GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Lambda > Lambda Chi Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,513
Threads: 115,514
Welcome to our newest member, baptrickmpitta8
» Online Users: 2,428
0 members and 2,428 guests
No Members online

Old 02-05-2007, 02:44 PM
GreekChat Member

High Rho vs. Alumni Association

This is a little long, but please read it anyway.

The C&SC are not the only documents that could use revision. There are continual conflicts when it comes to undergraduate/alumni relations and responsibilities. Who plans Founder's Day? Who keeps alumni records? Who publishes the alumni newsletter? Here are some reasons why conflicts abound:

Founder's Day -

From Alumni Association Guidelines for Operations. "Sponsoring alumni events and activities. These events can be split into two categories: smaller types of events and major events. Examples of major Alumni Association events, and thus ones which require more planning include:
Homecoming Weekend
Founder's Day or other banquet"
"In the planning of alumni events, an Alumni Association should take the role of...overseeing the scheduling of the event and mailings."...but... "It should be noted that a chapter-alumni program which...hosts alumni events and organizes other alumni related programming is the primary responsibility of the undergraduate chapter. Therefore, an Alumni Association should not 'take over' the chapter's responsibilities, but instead, should assist and help monitor the chapter's alumni program through the High Rho."

From Code IV-25 Duties of the High Rho. (c) "Working with other elected or appointed officers of the Chapter/Colony, in contacting, planning, and preparing for alumni functions such as homecoming, alumni weekend, Founder's Day, and commencement."

[So the High Rho does the preparation and planning, but the AA oversees and monitors the scheduling. That's pretty dicey.]

Alumni Database -

From Alumni Association Guidelines for Operations. "Since the Alumni Association typically communicates on a regular basis with its alumni, it should also maintain the alumni address records. Secretary - Maintains and updates alumni records. Vice president - Assists in maintaining updated alumni records and other data."

From Code IV-25 Duties of the High Rho. (b) "Keeping an up-to-date address file of his Chapter's/Colony's alumni membership."

Alumni Newsletter -

From Alumni Association Guidelines for Operations. "Maintaining alumni communications and records via newsletters, mailings, directories, etc. The major content of the Alumni Association's newsletter should be of profiles of other alumni. It is important to note that any Alumni Association mailing or publication should not compete with the chapter-alumni newsletter, but instead the two should complement each other." "The general policy for chapter-alumni newsletters is 80% of the publication should be alumni oriented, while only 20% should be undergraduate oriented." [This is self-contradictory within the same document]

From Code IV-25 Duties of the High Rho. (a) Soliciting news notes from his Chapter's/Colony's alumni, to be given to his Chapter's/Colony's Editor and Correspondent for inclusion in the Chapter's/Colony's newsletters, and the Cross & Crescent.

It seems it's an ongoing situation that: the Rho doesn't plan FD so the AA has to, or the AA plans FD and the Rho feels his job is being undermined, or the Rho plans FD and alumni feel they have no input, or no one plans FD, or both try to plan FD and end up butting heads. Inevitably, someone ends up feeling slighted - because there is no clear policy.

Right now with my chapter, the alumni database is being kept by both the undergraduates and the alumni, but no one is really in charge of it - because there is no clear policy.

Who's supposed to tell the alumni about the chapter? In past years the AA was putting out newsletters primarily about alumni. Presently, the Rho puts out a newsletter primarily about alumni, and requesting more info on alumni. Why doesn't the Rho write more about the chapter, such as who the officers are, who the new initiates are, where everyone is living, when elections are held, what the chapter is doing, instead of telling us about us? He's following his job description - because there is no clear policy.

Active/alumni relations are tenuous enough as it is without additional conflicts. If I may make a suggestion, why not write a "High Rho/Alumni Association Manual", and distribute copies to both? Perhaps that would eliminate these, and other, misunderstandings and we can all be (literally) "on the same page" at all times. It might also encourage the creation of new alumni associations for those chapters that don't currently have one.

