GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 1,935
0 members and 1,935 guests
No Members online

Old 05-05-2005, 03:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MUGreek06
I would like to beg to differ, and say that it is possible to be involved in SAI, APO, a social sorority, be a double-major premed, and hold a job. I am extremely active in my sorority (I'm VP Intellect) and with Panhellenic stuff, and I'll be a Rho Gamma (or what every your campus calls them) next year.. I'm president of Order of Omega. I have held a leadership position in APO (secretary). I have been involved with other professional organizations on campus (I'll be treasurer of ACS in the fall). I am in several honorary organizations (Sigma Zeta, Alpha Epsilon Delta, Alpha Lambda Delta, Phi Kappa Phi). I am a double major- music and chemistry- as well as being premed. Usually I work 2 jobs, totaling around 15 hours a week (because I'm not work study, I can't get an on-campus job that I can work more than 7 hours a week at). Do I have to make choices? Sure. Does that mean that I am any less dedicated or any less of a sister to my sorority? No. The only semester I have not been around for as much was during the semester I took the MCAT. That semester, I was the girl who did the bare minimum. However, the only reason was because I was taking the MCAT (which I personally feel is a good reason because the best way to describe going through that is that it was hell and I'm so thankful that I had my sisters there to support me and understand what I was trying to do), not because I had overextended myself.

I feel like I'm bragging about the stuff I do, which isn't the point. The point is that it can be done. I went through formal recruitment as a sophomore, while being involved in almost all of these organizations. On my campus, girls who are involved are generally the ones who are the "most wanted." I got a bid to my first choice. Regardless, instead of saying that it can't be done at all, we need to make sure this PNM is aware of realities on certain campuses.

ps. congrats to xomichelle for her acceptance and decision on med school!
Yay for you, do you want a cookie? No one ever said it can't be done. I could go through my resume and all that junk too, and it would be just as long if not longer, but there's not really a need. Yeah you could do it, yes I could do it and many people can. BUT NOT EVERYONE CAN DO THAT. There's a lot of things to consider.

NO ONE SAID IT CAN'T BE DONE.

NO ONE IS TELLING HER NOT TO DO IT

We're only pointing out the realities and things to consider.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:56 PM

I'm going to say as an APO alum that degree of involvement in these groups varies GREATLY from campus to campus. Some places (sad to say) APO is just a resume builder where the members do the bare minimum...some places it's MORE time consuming than being in a social GLO. Then there are about a kajillion degrees in between. I don't know about SAI, but from what I've read on here that can happen with them too. So the fact that she's in two other Greek groups might not be as mind boggling as it seems.

Plus it depends on the size of the school how time consuming the other activities she's mentioned are. It's really hard to say whether this is a good idea or a horrendous idea without knowing how many hours per week everything else takes up.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
I'm going to say as an APO alum that degree of involvement in these groups varies GREATLY from campus to campus. Some places (sad to say) APO is just a resume builder where the members do the bare minimum...some places it's MORE time consuming than being in a social GLO. Then there are about a kajillion degrees in between. I don't know about SAI, but from what I've read on here that can happen with them too. So the fact that she's in two other Greek groups might not be as mind boggling as it seems.
You're right. I just kind of assumed that her SAI and APO chapters are as active as a social sorority would be. It all depends on that. Singer 123, how active ARE are your SAI and APO chapters? That would change alot of our answers.

Lakers Nation.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MUGreek06

On my campus, girls who are involved are generally the ones who are the "most wanted."
I think this is the best point. I really depends on the school. I first said what i said just to point out that it could be bad. But i think that talking to women already in the greek system and finding out what the climate at her school is and how the women at her school will view her involvement.
Debbie

DITTO!!!
Old 05-06-2005, 10:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JocelynC
You're right. I just kind of assumed that her SAI and APO chapters are as active as a social sorority would be. It all depends on that. Singer 123, how active ARE are your SAI and APO chapters? That would change alot of our answers.
If this is the school I think it is, SAI is extremely active (has a house, is part of the local greek council, sponsors campus-wide events, etc..).
Old 05-07-2005, 02:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RedRoseSAI
If this is the school I think it is, SAI is extremely active (has a house, is part of the local greek council, sponsors campus-wide events, etc..).

If SAI is part of the local greek council and has a house, can a women join a social GLO. I am just curious as to what campuses might do cause my school did not have big orgs other than PHC and NIC, i mean, i was in APO, but a lot of my chapter was also in sorority cause APO did not have a hosue and there was no live in rule and was not part of the same council.

Maybe i am not making too much sence. I am just using APO as an example since i am not a music person i don't really know much about SAI, I had a few freinds who were in TBS. But TBS was not that big and many members were also in sororities.
Old 05-08-2005, 04:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi again everyone! Gee, thanks for all the responses. This rush stuff is so complicated! Anyway, feel free to keep giving advice. I found out this week that I'll be in Americorps this summer for 8 weeks, and my deployment starts in ten days. Hopefully, I'll be able to get on every once in a while! Thanks everyone!
Old 05-15-2005, 04:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by alphaalpha
I think this is the best point. I really depends on the school. I first said what i said just to point out that it could be bad. But i think that talking to women already in the greek system and finding out what the climate at her school is and how the women at her school will view her involvement.
Debbie

DITTO!!!
I know this is a little late, but congratulations, (soon to be) Dr. XOMichelle!!!
Old 05-30-2005, 11:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Here's another opinion and while I have no idea how your campus' Greek system works, here's what I would consider if I were in one of your school's GLOs considering you as a PNM.

1) You've shown a strong committment to academics through your GPA with double majors and Pre-med. That's a big plus. But Pre-med will only get more demanding each year, so I would question how active you would be next year or the year after. Especially considering all the other activities you're involved in.

2) With all your involvement, you have demonstrated excellent time management skills. Another plus.

3) Volunteering at a hospital shows strong personal committment to philanthropy. Plus.

4) Being on SGA Exec shows great leadership skills. Same thing for the newspaper. Every GLO I know of would enjoy having someone representing them and their ideals in both organizations, so plus.

(Side note: If you're considering dropping any activities, SGA would be the last one I would choose. The GLO's probably would like to have you in office. More importantly for your resume when it comes time to job hunt or apply to med school, this is the most impressive. At least that's my personal opinion.)

5) You're working 3 jobs to pay for school. It's a plus that you are responsible enough to handle your finances, but there's a big minus coming. Being in a sorority can be expensive. I have to assume you would need to work additional hours to cover the cost placing more demands on your time.

I can't tell you if the "plusses" out way the "minuses" or vice versa. Simply they are things that a GLO will probably discuss and some things you should consider. Especially the financial part.

Best of luck!