GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 1,415
0 members and 1,415 guests
No Members online

Old 07-28-2010, 12:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Could I go through Membership Intake

I am pursuing a divine nine fraternity and the minimum gpa is 2.5 and I have a 2.492 do you think they would be able to make an exception since im only .008 away
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-28-2010, 07:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebest09 View Post
I am pursuing a divine nine fraternity and the minimum gpa is 2.5 and I have a 2.492 do you think they would be able to make an exception since im only .008 away

Sorry homie -- grades are the one thing we can't budge on. Good luck to you as you work hard toward better grades.

By the way -- falsifying a transcript will get you expelled from school, your membership in an organization revoked, and depending on the state, might even land you in jail. DO NOT TAKE THE RISK, even if you know somebody who can "fix" a grade for you.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Like Sen said, you are out of luck.

Since you are point .008 away I suggest you get yourself a couple of A's to pull that up so you can.

Don't know if you are going into your Sophomore year, but if so you can always be prepped for a possible Spring line (not every chapter has the ability to cross lines per semester).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0Xa4bHcJu8
Old 07-28-2010, 09:55 AM
Banned

To be honest, there are instances where GPAs have been rounded up. This doesn't happen for every chapter and there are organizations with chapters that are more prone to round up than others. It's a factor of the GPA distribution of the pool of applicants, the GPA distribution of the chapter, and what the chapter (and local and national offices) will tolerate. BUT, WE CAN'T FORESEE THE FUTURE AND TELL YOU WHAT THE OUTCOME WILL BE IN YOUR CASE.

Disclaimer:
Grades are extremely important and there are unfortunate circumstances where students don't reach their maximum potential (i.e. family problems, illness, depression, etc.). There are also circumstances that are completely within the student's control (i.e. laziness). The key is to address these issues and reach a better YOU so that you can hopefully reach membership in a frat. A lot of people have to wait to pursue membership or don't get accepted the first time(s) they try. There's a reason why NPHC orgs don't restrict applications on the basis of year in college and age during and post-college. Just know that your GPA will still be a factor if you wait a couple of years and pursue graduate/alumni membership. Good luck.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
To be honest, there are instances where GPAs have been rounded up. This doesn't happen for every chapter and there are organizations with chapters that are more prone to round up than others. It's a factor of the GPA distribution of the pool of applicants, the GPA distribution of the chapter, and what the chapter (and local and national offices) will tolerate. BUT, WE CAN'T FORESEE THE FUTURE AND TELL YOU WHAT THE OUTCOME WILL BE IN YOUR CASE.

Disclaimer:
Grades are extremely important and there are unfortunate circumstances where students don't reach their maximum potential (i.e. family problems, illness, depression, etc.). There are also circumstances that are completely within the student's control (i.e. laziness). The key is to address these issues and reach a better YOU so that you can hopefully reach membership in a frat. A lot of people have to wait to pursue membership or don't get accepted the first time(s) they try. There's a reason why NPHC orgs don't restrict applications on the basis of year in college and age during and post-college. Just know that your GPA will still be a factor if you wait a couple of years and pursue graduate/alumni membership. Good luck.
Not in SGRho. If the transcript does not report a cumulative 2.5 or better, it's not going down. As it is, a 2.5 is nothing to write home about, which is why there are instances where a chapter may get permission/approval to raise the GPA beyond a 2.5.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:50 AM
Banned

He doesn't want to be an SGRho. He also doesn't want to be in my sorority which now has a 2.75 minimum gpa.

Whether or not the frat that he's interested in can or will round up is something that he needs to figure out.

Last edited by DrPhil; 07-28-2010 at 10:55 AM.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
He doesn't want to be an SGRho. He also doesn't want to be in my sorority which now has a 2.75 minimum gpa.

Whether or not the frat that he's interested in can or will round up is something that he needs to figure out.
LOL! I thought you were implying that all of us have incidents of rounding off the GPA. And congrats on the higher GPA.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

And that is a huge gamble because while I have heard of some rounding up, it does not guarantee membership, nor any possible University restrictions.

Of course I'm saying this based on limited info that was presented (like school he plans on trying to cross at.)

Also some chapters you may make the cut nationally, but chapter-wise you may get rejected (unless you are already tight with the current members of the org.)

I know the Alpha's from our campus it was 3.0 unless they wanted to make an exception for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoyaltempest View Post
LOL! I thought you were implying that all of us have incidents of rounding off the GPA. And congrats on the higher GPA.
That reminds me of a topic I was debating about posting.

Last edited by BluPhire; 07-28-2010 at 11:28 AM.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluPhire View Post
...while I have heard of some rounding up....
That's the only point that I was making.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
That's the only point that I was making.
Sorry, meant that as a piggyback off your comment.

Old 07-28-2010, 05:34 PM
GreekChat Member

I want to join kappa alpha psi. My current university you only need a 2.0 to go through intake. There were some akas at my school who didn't have a 2.5 and crossed. I figured the 2.5 was a soft minimum

I'm also going into my junior year

Last edited by thebest09; 07-28-2010 at 05:37 PM. Reason: None
Old 07-28-2010, 05:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I want to join kappa alpha psi. My current university you only need a 2.0 to go through intake. There were some akas at my school who didn't have a 2.5 and crossed. I figured the 2.5 was a soft minimum

I'm also going into my junior year
So who do you think you should ask about this?

Hint: Greekchat is not the right answer.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
So who do you think you should ask about this?

Hint: Greekchat is not the right answer.
No need to be rude
Old 07-28-2010, 05:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
NO WAY!
Old 07-28-2010, 05:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redemption View Post
NO WAY!
Who are you?