Something to think about.

In ZAX,
Jono

"Whenever people agree with me, I always feel I must be wrong."...Oscar Wilde

Last edited by JonoBN41; 02-05-2007 at 02:50 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-05-2007, 03:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Taken from Brother Jonos above post.

"Active/alumni relations are tenuous enough as it is without additional conflicts. If I may make a suggestion, why not write a "High Rho/Alumni Association Manual", and distribute copies to both? Perhaps that would eliminate these, and other, misunderstandings and we can all be (literally) "on the same page" at all times. It might also encourage the creation of new alumni associations for those chapters that don't currently have one."

Something to think about.

I could not agree more.

We did not have a True Alumni Association until last year at the revitialization of LX Z.

The job of the Rho is Alumni Relations and therefore should be in contact with the President of the AA, if there is one in place.
While there is a need for a "Listing of Alumni" at the Zeta level, it is the overall responseability of the AA to keep Alumni updated for AA events.
"It is the responesability of the RHO to keep them informed of events.
They can put this out in a email listing to keep the updates of those, not have the AA decide what or be run the AA. Any school events that can include are to be run by the Active Chapter not the AA".

While we as Alums are a major part of the Zeta, we do not run the Zeta or plan the functions where Alums will have a chance to come back to. It should be coordinated with the President of the AA so dates time and plans can be put into place.

The RHO should be in contact with whom ever is in charge of the AA and try to coordinate between themselves.

The Officership of Rho has been left as a minor role and shoudl be considered stronger in Alumni relations, not make the decision for all Alumni members.

Telling the Alumni this is how it will be, will allienate the Alumni! There will be no participation, aide with money or time.

Question?

Days back, there was a item called for us,"LambdaGram" that was a chapter update every semester with dates of events and info about an Active and an Alum printed and sent out.

Now, I started as AA President : AlumdaGram.

Electonics make this so much easier, but there still a a major need of working together.

Longer than Jonos, but I feel exactly like He does with this situation.

I told our HA remember when you make a schedual make it for the Alumni when it comes to FD or Homecoming!

You need to plan not for the Actives, but the Alums. Alums are the ones coming back to visit. They will be the ones who will spend money and work with you.

Be Good To Alums! They will be Good To You!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 02-05-2007, 05:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to EM1843
I think helping each chapter establish an AA would be a significant step, muchless having defined duties. As with most of our guidance documents, they could go for a significant revision.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Guys: If you PM & leave me your e-mail address, I can forward a .pdf from a workshop I did @ GA04 in Indy ("Alumni Associations & Housing Corps. 101"). It contains material retrieved from lambdachi.org (although I can't seem to find the old .pdf online now).

What you'll be getting is a new, improved version. Keep in mind when you receive it that it's been "genericized" because I'm going to do it for the MGCA meeting here in Chicago later this month. I don't want to subject our interfraternal brothers & sisters (or their advisors) to too much LCA stuff...

In ZAX,
BF

"People the world over have always been more impressed by the power of our example than by the example of our power."
Old 02-06-2007, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: i am from sikeston, mo. chapter is in cape girardeau, mo
Send a message via AIM to DeltaPhizeta332
Our chapter is only from 1989 and we had a few problems so basically all of our Alumni come from 2000. With that being said they are all too young and recently removed and far away for us to form an Alumni Association or any type of board for alumni. Our city is small so once people graduate they move away.

Our High Rho does Founder's Day, our Newsletter, the website and everything. What we have been starting on is a Alumni Golf Tournament that they Alumni have basically been in charge of and all we do is fork over some money and get Actives to get involved as much as they can.

