GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 2,030
0 members and 2,030 guests
No Members online

Old 12-05-2017, 11:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
rileykae, I had another thought to share with you (and others reading who may have something to add):

Sorority membership is not going to complete you. You join a sorority just as you are. You change during the course of your membership, just as non-members change. It's part of the human journey at that time in life. HOWEVER

being in a sorority can (and often will) magnify all your flaws, and shortcomings, and weaknesses. Trust me. If you're not in a stable place to begin with, being in a group of women who have, on the outside, everything you think you want/need/lack, will only make you feel much worse about yourself. Comparing your insides to everyone else's outsides is a sure-fire recipe for disaster. You bring yourself to the table just as you are. It's not the reverse. The group doesn't "fix" you or anyone else. It goes back to insight, doing the hard work, etc. Seeking validation outwardly is only going to make you feel worse than you already do.
I think AZ Theta summed this up perfectly. Also just to add, many people out there are the walking wounded due to assault, abuse and/or some other traumatic event. Myself included. As my panhellenic sister mentioned being in a sorority sometimes can enhance your own personal feelings of being flawed, I still sometimes struggle with this even as a member of my alumnae chapter. Often not by reason of how others treat you but how you see yourself. I can't speak for your directly but some questions to ask yourself is your desire to be apart of greek life due to wanting to have some sense of normalcy and belonging? Is it a means of you trying to move forward from what happened to you and find some safety amongst peers?

Being a young adult (I'm just guessing here) you're still evolving and trying to figure out life and who you are and where you belong. And its not always an easy journey. I'd strongly encourage to perhaps shelve this idea and really work with a professional that can help you unpack your feelings related to your assault. Hopefully through working on yourself with the help of a professional you're able to find the best path that works for you.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator

A good place to begin your "you" journey is at the counseling center on your campus. Often the first visit is free and fees are based on a sliding scale or there may be no fees at all. We have to know who we are and be comfortable with ourselves before others will.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:24 PM
GreekChat Member

All great advice,my sisters!