GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 1,608
0 members and 1,608 guests
No Members online

Old 06-09-2008, 09:11 PM

Human Resources

I have questions for those of you who have current/previous experience in HR.

How did you get into the field? I rarely see job postings for HR positions so I figure they're mostly internal hires.

Did you have specialized education? ie MBA/HRM? Is it worth it to get specialized training, either a BA or MBA?

What are your typical responsibilities?

What are some pros/cons of the job? Professionally speaking mostly. I'm sure it sucks to listen to Lawsuit Lucy drone on for the millionth time about how some looked at her funny.

I took one HR course (the only one offered) in school and it sparked an interest. I'm still trying to find my career path so I thought I'd pick the brain of our lovely GC experts.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-10-2008, 06:06 PM
GreekChat Member

How did you get into the field? I rarely see job postings for HR positions so I figure they're mostly internal hires.

I graduated college with a Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration. I was a management major with a minor in Human Resources (at my college that called them "certificates", but it was basically like a minor). I started out as an Office Manager who assisted the HR Dept. at my first job after college. Soon after, I moved up in their HR department. Now I work for my father's company, handling their HR work... but I worked for about 2 years at another company doing HR.

I can't speak for all states or all companies, but in my experience, I have seen quite a few HR postings out there. Some may be hidden under a heading of "administrative work" or something to the like. Also, SHRM (the Society for Human Resource Management) has postings in HR arranged by state and level of experience from entry level to upper management.

Did you have specialized education? ie MBA/HRM? Is it worth it to get specialized training, either a BA or MBA?

Like I said above, right now I only have a Bachelor's degree. However, I have also passed the PHR exam (Professional in Human Resources) which alot of companies prefer you to have but it is not required by most.

Having higher credentials will put you a step above the others in the job pool. However, I would suggest that you try to get some work experience before you go get your master's degree.

What are your typical responsibilities?

HR covers a broad range of things, depending on your title and your specific job description, your job duties will vary quite a bit. Try looking at www.shrm.org for some general ideas.

What are some pros/cons of the job?

Again, these will vary depending on what area of HR you work in. For me, I love the hiring process and interviewing applicants. Plus I also get to plan all of the fun employee gatherings at my job (however, this isn't just an HR duty...).

The cons are pretty evident in this economy... having to make the decisions to reduce our workforce and being the one to break the news to the employee. It is never fun, and I don't think it will ever be something I get used to...

Anyhow, good luck in whatever path you decide to take and let me know if I can help you at all!
Old 06-10-2008, 06:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I was an HR Generalist for about a year. I fell into it by accident: I had actually interviewed for another job, but the GM really thought it would be a good fit. I did like it, but the pay was not very good.

Most of those at my current employer company were psychology majors; some now have Master's Degrees and one has a PhD. We also have two that are licensed social workers. Many of them did internships during the summer or as part time jobs (some did it pro bono). My one friend got her position because she spoke several languages and understood the Work Visa process (we employ a lot of people who have just finished their PhDs in the US and aren't ready to go home)

Responsibilities can vary on the size of the organization. At a small company, you could be doing everything from interviewing and placing ads, to benefits and employee mediation. At larger firms, you will probably have one specific role.

Pros: You know a lot of people in the company and most of them will like you.
Cons: Legal Issues and RIFs.