Some chapters are forunate enouhg to have extreme alumni support financially and in accordance with attendance. However other chapters are young or small or cut ties with Alumni due to the changes in technology over the years. Headquarters has names and numbers of every single person ever initiated at our chapter. However, any names from before 2003 are parents names or from locations where alumni no longer live and due to lack of progress with past High Rho's some of those names are essantially lost forever.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to john1082 Send a message via AIM to john1082 Send a message via MSN to john1082 Send a message via Yahoo to john1082
Lost alumni

The rewrite of the C & SC may address some of the ambiguity regarding who does what to / for whom Rho vs. ALumni Ass'n vs. House Corp, etc.

If I were to go looking for the lost guys I might start with a snail mail mailing; send a card, and on the back ask parents top pass along to their son. Send it first class with a return address and you'll get some returns - these will be confirmed lost guys.

Ask you alumni to drop the Rho an e-mail - have a simple e-mail address, like BerkeleyAlumni@???.com Be sure to collect their class and / or zeta #. Make sure that this e-mail address stays active FOREVER!!!

Don't use some silly e-mail address like O_U_8_1_2_Dude@sk8tr.com as that will be an instant turn-off. It is time to grow up.

As you build an e-mail list use the zeta numbers that you collect to put together a list of 'natural friends' that is, folks who were in the chapter at the same time. Few alumni will cut themselves off from ALL contact with their friends; use these folks in close zeta number proximity to track down the lost guys with similar numbers.

That is how this treasure hunter would do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaPhizeta332 View Post
Our chapter is only from 1989 and we had a few problems so basically all of our Alumni come from 2000. With that being said they are all too young and recently removed and far away for us to form an Alumni Association or any type of board for alumni. Our city is small so once people graduate they move away.

Our High Rho does Founder's Day, our Newsletter, the website and everything. What we have been starting on is a Alumni Golf Tournament that they Alumni have basically been in charge of and all we do is fork over some money and get Actives to get involved as much as they can.

Some chapters are forunate enouhg to have extreme alumni support financially and in accordance with attendance. However other chapters are young or small or cut ties with Alumni due to the changes in technology over the years. Headquarters has names and numbers of every single person ever initiated at our chapter. However, any names from before 2003 are parents names or from locations where alumni no longer live and due to lack of progress with past High Rho's some of those names are essantially lost forever.

GreekChat.com - The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network
Old 02-06-2007, 04:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaPhizeta332 View Post

You are absolutely correct about some Zetas having more Alumni. But it is still the same problem with them. Getting Alums getting involved as Brother Jono refered to.

We have a Brother who likes to use the 80/20 % theme. @20 do, 80 do not.
This is much more true than one beleives. I have worked for over 10 years to build a email listing base and still have only 1/3 of Alumni members.

Having a good Rho is "GOOD", when He doesn't then there is a break down between Alumni and Zeta. That is why I keep saying more emphasize should be put on the Officership Position.

I do like the idea of Rho doing FD, White Rose, or Homecoming for Alumni!

Remember if possible He should stay in contact with with The Alumni President to coordinate things if there is one availabile.

RHO, is supposed to keep the Alumni updated about the Chapter.

Alumni President is ment to help disiminate info for Alumni Functions within the Alums.

It is a two way street isn't it? Work with each other as some do not seem to want to do.

As I tell our Alpha, have us informed.
Why:

Alumni donate Money.

Alumni donate time.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 02-07-2007, 05:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post
RHO, is supposed to keep the Alumni updated about the Chapter.
Alumni President is ment to help disiminate info for Alumni Functions within the Alums.
That's what I thought, but the High Rho Manual suggests an, "Alumni newsletter published twice per year which includes a ratio of 80% alumni news and 20% chapter news."

"The content of your chapter-alumni newsletter should be about 80% alumni-related news and only 20% chapter news. The reasoning is that alumni want to read about other alumni. The typical alumnus does not care who the current associate members are as much as he does about one of his friends from his undergraduate days.

Remember not to burden the alumni with details. Each story should be concise, yet interesting. A good rule of thumb is that if the undergraduates find a newsletter very interesting, the alumni will probably not like it. The only chapter related information to include would be about a campus happening, a traditional chapter event, or an update of the chapter's condition."

