is what makes it worse. And as long as your friends and sisters understand everthing going on in your life, they will help out too! Best of luck!
Old 09-24-2001, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Wishinhopin,

You will have plenty of time for outside activities, especially academics. Don't worry. Greek life stresses the importance of balancing commitments.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 09-24-2001, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Thanks for the advice and encouragement everyone! I'm going to go out there and hope for the best, I'm sure things will work out like they're supposed to. I got an email from my friend in Gamma Phi and she said things in it like "I really hope you're coming out to rush this week" and "I'll put in lots of good words for you". So that was encouraging. More later this evening!
Old 09-24-2001, 04:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to maggieaxid
You will have time for everything and everyone. I ended up making more friends in other organizations, doing better in school, and held down a job waitressing. It is all very possible and you will look back and miss every minute of it!
Good luck!
Smile, and let it be fun!
Old 09-24-2001, 07:29 PM

Good luck with rush!

You will have time for everything. During my senior year I managed to juggle a VERY demanding academic program, my sorority, Panhel (I was my sorority's rep), a singing group, my fiance, and I know I'm missing something... but I still had time to hang out with my friends that weren't in my sorority. If it's important to you, you will find the time.
Old 09-24-2001, 08:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up have a ball

relax and let it happen.
you should be genius.
have a blast.
mmcat
Old 09-25-2001, 01:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile

So about an hour ago I got back from the info night for Gamma Phi. It was really nice , and I had a good time. All the girls were super sweet and I feel like I got to know alot of them better than last time. With some of them I felt really insecure though, so I'm a little worried about that. I just don't want to be a part of a group where I feel not as good as everyone else you know? I think I'm just insecure because things aren't going well at all with my crush. It's very frustrating, but that is another story altogether. I saw my friend who emailed me and she gave me a huge hug and then was like, "oops, I'm not supposed to do that, because we're supposed to treat all of the girls the same!" But I was happy to see her nontheless. I wore a knee length black skirt, a maroon nice top from the gap, a black cardigan, and a long black coat also from the gap. Oh, and my Steve Madden mary jane heels. I looked super cute except that it started pouring halfway there! We saw a skit where it was like the dating game with all these Greek goddess's for Hercules to choose from, and of course he chose the Gamma girl! It was silly but fun. And then there was a slide show and some talk about the philanthropy and socials, etc etc. And ohmygosh they had the best snacks ever, I had to restrain myself from eating alot! Alot of girls said they were really happy to see me again, so that made me happy. More tomorrow night after we have the sisterhood social.
Closed Thread