I may be atypical, but I do not agree with this assessment. Yes, I want to read about other alumni, but unless I get to know them as undergraduates, why would I care about them as alumni? My chapter is approaching 700 initiates. Why would I only want to hear about the same 60 or 70 guys I knew in school 35 years ago?

The chapter should tell us something about the current undergraduates - who they are, where they're from, what they're majoring in, what offices they hold, and when they graduate. Then there will be a lot of alumni I will look forward to reading about. But those future stories can be written in the alumni association's newsletter.

What do you guys think? Is it just me?

Old 02-07-2007, 05:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Me, Too!

Brothers,

I agree with Brother Jono. I like to read about what is going on now with my Chapter. I don't want to get "stuck" in the past history of my Zeta. Things change and I want to know about it so that I an feel a part of the current life of my Chapter.

I like Alumni news, too. I think the 80% active Chapter and 20% Alumni news is perfect for a High Rho/Zeta publication.

I can keep up with my "college daze" group through the activities of our Alumni Association.

Yours in ZAX,

Mike Raymond,
ZUZAA
Old 02-07-2007, 06:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I also agree. While I'm still a young alumni, I don't want to hear about the same few guys every year, I'd rather hear about what is happening at the chapter house. We're nearing 2000 initiates!
Old 02-07-2007, 07:11 PM
GreekChat Member

2000 initiates! Wow! But I bet I know more about you than most of your alumni do, like you were on the IRT, because the High Rho never told them in a newsletter. Wait a minute, you were the High Rho! hahahaha...

ZAX,
Jono

Old 02-07-2007, 07:12 PM
GreekChat Member

just kidding, Matt.

Old 02-07-2007, 08:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to john1082 Send a message via AIM to john1082 Send a message via MSN to john1082 Send a message via Yahoo to john1082
50 / 50 mix

I really don't think that we need more than 50% chapter news. Do folks really care about the IM game against the Tekes? In-depth IM standings? Extensive bios of the undergrad officers occupying 2/3 of the publication? I say this because I have seen a fair number of newsletters with just this stuff. The alumni don't care if High Sigma Snicklefrits has three sisters and a dog named Rover.

House corp news needs to be there as does information from the alumni association if there is one. Local area LXA news is also appropriate if there are other chapters in the immediate area; remember that most folks stay relatively close to home after graduation.

GreekChat.com - The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network
Old 02-08-2007, 07:36 AM
GreekChat Member

No, but I do think they would be interested in how many AMs they have or if the chapter won IFC chaper of the year. A profile on the brother who won IFC man of the year would also be a good article. We'll see if my chapter includes any of the above.

Jono, I don't mind at all.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Regardless of the mix of Active and Alumni, a printed posted and snail cost can be prohibitive to many Zeta.

It is so much easier and cheaper to put out an electronic message. Even a printed mailer can only be a 4 page fold over, it can still cost a lot of money in mailing alone.

While the burden will fall on the Rhos shoulders, remember, they are usually there for only one year. So, 1-4 good Rhos are good, it only takes one to blow the whole thing out of the water and the ball is dropped.

As Brother Jono pointed out, it is supposed to be a twice yearly publication which is all well and fine=money again.

While We all want to know about OUR ZETA as Brother John mentioned there is no need to just fill the space alloted.

Chapter news letter:

1. Semester events with time line.
2. Chapter News.
3. Active Info-two.
4. Alumni Info-two.
5. Special events.
6. A contact to change email, address, phone number. The Rho/Alumni President or a member of Alumni group.

While these are just some of my thoughts and from getting our newsletter in the past, it worked for may of us.

Another idea that I saw was and we used to do it was to have an Officer Chapter email that was passed on when people changed. It stayed with the Zeta and was just changed by the new officer signing up for it. It is usually provided free via the school edu site. Thank you for remeinding me of that!

LX Z # 1
Alumni